Brewer Fanatic

2011-04-13 Brewers (Marcum) at Pirates (Correia) - 6:05 PM CDT [Brewers win, 6-0]

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I find it funny the same people who loved Hardy are complaining about Yuni's range. JJ had the same lack of range. They are very similar players except for the fact JJ is hurt all the time. It just gets old that even when the team wins a 6-0 game there are numerous posts about Gomez and Yuni. We got it, you don't like them. But how come when they make outs, they suck and Weeks, Casey, and others slump and there is nothing. I think that would be classified as selective hating on players.

Ryan Doumit...you've just been Plushed.

http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/laugh.gifhttp://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/laugh.gifhttp://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/laugh.gifhttp://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/laugh.gif

I find it funny the same people who loved Hardy are complaining about Yuni's range. JJ had the same lack of range. They are very similar players except for the fact JJ is hurt all the time. It just gets old that even when the team wins a 6-0 game there are numerous posts about Gomez and Yuni. We got it, you don't like them. But how come when they make outs, they suck and Weeks, Casey, and others slump and there is nothing. I think that would be classified as selective hating on players.

Hardy has amazing range so you're entire premise is wrong

8,755 at the game tonight. that is just sad

Not that the crowd would've been much better without it, but the Pens had a home playoff game tonight. People were more interested in that than the Pirates 11th game of the season or whatever it is.

8,755 at the game tonight. that is just sad
Looked more like 875.
8755 is probably their season ticket sales. I can remember many April games at County Stadium with crowds under 10,000. Why would anyone in Pittsburgh have a reason to get excited about their team? They roll out the same dreck year after year.

I was at the game last night and will be going to tonights as well, its still one of the best stadiums. There was easily only 3-4 thousand at the most there. It was actually pretty nice having a whole section to your self if you wanted. They really try anything to get fans there, last Friday a lot of the tickets were only a dollar.

Hardy has amazing range so you're entire premise is wrong

You forgot the blue font.

His athleticism isn't great, nor does he cover a lot of ground due to subpar foot-speed. However, whether it's to his or his coaches' credit, he positions himself very well, so he *does* get to a lot of balls. He has excellent hands & a great arm, so he converts a very high percentage of those into outs. The ability to convert batted balls into outs is ultimately what constitutes good range, so even though Hardy doesn't cover a lot of ground, his range tends to grade out well. Right now, defensive metrics don't question how a player got to a ball (like positioning v. athleticism), so an out conversion is an out conversion.

Once Field f/x data becomes better understood & more widely available, defense is going to be able to be understood much better, objectively. I still think a guy like J.J. will rate out well, but I also think the fact that his foot-speed/athleticism is a liability will also be better described & represented.

EDIT: I think J.J. is an excellent defender at SS, fwiw

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived