Brewer Fanatic

Which catcher would you release?

Tbadder
I thought the Journal raised an interesting question today. I really can't choose between George and Wil. If Kottaras (sic) could throw out runners I don't think there would be a question, but I can't believe he suddenly has turned over a new leaf. Does anyone think we can afford to keep 3 catchers?

We won't keep 3 catchers. That's not even a question. One of them will be gone when Hart comes back, likely on April 22. Nieves is starting Friday according to Roenicke, so that's not a good sign. http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/119874739.html

But anyways, I'd go with Kottaras, because I'd rather have his bat as our backup catcher. It's gonna end up being that our backup only plays once a week, so I don't see a use for Nieves. People say he's good defensively, but he really isn't. Also, Lucroy is good defensively, so I don't see a need for two defensive catchers.

Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

http://milwaukee.brewers....ey=notebook_mil&c_id=mil

In this article they also mention Roenicke saying that Lucroy will probably catch 120 games the rest of the way. That leaves 30 for whoever the backup is. In the other article I posted, it was stated that he's starting Nieves on Friday because he has worked well with Narveson so far. This is purely speculation, but I could see Nieves being kept, and just starting every 5 games to catch Narveson if they keep working well together. That would end up being about 30 games. It just seems to me that Kottaras has been second fiddle in this race all along.

If Kottaras (sic) could throw out runners I don't think there would be a question, but I can't believe he suddenly has turned over a new leaf.

I don't think Nieves has, either. His career CS rate is 25%. Nieves isn't good overall on defense, & he's an awful hitter. Kottaras isn't as bad on defense as Nieves is on offense, and Kottaras's offense is more valuable than Nieves's defense. This really shouldn't even be a discussion (not meant as a shot at you, Tbadder), but unfortunately it is.

This is purely speculation, but I could see Nieves being kept, and just starting every 5 games to catch Narveson if they keep working well together. That would end up being about 30 games. It just seems to me that Kottaras has been second fiddle in this race all along.

I have the same concern. For whatever reason, Nieves tickles Roenicke's veteran fancy just like Kotsay (but not Counsell, for some strange reason).

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I would personally keep Kottaras. As a backup catcher, a left handed power stick with some plate discipline has been a rarity to say the least here in Milwaukee. So I'd argue that his bat is worth his roster spot. On the down side when he was given a shot to be the everyday catcher last season, his defense was U-G-L-Y !! Passed balls, wild pitches, and successful base stealers were the norm. Not that it counts for much, but he's looked better in his handful of games this season.

But I don't think the Crew will go with George. I believe they want a veteran backstop to mentor LuCroy. I don't know. I guess Nieves may call a good game? Maybe he gives a good target? He's probably alright at blocking pitches. I'm just tired of Kieth Osik, Chad Moeller, Jason Kendall, and the like. But hopefully his 30 games will be won't cost the Brewers.

Kottaras has 3 years before free agency, Nieves is a one year contract.

Yeah, and he's 27 vs 33, so he's got a better chance of being somewhat productive over the next few years.

they also mention Roenicke saying that Lucroy will probably catch 120 games the rest of the way.

If your backup is rarely playing, he's primarily serving as a PH. If it were a 50-50 split, this question may be a little more difficult, but you definitely keep Kottaras when the decision should be based primarily on hitting ability.

120 seems like a lot for a young catcher like Lucroy, especially since he missed 10 games. Hopefully he can hold up and develop. If Lucroy is indeed going to start 110-120 games, Kottaras better be the one to stick around. Unlike Nieves, he is a better pinch hitting option than Yovani Gallardo.

Thanks for the clarity guys. I always assumed Wil was clearly the better defensive catcher, and assumed Roenicke would keep him over George.

TooLiveBrew: I knew you weren't taking a shot, but thanks for the courtesy of mentioning it. I always appreciate class.

All the reasons expressed here for keeping Kottaras are actually why he won't be. They are all things that also make him attractive enough to other teams to give something up to get him in a deal. I'm convinced the decision was put off because they want to trade instead of just releasing one of the two. The Twins just put Mauer on the DL for "leg weakness". That doesn't sound good for a catcher. They replaced him on the roster with a 31 year old career minor leaguer. I wouldn't be surprised if Kottaras is a Twin fairly soon.

they also mention Roenicke saying that Lucroy will probably catch 120 games the rest of the way.

If your backup is rarely playing, he's primarily serving as a PH. If it were a 50-50 split, this question may be a little more difficult, but you definitely keep Kottaras when the decision should be based primarily on hitting ability.

Actually, he's sitting on the bench not doing anything. Most managers don't pinch-hit with their catchers.

You have to keep Kottaras. We already have a pretty huge whole at the back end of the order, I don't want an even bigger one. Nieves might be a little better on defense but he aint that good.

I would keep Kottaras

I think the Brewers are trying trade Kottaras for a AAA or AAAA shortstop. If they are unable to make that trade, they will probably DFA him, and Brewerfan.net will blow up for a few days. Kottaras will then not clear waivers, and we'll be left with Mr .570 OPS as our backup

I would keep Kottaras

I think the Brewers are trying trade Kottaras for a AAA or AAAA shortstop. If they are unable to make that trade, they will probably DFA him, and Brewerfan.net will blow up for a few days. Kottaras will then not clear waivers, and we'll be left with Mr .570 OPS as our backup

Sounds about right. I think we can all agree that this will happen.

I would rather keep Nieves. Yes I would.

I disagree with the sentiment that Kottaras and Nieves are even close defensively - they're not. The only comparison I can come up with for Kottaras' wet noodle of an arm is Matthew LeCroy, the worst defensive catcher I've ever seen. Kottaras is a straight-up bad ball blocker as well. I have no idea how his nebulous skill of game calling compares to Nieves', but even there I'd lean towards Wil.

Nieves' arm is nothing special, but it's markedly better than Kottaras'. The only chance George has back there are base sliding gaffes and fat dudes missing hit and run signs. Nieves is also much more agile and skilled at blocking balls in the dirt.

Neither are good enough with the stick to play every day, and with Lucroy around neither will have to. Kottaras obviously has the better bat, but his horrendous defense mitigates pretty much all of that advantage to my eye.

I'd also add that as a young, developing catcher I'd want Lucroy to learn from someone that's not terrible. I don't want Kottaras teaching a single thing to Lucroy. Stay away from him, Jon.

All the reasons expressed here for keeping Kottaras are actually why he won't be. They are all things that also make him attractive enough to other teams to give something up to get him in a deal. I'm convinced the decision was put off because they want to trade instead of just releasing one of the two. The Twins just put Mauer on the DL for "leg weakness". That doesn't sound good for a catcher. They replaced him on the roster with a 31 year old career minor leaguer. I wouldn't be surprised if Kottaras is a Twin fairly soon.

Even if that is the case that Doug is trying to trade one of the two catchers, neither guy is close to being good enough to fetch much of anything useful in a trade.

I put myself in the shoes of another GM and Melvin calls offering Kottaras or Nieves. So even if i might have a very slight bit of interest, if Doug asks for anything of value, i tell him thanks for calling, but i have a pizza to order and have to get going.

Even if that is the case that Doug is trying to trade one of the two catchers, neither guy is close to being good enough to fetch much of anything useful in a trade.

I put myself in the shoes of another GM and Melvin calls offering Kottaras or Nieves. So even if i might have a very slight bit of interest, if Doug asks for anything of value, i tell him thanks for calling, but i have a pizza to order and have to get going.

All you need is to do is convince one team that another would claim him first. Sure you won't get much. Backup catchers never do. But even a little cash over and above the waiver price can always be put to use.

The only thing I could see Kottaras netting is a career minor leaguer (similar to Luis Cruz) ... probably someone in their late 20's who hasn't made it past AAA. Which knowing how recently decimated our SS position is with all the injuries, it could be a real possibility Kottaras is the one traded.

Archived