Brewer Fanatic

We can be happy with 6-5 for now, but a few guys in this lineup are struggling...

Brian002100

We had one of the top offenses in the league last season and have roughly the same group coming back. As bad as Yuni may be, he is better offensively than Escobar was for us last season. Barring injuries, our offense should be fine.

I find it exciting that I get to watch good pitching on a regular basis. In the past, it was pretty much a fluke when one of our pitchers was having a good night. Now, it's kind of a fluke when one of our pitchers has a bad night.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Chris Dickerson, who was a lot of people's season saver for Gomez, ironically is hitting in the 2 hole.... for the International League's Scranton Red Barons, with an OPS of .505. I'm still waiting for that first dinger from him, no extra base hits either.

You don't have an avatar... you could probably just photoshop a dog pooping on a picture of Dickerson & use that. Then you wouldn't have to dump on him in threads whenever you get the chance. We'd literally be reminded every time you post, instead of it just feeling that way.

Having holes are fine but having black holes that can be replaced with players on the roster or easily through free agency is not.

Yes. And frankly I think the, 'Geez, can't folks just enjoy this?' responses are annoying. Settling for the production from easily improvable areas could easily be what costs the Brewers a shot at the postseason. This isn't some juggernaut team like the Phillies or Red Sox that can afford a few weak links (or a 2-9 start http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif). And beyond that, once you get to the postseason, you're obviously better off with more talent as opposed to less talent.

So, while I'm definitely enjoying this Brewers team, and especially the improved pitching, I'm also very concerned about the clear warts like Betancourt, Gomez, & Kotsay getting so much playing time. These are easy problems to fix... now if people were seriously complaining about like Weeks, or McGehee, that we *absolutely must upgrade these spots*, I would certainly feel like that's just unwarranted worrying.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

You don't have an avatar... you could probably just photoshop a dog pooping on a picture of Dickerson & use that. Then you wouldn't have to dump on him in threads whenever you get the chance. We'd literally be reminded every time you post, instead of it just feeling that way.
I'm old school, so don't have an avatar. I thought that Dickerson's poor performance was relevant here because Gomez was brought up. When Dickerson was traded, many here were whining and complaining that he was an above average 4th outfielder, and some even argued an adequate starter. I will agree that the leash for Gomez should be getting shorter by the day, especially with Morgan in the fold. I will agree to stop dumping on Dickerson when people admit that he flat out sucks and/or that Morgan was a huge upgrade.

http://www.baseballprospe...icle.php?articleid=13572

Here's an article from today's Baseball Prospectus on the Brewers bench. It may be behind the paywall, but it sheds a little more light on some of the frustrations that posters danzig, Ennder & TLBrew have hit on so well. These guys are better than last year, no doubt, but there are some simple things they could do to enhance their expected win total by a game or two. A SS, CF platoon, a bench bat, slight adjustment in the batting order, etc...all decent ideas that are easy to do and probably make them just a slight bit better. When you are that close to a playoff spot...that one or two games could be the difference between our memories of 1982 and 2008 versus a season like 1992.

RockCo, people were complaining about the Dickerson trade before the Brewers acquired Morgan. I'm pretty sure everyone is thrilled with the way it all turned out.
Exactly. People were mad before Morgan was even a possibility. Once the rumors that we had a shot at Morgan started, then people no longer cared. If we didn't have Morgan right now, I would still want Dickerson for sure. At least we don't have to worry about that now, so it doesn't matter.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

SoCal, that article isn't behind a paywall, and it's a good read. Thanks for sharing.

"On the metaphorical first day of this past offseason, Doug Melvin traded for Marcum. On the second day, he got Greinke. On the third day, he seasoned with Takashi Saito. Thereafter, he rested, even though more work remained to be done. Like an ocean liner without enough lifeboats or a building that doesn’t quite conform to the fire code, the Brewers may never pay the price for cutting corners in construction. However, if their season swings the wrong way because they neglected to put the finishing touches on the team, they’ll wonder why they didn’t learn more from the example of 2008, when a well-stocked bench helped them squeak into October. If there’s a silver lining here, it’s that Melvin has shown the inclination and ability to make in-season upgrades, and not just in his blockbuster trade for CC Sabathia. Durham retired following that ’08 season, but his acquisition set a precedent that Melvin would do well to follow in the next few months, and the Morgan trade may signal his desire to do so."

Good article. I like the line:

Corey Hart’s impending return will push Kotsay to the bench, where he’ll do less damage to his own team but no more to opposing pitchers;

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Didn't want to start a new thread, and felt this issue fit this thread's title somewhat:

I also asked Roenicke if he was certain that reliever Zach Braddock is healthy. His velocity has been down all spring and he walked two of the three hitters he faced Wednesday night. Lack of command and velocity almost always means you're hurting but Roenicke said he was assured that Braddock is OK physically.

"Sometimes when you're trying to throw strikes and you aim the ball, you get a loss in velocity," said Roenicke. "Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. He says he feels fine."

Link

I wondered aloud to myself last night during the game if Braddock might be hurt. I'm still concerned that he is -- this is a guy who operated in the 91-94 mph range with his fastball last season, to the best of my recollection.

RockCo, people were complaining about the Dickerson trade before the Brewers acquired Morgan. I'm pretty sure everyone is thrilled with the way it all turned out.

Not me. They should have kept Dickerson and cut Kotsay.

Like an ocean liner without enough lifeboats or a building that doesn’t quite conform to the fire code, the Brewers may never pay the price for cutting corners in construction.
Great. Now we are the Titanic of baseball teams.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Don't worry. Matt Wise is gone. He can't injure anyone going for the iceberg...

...lettuce. Salad tongs joke. You know it.

GROAN!!!! Sad thing is that I got the joke before reading the second line...

The real question is: should Gomez bat ninth? Isn't he perfect for that role?

Well, when Gallardo is pitching thats a gimmie. Since that even fits conventional wisdom of batting your worse hitters last...

7-1, Hart is coming back, Lucroy just came back, as of late Weeks and McGehee have been pretty quite (outside of the PH HR) and Gomez & Yuni have both start to hit the ball better not great but better. Once Hart comes back the line up switches to Weeks, Hart, Braun, Fielder, McGehee, Yuni, Lucroy, pitcher, Gomez/Morgan (After McGehee 6-9 and be changed). Greinke may be back end of April or early May as will Hawkins and Parra.

I think we are in a great position, I think the biggest x-factor is if McGehee can get rolling with the hot streak of Prince, they need someone to protect him. I would even consider Lucroy in the 2 spot, he is a walk machine so far in the minors and has a couple in in his first few games back then hit Mcgehee and Hart 5 and 6 to give that back end a little more spark. Overall we are playing damn goo baseball which I think can be sustained as we get more healthy and other guys start to heat up. Right now we have Braun, Fielder and Tony Plush who are really hot and the rest are a little quite. Weeks could go back on a tear any game.

Lucroy probably isn't ready for #2 yet. Maybe in a year or two, but not yet. Hart should be a lock for the 2 spot when he returns. I do like Lucroy in the 8 hole, where an ability to take a walk can at least clear the pitcher, and you're not wasting Gomez/Morgan's speed when the pitcher's bunting anyway. Yuni's ability to make contact with the ball with some power, but lack of any ability to take a walk probably suits him best for the 6 hole where he can drive some runs in. Whether or not it makes sense, I don't see Roenicke as a guy who will bat the pitcher #8, so I see Weeks, Hart, Braun, Fielder, McGehee, Yuni, Gomez/Morgan, Lucroy, Pitcher.

Assuming they go with a fairly straight platoon in CF, and assuming Lucroy improves on his rookie hitting, I think that' s a pretty good overall lineup that will score plenty of runs for our vastly improved pitching staff.

~Bill Walsh

Please tell me that is a joke about Lucroy hitting #2. A catcher does not hit #2 - too much else on his mind.

....Seriously? He's not doing quantum physics, he's calling games, and whether he's hitting 2nd or 8th, he's not likely thinking about calling a 0-2 slider when he's in the box. I think it's a joke to suggest a catcher can't hit atop the order*cough*Jason Kendall*cough*Russell Martin*cough because he's got "too much on his mind."

The problem is that the lineup is not structured properly for the way

the team plays...if you are going to have a lot of big hitters in the

lineup you need a guy who draws walks in the #2 spot. I actually

wouldn't mind Hart in the #2 spot...we go with...

Well, the problem with that is that Hart doesn't draw a lot of walks. You want a guy who draws walks, someone who walks at a 6.6 clip isn't going to do it. Morgan would be a much better choice in that spot.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Morgan should be playing every day, and he should be batting 2nd. I don't know why this hasn't happened yet, why Ron thinks that Gomez, Kotsay and Almonte are all more valuable than him. I know he's not going to hit .500 the whole season, but he's done more than all of these guys the last few years. Whether he's playing center or right, I don't care right now. He should be in the lineup. And he should have the chance to earn the full-time centerfield job when the outfield is back at full strength.

When Hart returns, I'd like to see them slot him in the 5 hole and move everybody else down. That would put their five most patient hitters in the top five spots.

Archived