Brewer Fanatic

Adrian Gonzalez signs 7 yr/$154 million contract extension with Red Sox

Invader3K

Adrian Gonzalez has been a little more consistent than Fielder and has 3 Gold Gloves. Fielder is a couple years younger and his peak years exceeded Gonzalez' albeit in a more hitter friendly environment.

All in all though, I think their value is pretty close assuming this is a big Fielder year and $154 over 7 is certainly shy of the numbers Boras has thrown out there for Fielder.

Earlier today I was thinking that Fielder won't come close to getting a contract like A-Gon just received, but the more I think about it...I could see something very similar. Especially if Fielder has an excellent season as he seems on track for.

Still, a contract like that is more than the Brewers can and should commit. Like someone suggested on Twitter this morning, I could see a team like Baltimore signing him to such a deal.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

In the back of all of our minds we are just hoping Fielder ends up in a place like Baltimore so we can still cheer for him. If for whatever reason he would sign with the Yanks, Red Sox, or heaven forbid the Cubs or Cardinals; we would have to hate the guy. I like Prince so I am hoping he goes to a team that isn't directly competing with the Brewers or a big market over exposed team that everyone just loves to hate anyways.

I think the $22M per year is probably about right for Fielder but 7 years would be pushing it for him. No doubt that he will get it though.

Yeah I think Fielder gets close to the same per year but more like a 5 year contract and I think Baltimore makes a ton of sense. Their pitching is hitting the majors now and their lineup could really use a big bat in the middle.

7/154 with the clause that Prince can opt out after 4 years is definitely a possibility. Especially if Prince can continue to mold well with Roenicke and wants to keep playing for him and his fellow teammates (winning team) for the next several years. I won't be surprised in the slightest if we see this occur.

Pujols will sign a 10 year, $250MM contract, and Prince will use the Pujols and Gonzalez contracts to end up with a deal the Brewers shouldn't even attempt to match. Part of me hopes it's not the Cubs, as Prince is an elite player now, and it'd help the Cubs in the short term. Part of me wants to see the Cubs sign him to a 10-year deal so I can hear the Cubs fans complaining when they're paying a 380-pound 36 year old Fielder well over $20MM / year.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

^ The thought of a 380 pound Prince Fielder playing 1st base for the Cubs gave me quite a laugh.

For the Red Sox, Gonzalez will probably be worth it. They're just in an entirely different league when it comes to marginal revenue from wins. I won't mind having him outside of the NL.

Yeah I think Fielder gets close to the same per year but more like a 5 year contract and I think Baltimore makes a ton of sense. Their pitching is hitting the majors now and their lineup could really use a big bat in the middle.

I doubt he only gets a 5 year 110 million dollar contract.

There is a disconnect between actual value and what his value will be on the market. I would bet my house that people thought Werth was "worth" something in that neighborhood of 5 years 75 million.

I suspect Prince will get close to 7/175. That's not what I think he's worth, but that's what I think he'll get. And I think Baltimore is the most likely destination. He'd actually be a great fit there and he could help them actually contend with the Red Sox and Yankee's moving forward. That young core of pitchers that looks to be fantastic as well as the young offensive players that seems to be lagging a bit with Weiters, Jones and others, but is still very formidable.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Archived