Brewer Fanatic

Rainout forces doubleheader; Latest benefit -- Brewers to miss Oswalt

UWMike

Looking ahead, weather is supposed to be miserable in DC on Saturday. Should we expect a DH on Sunday knowing that this is the Crew's only trip to DC?

Brewers play in Philly Monday night, and Nats have Monday off.

Would mean Yo on 6 days rest, not sure if that is good or not. I guess he could pitch Friday if they realize that Saturday might not happen.

That forecast looks brutal. I would think they would reschedule for later. Doubleheaders don't make as much money, so they're a last resort. Both teams have an open day on May 26, ironically after the Crew plays Washington in Miller. The bad part is it's in the middle of a Brewer homestand. There are a couple of similar dates later in the season, but they aren't any better logistic-wise.

That forecast looks brutal. I would think they would reschedule for later. Doubleheaders don't make as much money, so they're a last resort. Both teams have an open day on May 26, ironically after the Crew plays Washington in Miller. The bad part is it's in the middle of a Brewer homestand. There are a couple of similar dates later in the season, but they aren't any better logistic-wise.
Pretty sure they'd play the doubleheader. Doesn't make sense not to. There's been a decent amount of doubleheaders already this year for other teams. This would probably hurt our bullpen a little, but really they'd be coming off an off-day, and we'd have Gallardo pitching one of the games. I don't think it would matter that much. Parra might be ready to get activated soon after that anyway. At least this wouldn't mess up the rotation either. Gallardo could still come back and pitch on the next Friday anyway on regular rest. The bright side of making up the game at a later date would be that we could skip Estrada.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

On another note, I'd rather just see them play a doubleheader on Sunday, because if they try to play the game on Saturday, Gallardo could get wasted if he starts and has to stop for a long period of time. I would consider pitching him tomorrow for that reason, but it won't happen. Either way, if the weather is this bad, I'd rather just see the doubleheader.

The only option for a makeup day is May 26th as mentioned before but even that is less than ideal. Worst comes to worst they probably don't play the game at all and if it needs to be played at the end of the season to determine if a team makes the playoffs, then they play it on September 29th and if the Brewers or Nats make the playoffs their first game is October 1st.

If it isn't practical to work out a date to make up a rained out game in Washington, it would likely be made up when the Nats come to Milwaukee.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Idk why everyone is talking about all these weird scenarios. What is preventing them from just playing a doubleheader on Sunday? Like I said, lots of teams have played doubleheaders already. I'm sure that's what will happen. The only reason we didn't just do that with Pittsburgh, is because we play them again in Pittsburgh later this season.

A doubleheader this weekend in Washington would be the first choice. If a doubleheader can't happen or if two games are rained out, attempting to find a mutually acceptable date to play in Washington would be the second choice. Making up games in Milwaukee would be the third choice. Not making up games at all (or making them up at the end of the season only if necessary) would be the fourth choice.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Community Moderator
There is a chance the rain could hold off until after the game on Saturday. The current NWS forecast doesn't have the rain starting until 5 PM Saturday. Sunny and nice today and on Sunday.

Man, I hope not. I wouldn't want the Crew to play 18 innings (especially the bullpen) going into Philly.
Normally I'd agree, but assuming neither of the starters have a <3 inning start, our bullpen can probably use the work, especially if we're off on Saturday.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I think the bullpen can definitely survive a doubleheader. Especially with a day off before. Everyone will be available, and Gallardo would be pitching one of the games. We'd probably need the pen for maybe 7 innings tops, and there's a definite chance it'd be less than that.

Would it maybe make sense to hold off on starting Gallardo and just start him on Sunday if the game does start on Saturday? That way if the Saturday game does get delayed after a couple innings, you'll get more than just those couple of innings out of him.

The rain arrived early, the game today will almost certainly be called off.

From my amateur radar reading skills it looks like most of the rain will have moved on through by right about noon or soon thereafter, with only a few scattered showers this afternoon. I'll say there is somewhere from a 1.5-3 hour delay to get the field in game shape and then it starts up. I'd be surprised if they postponed it altogether in favor of a double header when they basically have all day to play it today.

Archived