Brewer Fanatic

Which catcher would you release?

Tbadder
I'd prefer Kottaras because I think he is a much better hitter, but if Roenicke thinks Nieves is that much better defensively, I trust him, and would be ok w/ him playing the 30 games that Lucroy doesn't.

I was thinking about this yesterday. For as much as I hate the Personal Catcher™ concept, it might actually trap the Brewers into making the correct roster move when it comes time to decide between Nieves & Kottaras. Since Wolf really only likes throwing to Kottaras, I don't see how they keep Nieves.

Even though Wolf pitched well with Lucroy behind the plate (though, it was the Pirates), he looked frustrated & annoyed numerous times on the mound, and obviously Roenicke had Kottaras catch him in his very next start. Even though the decision to keep Kottaras is correct in my mind based on other, more important, factors, I think what will ultimately seal the deal is the Wolf tie-in.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I was thinking about this yesterday. For as much as I hate the Personal Catcher™ concept, it might actually trap the Brewers into making the correct roster move when it comes time to decide between Nieves & Kottaras. Since Wolf really only likes throwing to Kottaras, I don't see how they keep Nieves.

Even though Wolf pitched well with Lucroy behind the plate (though, it was the Pirates), he looked frustrated & annoyed numerous times on the mound, and obviously Roenicke had Kottaras catch him in his very next start. Even though the decision to keep Kottaras is correct in my mind based on other, more important, factors, I think what will ultimately seal the deal is the Wolf tie-in.

Not sure if you saw the broadcast but Brian and Bill mentioned that Kottaras and Wolf tend to hang out together.

I beginning to think they'll go with 3 a while longer. Once Hart returns, they'll DFA Almonte and once healthy, Morgan will see a lot of time in CF. With 3 catchers, they can pinch hit and double switch guys. With Morgan in the lineup, they'll have Gomez to pinch hit from the right side.

They would be short an infielder, but they really always were. In an extreme emergency of two middle infielders going down in the same game, McGehee can play 2B, Braun can play 3B.

It's also worth noting Kottaras appeared in one game at 3B with Boston and Nieves appeared in 2 games at 2B and one at 3B in the minors.

Yeah, the idea makes sense. I just don't see the point of keeping Nieves on the roster though. It seems like he'll rarely play, and he's worthless as a pinch-hitter. His only use is to sit there as an emergency third catcher. They might very well do it for awhile when Hart comes back, but it's hard to believe them going with 3 catchers all year.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

I don't see any reason to keep Nieves, he isn't a great defensive C by any means so you don't keep him around just for the glove. He can't hit at all so he isn't useful for that. I see the merits of keeping a strong defensive C for sure but Nieves isn't really one of those, he's an adequate defensive player and a black hole on offense.

Exactly Ennder, Kottaras has proved thus far to be a valuable asset with the bat, and Lucroy has definitely taken a step forward on his D. I'm cringing far less every time someone throws a ball in the dirt.

The unfortunate thing though is that we will be unable to use Kottaras as a PH a lot unless it's late innings and then putting him behind the plate, like the Braves do a lot with McCann (although he's better all around than George). But yeah, I'd let go of Nieves.

How many situations would Kottaras actually pinch-hit in though? He probably should get opportunities, but I would think that Kotsay and Counsell would be used ahead of him, and Morgan also if he isn't starting. Not saying that's how it should be, but that is likely how it would go.

That's true, and I wouldn't expect any different. I suppose what's more appealing about Kottaras is that he brings a power threat that Counsell and Morgan simply don't have, and Kotsay really hasn't shown much of recently. I'd say of those 4, George is a bigger HR threat and arguably the most likely to hit a double. Morgan could do it with his speed, but there's also a chance he won't be PH a lot once he's healthy again.

I agree with you that it would be smart to use Kottaras as a pinch-hitter, I just don't see it happening much. Roenicke for some reason thinks Kotsay can hit for power, and I would assume he would use Counsell and Morgan before Kottaras also. Morgan will start more, which would put Gomez on the bench. It wouldn't surprise me to see even Gomez hit before Kottaras.

Nieves has done a good job of catching Narveson this year. He was awesome against the Cubs and seems to know how to get the most out of Chris. Kottaras is such a poor catcher--For the backup job, I'd go with "more" defense, acknowledging that Nieves isn't Charles Johnson--but he's definitely the better of the two on defense.

Archived