Brewer Fanatic

A phantom earned run? (3.17 vs. 3.26 for team ERA)

bork

Ok, this has been bugging me for a few days now.

If you look at the MLB stats, it shows that the Brewers have 34 earned runs and an ERA of 3.17.

Team stats

But, if you add up the individual stats, you get 35 earned runs and an ERA of 3.26.

Individual stats

All the other stats are the same. As a stat head, this is bugging me. Yahoo and ESPN say the same thing. Am I missing something?

What's the ruling if:

- a pitcher gets the first two outs of an inning and then a batter reaches on an error.
- the next pitcher comes in and gives up a home run?

This may be a case of the first run being unearned on an individual and team basis but the 2nd run being unearned on a team basis but earned on an individual basis. Perhaps something like this occurred this season.

IIRC, team earned runs can differ from individual earned runs. For instance: Pitcher A gets two strike outs to open the inning, then a runner reaches base via error. Pitcher A then walks two more guys to load the bases. Pitcher A is relieved by Pitcher B. Pitcher B gives up a grand slam. All of those runs are unearned. However, Pitcher B then gives up another HR to the next guy. That run should be unearned for the team, but earned for Pitcher B.

At least I think that's how it works.

Edit: I'm not sure if the run from the guy that hit the grand slam would count as an earned run for Pitcher B or not. I think the rule is that the bases have to be clear before the runs switch from unearned to earned from one pitcher to the next.

Ok, makes sense. I 'm guessing it's the 6th inning of the Cincy game on the 3rd. Thanks guys.

Bottom 6th: Cincinnati

- B. Phillips singled
- J. Votto safe at first on shortstop Y. Betancourt's fielding error, B. Phillips to second
- B. Phillips to third, J. Votto to second on balk
- S. Rolen hit sacrifice fly to center, B. Phillips scored
- J. Gomes singled to shortstop, J. Votto to third
- M. Stetter relieved B. Kintzler
- J. Gomes stole second
- J. Bruce popped out to left center
- R. Hanigan homered to deep left, J. Votto and J. Gomes scored
- P. Janish flied out to left center

4 runs, 3 hits, 1 errors

Rule 10.16(i) applies

(i) When pitchers are changed during an inning, the relief pitcher shall not have the

benefit of previous chances for outs not accepted in determining earned runs.

Rule 10.16(i) Comment: It is the intent of Rule 10.16(i) to charge a relief pitcher with earned runs

for which such relief pitcher is solely responsible. In some instances, runs charged as earned against the

relief pitcher can be charged as unearned against the team. For example:

(1) With two out and Peter pitching, Abel reaches first base on a base on balls. Baker reaches

first base on an error. Roger relieves Peter. Charlie hits a home run, scoring three runs. The

official scorer shall charge two unearned runs to Peter, one earned run to Roger and three

unearned runs to the team (because the inning should have ended with the third out when

Baker batted and an error was committed).

This happened on Sunday in Cincy, if you look carefully at the box score you see 9 individual earned runs but only 8 team earned runs. The inning in question is the 6th:

Bottom of the 6th, Reds Batting, Ahead 7-3, Brewers' Brandon Kintzler facing 2-3-4
b6 7-3 0 --- 3,(0-2)
CIN B. Phillips B. Kintzler 1% 96% Single to RF (Line Drive to Short RF)
b6 7-3 0 1-- 1,(0-0)
CIN J. Votto B. Kintzler 1% 97% Reached on E6/attempted forceout (Ground Ball to Weak SS); Phillips to 2B
b6 7-3 0 12- 3,(0-2)
CIN S. Rolen B. Kintzler 1% 98% Balk; Phillips to 3B; Votto to 2B
b6 7-3 0 -23 9,(3-2) RO CIN S. Rolen B. Kintzler -0% 98% Flyball: CF/Sacrifice Fly (Deep CF); Phillips Scores/unER
b6 8-3 1 -2- 4,(1-2)
CIN J. Gomes B. Kintzler 0% 98% Single to 2B (Ground Ball to SS-2B); Votto to 3B

Mitch Stetter replaces Brandon Kintzler pitching and batting 9th
b6 8-3 1 1-3 1,(0-0)
CIN J. Bruce M. Stetter 0% 98% Gomes Steals 2B
b6 8-3 1 -23 4,(2-1) O CIN J. Bruce M. Stetter -1% 98% Popfly: SS
b6 8-3 2 -23 2,(0-1) RRR CIN R. Hanigan M. Stetter 2% 100% Home Run (Fly Ball to Deep LF); Votto Scores/unER; Gomes Scores/unER; Hanigan Scores/Team unER
b6 11-3 2 --- 6,(3-2) O CIN P. Janish M. Stetter -0% 100% Lineout: LF (Short LF-CF)

4 runs, 3 hits, 1 error, 0 LOB. Brewers 3, Reds 11.

The inning should have been over for the team when Hannigan was up, BUT the inning should not have been over for Stetter so the run is charged to Stetter but not the team.

Archived