Brewer Fanatic

2011-04-15 Brewers (Narveson) at Nationals (Gorzelanny) - 6:05 PM CDT [Brewers lose, 4-3, 10 innings]

I don't think Prince gets Werth, anyway.

As they are showing on MLB Network, McGehee was so far off the line that Werth had a gigantic lead. No chance to get him at home.

not a chance in hell. werth was halfway down the line when the ball was hit. thats what happens when you have mcgehee shifted to essentially shortstop.

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Nats TV guys make a good point that even with 5 infielders, no one was holding Werth on 3rd base and his lead was HUGE. Did you see how far McGehee was away from the bag?
Completely correct. They are analyzing it on MLB Network right now. There was no way Prince would've gotten Werth even if he got it out of his glove cleanly. No way.

Doug Melvin wants to stick it to everyone and prove that Betancourt is not the horrible baseball player that everyone can clearly see that he is. We'll see how many more of these we have to lose because of him...

Maybe I could live with him if he hit .300, but the dude is a hack at the plate too. Just disgusting.

DFA Betancourt now seriously, I'd take someone literally off the street

Its pathetic this guy is even on the roster. He can't hit, he can't field, he is the worst baseball player in in the majors. First of many games he'll cost us if we keep trotting this turd out there.

Still, what the heck is he double clutching for?
If you're talking about YuBet, lots of players do that as a timing/rhythm thing. I have no problem with it as long as they get the ball where it needs to go on time.

If you're talking about Prince, I don't get what you're asking. He double clutched because he didn't get it out of his glove cleanly.

for the love of god just find a AA SS who can play defense because it won't be hard to live without the .205 avg YunE6 is putting up
I tried to log in on my iPad. Turns out it was an etch-a-sketch and I don't own an iPad. Also, I'm out of vodka.

WTH was with with the five infielders...do other teams do that or is that RRR managing with his gut?

i've seen other teams do it. he's figuring anything hit out of the infield is probably going to get werth home....so don't let it out of the infield. i actually like it, just don't like playing mcgehee so far off of third.

If you're talking about YuBet, lots of players do that as a timing/rhythm thing. I have no problem with it as long as they get the ball where it needs to go on time.

If you're talking about Prince, I don't get what you're asking. He double clutched because he didn't get it out of his glove cleanly.

You're right. I was talking about Prince--on first glance I thought he hesitated before coming home.

The Nats TV guys make a good point that even with 5 infielders, no one was holding Werth on 3rd base and his lead was HUGE. Did you see how far McGehee was away from the bag?
Completely correct. They are analyzing it on MLB Network right now. There was no way Prince would've gotten Werth even if he got it out of his glove cleanly. No way.
On top of that, who didn't see Werth stealing 3rd base from a mile away? McGehee was nowhere close to third base on that play either and Braddock didn't make much of an effort to keep him on second. We know how fast Werth is. Where is Roenicke reinforcing these things in a tie ballgame in the 10th inning?

What a way to lose a game. Apparently our pitchers and infielders need to go to a few clinics on 'holding runners close to the bag'.

This. Giving Werth 3rd and then not holding him at 3rd when you're trying to get him at the plate is just idiotic.

2 things:

1.) There has to plenty of FA shortstops out there that are better than Betancourt
2.) What on earth was Roenickie thinking with that defensive set up?? Werth was halfway down the basepath!! All Ankiel needed to do was hit the ball into play, regardless where or how far! Did RR think there was 2 outs or something??

Ridiculous. Incompetence everywhere. Melvin, you truly are thickheaded. RR, terrible, terrible managing.

If we lose the division or wild card by one game..

This loss is on:

50% YB
50% RR's incompetence in the 10th inning

WTH was with with the five infielders...do other teams do that or is that RRR managing with his gut?

i've seen other teams do it. he's figuring anything hit out of the infield is probably going to get werth home....so don't let it out of the infield. i actually like it, just don't like playing mcgehee so far off of third.

That's what I don't get. If you're gonna have five infielders, shouldn't that allow you to play McG closer to the bag, holding Werth on?

Great question. The guy is just so bad on defense. Horrible double clutch, god awful throw. You don't see that in amateur ball. Ugh.

"We all know he is going to be a flaming pile of Suppan by that time." -fondybrewfan

our apathy about Werth stealing 3rd and getting a jump on home was almost as terrible as Yuni.fail
I tried to log in on my iPad. Turns out it was an etch-a-sketch and I don't own an iPad. Also, I'm out of vodka.

That's where the defensive alignment failed. You bring in the extra IFer so you don't need to pull Casey away from 3rd. They got exactly what they wanted. A sharp ground ball to first but since Werth wasn't being held close to the bag there was no chance at making the play at home.

Archived