Brewer Fanatic

2011 summerfest thread.

patrickgpe

2 stages announced, figure lets start thinking of warmer times.

The Miller Lite Oasis lineup:

June 29:

Matisyahu

June 30:

Better Than Ezra

July 1:

Girl Talk

July 2:

Maroon 5

July 3:

Rise Against

July 5:

Paul Rodgers

July 6:

O.A.R.

July 7:

Michael Franti & Spearhead with Here Come the Mummies

July 8:

Goo Goo Dolls

July 9:

To be announced

July 10:

Briggs big backyard stage

June 29:Meat Loaf

June 30:

Funkmaster George Clinton

July 1:

Alt-rockers Third Eye Blind

July 2:

Country's party-ready piano player Phil Vassar

July 3:The

Jayhawks with Alejandro Escovedo and the Ike Reilly

Assassination

July 5:

Reggae's the Wailers

July 6:Danny

Gokey

July 7:

Neo-soul artist Raphael Saddiq

July 8:

To be announced

July 9:

Waukesha's BoDeans

July 10:

Singer-songwriter Amos Lee with Willy Porter

definitely will be at the girl talk concert and would like to go see Amos Lee. Looking forward to more announcements.

May have to go see Third Eye Blind for old time's sake. It will be almost 13 years to the day that my wife and I had our first date seeing Third Eye Blind on the Briggs stage.

Meat Loaf? Really? I have caught him on "Celebrity Apprentice" a few times and I can't even imagine what he could possibly have left on stage.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

May have to go see Third Eye Blind for old time's sake. It will be almost 13 years to the day that my wife and I had our first date seeing Third Eye Blind on the Briggs stage.
I was at that show as well.

I miss Summerfest. We have nothing musically like it here in the Bay Area. I guess we have Noise Pop and Outsidelands but those don't offer the value that Summerfest does as far as band proximity and cost. I'm jealous because in addition to hearting the Brewers and every other WI sports team I heart music. WI music scene in summer > SF music scene in summer

Speaking of 2002, where are the Guffs?!?!? http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

while i can't speak for the san francisco music scene, the milwaukee music scene has gotten much better in the last 5 years. Bands that would have never come around in the past have been playing at the riverside, pabst, milwaukee theater etc. In addition the local bands have gotten much better in quality. I am as big of a music buff and baseball buff and there really isn't a weekend where i can't find a good show to go to if i wanted to, 5 years ago I don't think i could say that.

Speaking of 2002, where are the Guffs?!?!? http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

I was a huge Gufs fan when I was in high school. One of my first concerts was The Gufs at Shank Hall. I think I caught a tape that they threw into the audience. Wow, that was 20+ years ago. I saw them at Summerfest a couple of years ago and they were awful. Totally mailed it in. I know they're still around, but I don't have any desire to see them.

Totally agree with Patrick on the MKE music scene. Not too long ago, this was a huge cover band city and bands like the Love Monkeys and Eddie Butts were headlining Summerfest side stages. Not so much anymore, there are a ton of good original bands here. Some of the best parts of Summerfest are the 6:00 and 8:00 time slots, many of these get filled by local bands, who are essentially opening for the headliners. Sure, some of headliners are underwhelming (I'm looking in your direction Mr. Loaf), but they all draw well, which creates the largest crowd any of these local bands have likely ever played in front of.

The local and tier 2 bands like to look at it as "the well known band is closing for us."

I worked at the pizza place with a guy who toured with a band as the "sound guy." He often talked about 6 guys in one hotel room, sleeping in the van, drinking/drugs, not/barely getting paid, and so on. When they came back to EC, my roommate went to see them. He said it was so loud, he could barely tell if it was good, bad, or whatever.

I told the guy i worked with this. He smiled and you could tell, it may have been the biggest compliment he had ever received. To him, "loud" was all that mattered.

I miss Summerfest. We have nothing musically like it here in the Bay Area. I guess we have Noise Pop and Outsidelands but those don't offer the value that Summerfest does as far as band proximity and cost. I'm jealous because in addition to hearting the Brewers and every other WI sports team I heart music. WI music scene in summer > SF music scene in summer

Obviously money is always a issue for big festivals, but the OSL lineup is pretty great considering the fest is only a couple years old I think. Plus it's the return of The Shins! I like Broken Bells and all, but I'd rather see The Shins make more music. Specifically Chutes Too Narrow Shins.

As far as Summerfest goes I'll probably get tickets for The Black Keys. Kanye would be cool to see but it's like $90+ with Ticketmaster fees, yikes.

The 102.1 stage usually has a couple good acts so I look forward to their announcements.

It's nuts that the Black Keys are headlining Summerfest. I saw them in a place that holds 250 or so a couple years ago.

Good for them

It's nice to see a quality band get some popularity vs a lot of the crap music that makes up so much of what's popular today. The small intimate type of settings you mentioned are good for fans fortunate enough to see a band before they hit big, but the band has to struggle to get by. The Black Keys are such a great band and deserve some financial windfall that comes with more popularity.

It's nuts that the Black Keys are headlining Summerfest. I saw them in a place that holds 250 or so a couple years ago.

Agreed. I remember a few years ago i found them because of this forum. I think Brian started a thread on new music you found or something like that, and it turned me on to them.

( '_')

( '_')>⌐■-■

(⌐■-■)

• 2 weeks later...
well all the major stages' headliners have been announced, there are 4 shows I am targeting but will probably only make 1 or 2: flaming lips, sharon jones and the dap kings, girl talk, and edward sharpe and the magnetic zero's. Overall it looks a pretty diverse and decent lineup.

Meat Loaf? Really? I have caught him on "Celebrity Apprentice" a few times and I can't even imagine what he could possibly have left on stage.
One of my groomsmen tried to book Meat Loaf for my wedding. We said we'd give him a free 12 oz. prime rib and $10 to spend at the bar. We never heard back. Thus, Meat Loaf is an arrogant jerk.

The band that you need to see is Here Come The Mummies on July 7th. They put on an amazing show and are one of the few bands I've seen that are better live than in person, and they have the coolest entrance of any band I have ever seen.

9-man funk band that I would say is a cross between Morris Day & The Time meets Oingo Boingo with Seth Rogen-esque humor. One on baritone sax, one on tenor sax, two on trumpet (with one doubling on harmonica and vocals), lead guitar, bass guitar, keyboards, drums, and bongos. They get DOWN.

Their website has lots of videos from shows and appearances on the Bob & Tom show. It's an all ages show, but while they don't use any obscenities in any of their lyrics they use a lot of innuendo. So while they dress like mummies (several reasons for that), unless you want your grade schooler singing "Do the walk, do the walk, do the walk, do the walk of shame..." in school the next day I'd pass on bringing the young ones.

I will definitely be at the Flaming Lips show. I'm not quite sure if they will be able to go all out given the venue though. Pat McCurdy plays earlier that day so it should be a fun day of music.

Unfortunately De la Soul performs the same time as the Lips otherwise I'd like to check them out.

Dropkick is always fun, but I can't imagine seeing them at Summerfest.

Toots and the Maytals would be a blast too, but the show is on Sunday and it's a long drive back to Madison.

"Fiers, Bill Hall and a lucky SSH winner will make up tomorrow's rotation." AZBrewCrew

• 1 month later...
If you're getting into Summerfest with an Amphitheatre ticket instead of a normal Summerfest ticket, do you need to go into a special entrace near the Marcus or will any entrance (main entrance) work?
"We all know he is going to be a flaming pile of Suppan by that time." -fondybrewfan

I'm guessing that the younger set really likes the Summerfest lineup this year. I say this because I'm old, and frankly I think it sucks. I can't see even one act that they have within the classic rock realm that I'd make the effort and spend the cash to attend for.

Archived