Brewer Fanatic

Fielder's plate approach...different?

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

SMALL SAMPLE ALERT!

Fielder's normally been a guy who strikes out a fair amount, and yes, we know that strikeouts statistically have very little to no negative impact as compared to other outs. However, I can't help but notice that Fielder has whiffed only 2 times in 41 plate appearances to this point. Yet, he's still raking the doubles and singles, and he does have 2 homeruns. I know he's said he'd like to hit .300. Has he made a major change to his approach here, or is the sample size to small to even begin to draw any conclusions from?

From what I've seen he is being more selective and not swinging from he heels as much. He still swings hard; but not the kind that makes everyone's hats fly off. He also seems to be going to the opposite field more, especially with two strikes and against lefties.

yes very small sample and purely based on my biased opinion as a viewer but it seems like Fielder is taking what the pitcher gives him more, going with a nice easy swing (for him) sometimes and hitting singles instead of just swinging for the fences most of the time. Its an old cliche that Brian Anderson and Bill Schroeder use alot but when Fielder starts going the opposite way with singles you know he's seeing the ball well...

I think his overall approach has changed to 'this is a contract year'.

That adjustment is really working well so far for Pujols this year isn't it.

You just had to bring it up didn't you?!?

I will now blame you, Ennder, when he hits .450 for the next month and a half.http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/laugh.gif

Times like this, I really love looking at the 'Plate Discipline' data on Fangraphs.

http://www.fangraphs.com/...rid=4613&position=1B

Prince is swinging at more pitches outside of the strike zone than he has for any year in his career (39.7%; his next highest in a full season was 28.3% in 2010, but he's been in the 25 - 28% range generally). While he's swinging at more pitches, he's actually making contact at those outside pitches better than at any point in his career (63.0 O-Contact%, 3% higher than last year....which is actually consistent with the upward trend over the prior 3-4 seasons).

Given that he's also making contact with pitches in the zone at a ridiculous rate (97.5%, compared to 85-87% over his entire career), I'd be hard pressed but to say that it's anything other than a small sample. Prince seems to be seeing the ball quite well right now.

I would say it is likely Prince has simply decided not to give away AB's trying to hit HR's with two strikes. Braun often swings for the fence with no one on and two outs, and it is not really a bad decision, if you play the math. Prince may well be thinking if he can sneak out an extra hit a week, that's a .310 BA rather than a .260. Heck, .310 with power might get him $50M more than .260 with slightly more pop.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I would say it is likely Prince has simply decided not to give away AB's trying to hit HR's with two strikes. Braun often swings for the fence with no one on and two outs, and it is not really a bad decision, if you play the math. Prince may well be thinking if he can sneak out an extra hit a week, that's a .310 BA rather than a .260. Heck, .310 with power might get him $50M more than .260 with slightly more pop.

That's sort of what I was thinking as well.

From what I've seen he is being more selective and not swinging from he heels as much. He still swings hard; but not the kind that makes everyone's hats fly off. He also seems to be going to the opposite field more, especially with two strikes and against lefties.

I don't know if i'd say he's being more selective when you consider that he walked 114 times last year, the most of any player in baseball. He walked 110 times in 2009.

Prince has always been very patient and selective at the plate, it's one of his biggest strengths. His K numbers have also been incredibly consistent when you consider the last three years he's struck out 134/138/138 times. Come the end of the year i'd expect that he'll have 100 plus walks and a 100 plus strikeouts.

For whatever reason though, his OPS has fluctuated significantly every other year.

So if he sticks to that trend, he should be in for a big year.

Archived