Brewer Fanatic

2011 summerfest thread.

patrickgpe
i think this is the best lineup in years. i listen to indie though so most of the bands i'm excited about are out of the main stream. If i didn't have a job that started early, i'd be at sharon jones and the dap kings, flaming lips, girl talk, and edward sharpe and the magnetic zero. There are alot of local bands on the small stages that are some of my favorites, mainly i'm not a pilot, herman astro, jeanna salzer trio, and crooked keys. Looking at lineup, i can see how it may not be everyone's cup of tea, depending on your taste.

I went on Sunday to see Alejandro Escovedo and The Jayhawks. Absolutely fantastic to see The Jayhawks back. Amazing night. Granted, all of the earlier acts sucked, and I sat front row center the entire time, but it ended up being worth it.

Just a reminder that Here Come the Mummies is on tonight on the Miller Lite Oasis stage. They put on an amazing performance and I can't recommend them enough - they are a must-see.

Their website has some videos of live performances to give you an idea of their music, particularly their performances on The Green and from their DVD:

http://www.herecomethemummies.com/media/videos

crossing off a band on my "musical bucket list" by seeing Flaming Lips on Saturday. I'd recommend it, they put on a great live show, no matter your musical tastes.

It will definitely be the show of the year at Summerfest. I'm looking forward to seeing The Get Up Kids @ 8:00 too.

Does anyone know of any bars that do a shuttle to Summerfest?

"Fiers, Bill Hall and a lucky SSH winner will make up tomorrow's rotation." AZBrewCrew

Saw Def Leppard/Heart and thought it was a great show. Showing my age, but if you went to HS in the 80s, hard not to like a set when you know every single song. Heart was strong too. I know they're not critically acclaimed, in fact more of a joke to most. But hey, I like what I like. And even if you don't like the music, you gotta respect groups that can still go out there and perform at a high level at their age.

Just a reminder that Here Come the Mummies is on tonight on the Miller Lite Oasis stage. They put on an amazing performance and I can't recommend them enough - they are a must-see.

Their website has some videos of live performances to give you an idea of their music, particularly their performances on The Green and from their DVD:

http://www.herecomethemummies.com/media/videos

Plus you can freely download some of their music on noisetrade.com

I loved the lineup this year, both for older acts and the newer indie bands I like. Highlight of the 3 days I went, however, was Toots and the Maytals - Toots is 66 years old and they just brought it. Reggae and ska legends - what a show!

Three annoying things about Summerfest this year:

1: Beer pours at Lakefront Brewery are never full. It's a 12 oz glass and I get 9 oz of beer. Learn how to pour.

2: People standing on the bleachers during a show. Seriously, what does this accomplish? It blocks the view for everyone who isn't on the bleachers and you (standing on bleacher guy) don't gain anything because the people in front of you are standing on the bleachers too. Stop the madness. Remove the bleachers.

3: Drunk girls who sit on their boyfriend's shoulders during a show. In the middle of the Lips show a drunk girl stumbled her way through the crowd and proceeded to climb onto her boyfriend's shoulders for "Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots" because it's her "favorite song wooooo!!!!!!." Meanwhile I can't see and have to listen to her drunken "singing" during one of my favorite songs.

http://images.yuku.com/image/jpg/24426a3300d0d60296ee20abe64724ff8bed02fb.jpg

Edit: Yoshimi on left. Yovani on right.

I like the Flaming Lips and Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots more than you drunk girl.

"Fiers, Bill Hall and a lucky SSH winner will make up tomorrow's rotation." AZBrewCrew

1: Beer pours at Lakefront Brewery are never full. It's a 12 oz glass and I get 9 oz of beer. Learn how to pour.

2: People standing on the bleachers during a show. Seriously, what does this accomplish? It blocks the view for everyone who isn't on the bleachers and you (standing on bleacher guy) don't gain anything because the people in front of you are standing on the bleachers too. Stop the madness. Remove the bleachers.

3: Drunk girls who sit on their boyfriend's shoulders during a show. In the middle of the Lips show a drunk girl stumbled her way through the crowd and proceeded to climb onto her boyfriend's shoulders for "Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots" because it's her "favorite song wooooo!!!!!!." Meanwhile I can't see and have to listen to her drunken "singing" during one of my favorite songs.

Edit: Yoshimi on left. Yovani on right.

I like the Flaming Lips and Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots more than you drunk girl.

1. The beer pours seemed to be like that everywhere.

2. That happens every year. It's probably not going to go away.

3. Unfortunately happens every year too, but it doesn't make it less annoying. I'll add people talking during shows in general to this. I don't remember the exact Lips song, it was a longer quieter one, but some guy was talking to his friends the ENTIRE time. There wasn't more than 5 seconds of silence from him. I get that it's Summerfest and there's always going to be drunken idiots talking during shows, but at least do it far enough back so you're not disturbing people.

P.S. Awesome cat names.

they usually pour them up to the fill line which i think is the 12 oz?

flaming lips were the highlight for me too, such a fun show. Loved Wayne Coyne starting in his space bubble and the over sized ballons that he threw in the audience that when popped they were full of confetti.

http://www.oklahomarock.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/coyne_bubble.jpg

All reasons why I never have, nor will I ever go to Summerfest. I love live music but I can live without the crowd it attracts.

Archived