Brewer Fanatic

2011-04-15 Brewers (Narveson) at Nationals (Gorzelanny) - 6:05 PM CDT [Brewers lose, 4-3, 10 innings]

Yuni's throw away was horrible, but the steal of 3rd almost makes me just as mad and not holding him on 3rd the same.. The nats did literally nothing to win that game in the 10th, we just decided to give it to them
Yuni's throw was off, but that mess was more on Prince. A good first baseman comes off the bag to catch Yuni's throw and puts a tag on Werth. A bad first basemen comes off the bag and catches it, keeping Werth at first. Then you have Prince, who glues himself to the bag and lets the ball go off his glove.

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just one game. No need to overreact. Yuni and Prince and below defenders, we know that and that isn't going to change. They are not going to be DFA anytime soon no matter how much you throw that out there. Hopefully RR learned something tonight and Zack realizes he has to hold a runner on.

Just one game. No need to overreact. Yuni and Prince and below defenders, we know that and that isn't going to change. They are not going to be DFA anytime soon no matter how much you throw that out there. Hopefully RR learned something tonight and Zack realizes he has to hold a runner on.

stop sounding so rational.

Regardless if Yuni continues with his .205 avg and sub .550 OPS I'd have to think that at least half the short stops in AAA could hit for the same crappy numbers while not sucking at defense.

I tried to log in on my iPad. Turns out it was an etch-a-sketch and I don't own an iPad. Also, I'm out of vodka.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

This is the type of loss you look at when you miss the playoffs by 2 games. The Nats did NOTHING to win that game. The Brewers gave it away with piss poor defense and situational managing. Completely understandable for people to be irrational and upset after a loss like this.

This is the type of loss you look at when you miss the playoffs by 2 games. The Nats did NOTHING to win that game. The Brewers gave it away with piss poor defense and situational managing. Completely understandable for people to be irrational and upset after a loss like this.

Even if they did have a flawless inning on defense, that game was not theirs. They still needed to score at some point and then hold the Nats as well.

It does suck but every team can look back at games throughout the year and say "what if?". There is no need to ruin a night or a weekend on it, especially when they get another chance to get a win tomorrow barring bad weather. The 162 games is the beauty of baseball, you almost always get a chance to redeem yourself tomorrow.

Regardless if Yuni continues with his .205 avg and sub .550 OPS I'd have to think that at least half the short stops in AAA could hit for the same crappy numbers while not sucking at defense.

That would be a huge drop off if he stays at .550 from his career norms. I doubt that happens. That isn't to say that DM shouldn't be looking to upgrade the team, I am sure that he is.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Even if they did have a flawless inning on defense, that game was not theirs. They still needed to score at some point and then hold the Nats as well.

It does suck but every team can look back at games throughout the year and say "what if?". There is no need to ruin a night or a weekend on it, especially when they get another chance to get a win tomorrow barring bad weather. The 162 games is the beauty of baseball, you almost always get a chance to redeem yourself tomorrow.

That would be comforting if I didn't think this type of game WILL happen again to this team. Roenicke seems to love micro-managing, but some of the stuff just doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

That would be comforting if I didn't think this type of game WILL happen again to this team. Roenicke seems to love micro-managing, but some of the stuff just doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

The shifts I can deal with, I would hope there is some data to support them. I do agree with you about his PHers and lineups being a little off sometimes. That's what I was referring to when I said I hope RR learned something from today's loss. I wasn't a huge fan of CC PHing instead of Nyjer at that point in the 9th.

I really like the shifting from Roenicke, I liked the 5 infielders thing in concept. But a good microcosm of what's wrong with Roenicke -- effectively utilizing his personnel -- was that Erick Almonte was still in RF when two OFs were expected to cover far more ground. Nyjer Morgan doesn't get subbed in there? Seriously?

Roenicke is a bit of a knucklehead. He does some things right, but he makes way too many mistakes to be an asset at this point.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I was so pissed when Roenicke didn't pinch-hit Morgan for Almonte in the 8th with 2 on. And then he also doesn't put him in defensively after that? C'mon man. Then he goes and uses Counsell to pinch-hit to leadoff the 9th when he doesn't have a hit all year, ok? Just some bad moves by Roenicke.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

These are all valid points about the managing, positioning, etc, but I just cannot get over the fact that the Brewers are playoff hopefuls with freaking Yuniesky Betancourt at shortstop. Prince is a horrible defender too, but at least he provides great offense and doesn't play at the most important defensive position.

Some observations from the tough loss at Nationals Park:

(1) Ballpark was dead. Capitals game had something to do with it.

(2) Good turnout of Brewers fans. Evident around the Metro and in the walk to and from the ballpark. When Weeks hit his homer, you could see several sections where Brewers fans were massed (3rd base side, LF corner, above Brewers bullpen). Would guess a Brewers fan contingent around 500+. (Last year, the Saturday game was both a UW-Madison and Marquette University alumni outing; if that's the case this year, there should be even more.)

(3) Current lineup against LHPs is dreadful. Hart can't come back soon enough to see Erick Almonte DFA'd. Whenever the team gets to "full strength," it should at least have a decent bench.

(4) The infield shifts were interesting. They may be based on sound analysis, but with a 2B and SS with limited range, the shift becomes "all-in" concerning results. There is little margin of error with the infield shifts.

(5) Bottom of 10th was a comedy of errors (literally and figuratively). The defensive side of the game is not the Brewers' strength. It cost them tonight.

(6) Narveson's outing was good enough to win most nights. If he is our #5 starter, then the rotation is solid.

(7) Home plate umpiring: hard to tell from the LF corner, but it seemed like the strike zone was atypical or erratic tonight. I would wager that Narveson's bad inning was worsened by that, but those who got the game on TV will have to give definitive judgment.

So far, I've yet to see the Brewers win in DC. Hope that changes with Gallardo on the mound tomorrow. Weather will be dicey, but there is potential of getting the game in. Roenicke may have to play for some early runs, in case the game doesn't go the full 9 innings.

I knew when I came back to the thread tonight what the reaction would be. But sorry to tell you but any, and I mean any, other first baseman makes that a routine play. He had to stretch a little but it hit right off his glove and wasn't that much of a stretch. It looked tough for Prince because he is not tall and not very good at 1st. But that is as routine as it gets for anyone else. But as expected, all the blame goes to Yuni. Shocking! Back at it tomorrow with Yo.

I agree that Prince could've made the catch. The fact that he's short for a 1B certainly didn't help on that play. As far as the throw, after watching it a few times, I'm not sure a perfect throw would've even gotten Werth. He got a huge jump off third, and a perfect throw might have made it a play, but he likely still would've been safe. I think they should've had Prince a little farther in on that play. Oh well, we'll get 'em tomorrow (or Sunday, because it will probably be rained out) with Yo on the mound.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

It was a very poor throw by Betancourt on a routine ground ball that should be an out 99% of the time. He threw the ball three feet wide of first base. Fielder has saved Betancourt a few times already this year, and half the reason he didn't make the play is because he was trying to stay on the bag. When the throw is three feet off the bag, there isn't a whole lot you can do. Even had Fielder come off to catch it, Werth likely is still safe.

In regards to the play at the plate, Werth beats even a perfect throw to the plate, he got a great jump.

"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

I agree Fielder would have caught the ball if he was a bit taller (and consequently would have longer arms). The throw from Betancourt was quite poor, though. There was no reason the throw should have been that wide. I agree that Werth would have likely been safe, regardless. People forget he has good speed.

Bad ending to a winnable game. Hopefully the Brewers come in this afternoon with a chip on their shoulders and kick some butt. They can still win this series, which would be huge going into Philadelphia.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Too much focus on the 10th (which would've never happened if it wasn't for a VERY clutch piece of hitting by one of our worst hitters) and not enough on the 2nd, where our pitcher walked in 2 runs - one being the left-handed swinging opposing pitcher, and Ryan Braun somehow did not throw out Mike Morse on what was almost an infield popout.

I'm pretty sure Braun thought that ball bounced and tried to throw out the guy at 1B. At least, that's where his throw went.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Archived