Brewer Fanatic

Cubs close to signing Doug Davis

MVP2110

http://www.mlbtraderumors...-signing-doug-davis.html

I must say I don't understand all these moves. They just signed Ramon Ortiz to. There is no way they can build up their arm strength in time before Wells & Cashner come back. They should have never traded Gorz. Hopefully they are forced to pitch Davis or Ortiz against us during a game or to. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/laugh.gif

http://www.mlbtraderumors...-signing-doug-davis.html

I must say I don't understand all these moves. They just signed Ramon Ortiz to. There is no way they can build up their arm strength in time before Wells & Cashner come back. They should have never traded Gorz. Hopefully they are forced to pitch Davis or Ortiz against us during a game or to. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/laugh.gif

You are right about Gorzelany. That move stumped me at the time. He pitched well for them last year. Now they have no left handed starter, a talented but rather thin bullpen, and they are picking up Brewer castoffs right and left. I hope Davis makes it to their rotation. Living in Chicago, I'll have no need for sleep aid on the nights he pitches.

Didn't they release Carlos Silva at the end of Spring Training? maybe they can get him back since they are paying him 80 kajillion dollars.
That would have been funny. Here's $11M...now scram! Oh just kidding, we need you back, here's some more money. I believe Silva refused a minor league assignment when Chicago released him. Had he accepted, he'd almost certainly be back up in the rotation.

You don't have an Adam Wainwright. Easily the best gentlemen in all of sports. You don't have the amount of real good old American men like the Cardinals do. Holliday, Wainwright, Skip, Berkman those 4 guys are incredible people

GhostofQuantrill

Silva burned his bridges with their coaching staff, pretty sure he would have been at the bottom of their list to sign. Would love to see an early Cub implosion, maybe they can be Completely Useless By June this year?

The Cubs' bullpen is going to explode - the two guys currently filling in for injured starters aren't built up enough to go more than 4-5 innings, and they're stuck with wasting a relief spot on a guy who probably should have played wide receiver in the NFL because Hendry gave him an outrageous amount of money after drafting him. Marshall, Wood, and Marmol are very solid, but there's little else in that pen that can be counted on.

This is exactly why you should never take starting depth for granted. They went from having 7 major league starters(if you can call Silva that) to 3. But hey atleast it happened to the cubs
Starting depth is a bit overrated. What determines where you finish is generally dependent on how your top guys perform and no team no matter how deep can adequately replace a 1 through 3.

The two guys that went down, Wells and Cashner, were their #4 and #5 guys. Coleman is an adequate replacement #5. They wouldn't have to be scrambling so much for a 2nd replacement if Braden Looper hadn't chosen retirement over a couple months in AAA with an out clause.

Fear the Chorizo explained their bullpen problems well. That's where they really lack depth. If any of their top 3 there goes down, look out.

The age of their staff has to be concerning as well since it was the young guys who got hurt. Zambrano and Dempster are not spring chickens so an injury to either one would not be a surprise. Garza was bad all spring and has been bad at the start of the season so who knows what is going on there. It will be interesting to see how their season plays out.

Archived