Brewer Fanatic

RRR Illogical?

greeg35

There appear to be several ongoing illogical choices being made by our new manager and they worry me.

what is with the Nieves phenomenon? I have been pleasantly surprised that he looks as good as advertised behind the plate; but his bat and arm (edit: same?) are so much worse than my heartthrob Kottaras that it seems evident he shouldn't be on the roster and should never play. Yet here he is. I'm afraid the Narveson/Nieves theory may be correct and Nieves sticks around for the year. I'd be OK with trading Kottaras for SS depth; but I'd still go with Maldonado over Nieves in that case. He's at least as good a hitter and defender, has a better arm, and is younger and cheaper. So I do not understand Nieves phenomenon at all. Then again its one of 4 current phenomenons and one potential phenomenon that I don't understand:

1) Kotsay on roster (slightly understandable) and playing over Plush while Hart is out (not understandable)
2) Nieves on roster and playing--possibly on roster for the long haul
3) Gomez hitting second
4) Not finding a Betancourt replacement (admittedly, more of a Melvin thing. shockingly, I understand this one most)
5) (potential) Gomez ever playing over Plush against righties when Hart gets back

None of these make any logical sense to me. They are tolerable as long as we are winning; but it worries me that the person in charge of decisions sees logic in them.

Do you?

I'm concerned about his strategy on the whole. He's been having Yo bunt when he's up with a runner on, which bothers me quite a bit as well. Basically the only thing I like about Roenicke's strategy so far is the defensive shifts (which I actually like quite a bit).

They are tolerable as long as we are winning; but it worries me that the person in charge of decisions sees logic in them.

I don't agree that they are tolerable as long as the Brewers are winning in spite of them. These types of decisions make it more difficult for the team to win, so they will eventually lead to losses even if they haven't so far. I wanted to give Roenicke the benefit of the doubt after he was hired, even though he sounded like a small-ball baseball lifer type. So far he's done nothing to change my initial impression of him, and that's disappointing.

Another thing I don't understand is what magical veteran pixie dust Nieves & Kotsay have that Counsell doesn't. Seems like CC has hardly played this season.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Another thing I don't understand is what magical veteran pixie dust Nieves & Kotsay have that Counsell doesn't. Seems like CC has hardly played this season.

I think it goes back to the ridiculous decision to keep 6 outfielders and only 5 infielder on the roster. Now, of course, it's 3 catchers and only 5 outfielders, but still Counsell is the only infielder on the bench. So it's basically the same problem with having only 2 catchers, you can't use Counsell as a pinch hitter because if someone gets injured, there's no one else left to play. It's stupid that a manager who supposedly values veteran experience can't use his most experienced pinch hitter. Though I'm not sure why Counsell can't get a few more starts at SS once in a while.

I'm puzzled by the Kotsay love too. I just don't get how there can possibly be a situation where a righty is on the mound and a healthy Morgan is on the bench while Kotsay and Gomez weakly ground out/strike out.
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

Community Moderator

I guess we finally have a Roenicke thread.

1) Kotsay: Not upset yet, will be if he's still here when Corey Hart returns. Would like to see Nyjer Morgan play more also--but at least he's been putting Morgan in later in the game. I suspect the Kotsay situation may be related to upper management.

2) Nieves: Not related to Roenicke. If he's on the roster, he should play occasionally. I also do not know his relationship with the pitchers, but since Narveson is doing well with him, why mess with it?

3) Gomez: I have no problem with Gomez batting second until Corey Hart gets back. The replacement options aren't much better.

4) Betancourt: Best shortstop on the roster, hence he should start.

5) Gomez/Morgan: Competition is good, but I think a platoon is the right way to handle this. We'll see I guess.

I am also a big fan of the defensive shifts.

I haven't seen much small ball. The Brewers have 6 stolen bases and have put down 4 sacrifice bunts in 12 games. Perhaps some of that is due to lack of opportunity?

He should also get lots of credit for the quick recovery from the 0-4 start and for the overall comments of players which suggest that they enjoy playing for him.

He does need to learn how to double switch.

Number 4 is really a Melvin thing. We don't have a viable full time #2 hitter when Morgan isn't in the lineup so that explains #3. I assume you meant vs righties in #5, Morgan is terrible against lefties?

I like when Gomez and Morgan or a pitcher bunts. Even though our pitchers are decent hitters they still stink as hitters and hit the ball on the ground way too much. Gomez and Morgan can both beat bunts out for hits so it makes their bunts a lot more valuable. Other guys pretty much never should bunt though.

I think it goes back to the ridiculous decision to keep 6 outfielders and only 5 infielder on the roster.
I would say we have 3 outfielders and 3 1B. I am not sure we should count Almonte or Kotsay as outfielders. They even have them listed as infielders on the website.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

1) Kotsay on the roster wouldn't be terrible as long as he never saw the field. At best, having him on the roster is a waste of a spot that could be used on somebody at least mildly productive. Starting Kotsay over Morgan against RHP's is horrible.

2) Nieves I won't fight that hard against, Kottaras is not clearly better, although I would probably go with Kottaras.

3) Even in this lineup, there is no way Gomez should hit second.

4) Betancourt is mostly on Melvin, but why not start Counsell 3 times a week at SS?

5) Don't be surprised.

I agree with the Kotsay part. No idea what he thinks Kotsay gives us over Morgan.

Im OK with Gomez batting second for now and Betancourt is playing pretty solid right now IMO.

I think Nieves will be gone when Hart is back.

Archived