Brewer Fanatic

Saito to the DL; Kintzler recalled

battlekow

The Brewers had to know that Saito was going to make a DL stint or two this year. Having it happen already in April is a bit of a bad break, but this is different from past reliever signings in that they're at least well-prepared to replace him. Guys like Riske and Hawkins were depended on. Saito's just a really nice piece to have when he's healthy.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

At least (this time) they are done going one-man-short in the bullpen, in the hope that Saito won't need a DL stint. I know it's a balancing act and every injury is different, but it bugs me when they clearly wait too long to take the DL plunge with a player, and fans are stuck watching the bullpen twist in the wind.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

The Brewers had to know that Saito was going to make a DL stint or two this year. Having it happen already in April is a bit of a bad break, but this is different from past reliever signings in that they're at least well-prepared to replace him. Guys like Riske and Hawkins were depended on. Saito's just a really nice piece to have when he's healthy.
Very good point. I agree that a Saito DL stint at some point this year was probably inevitable, given his history. Hopefully he gets this one out of the way and is good for the rest of the season.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I'm a little puzzled that Kintzler gets the call over McClendon. True, Kintzler had a better spring, but he was shaky in his one appearance after posting so-so results last year. McClendon pitched better last year and logged some innings in close games. Of course that was under the prior regime.

Yeah, disappointing news. I really hope Saito doesn't end up being Melvin's seemingly annual "veteran pitcher signing that didn't pan out."

That indeed is a long list especially if you include veterans traded for in season like Linebrink and Weathers.

He keeps trying to find the next Saloman Torres.

I'm a little puzzled that Kintzler gets the call over McClendon. True, Kintzler had a better spring, but he was shaky in his one appearance after posting so-so results last year. McClendon pitched better last year and logged some innings in close games. Of course that was under the prior regime.
Could it be the number of options Kintzler has considering he shouldn't be up for long with Hawkins coming back?

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Could it be the number of options Kintzler has considering he shouldn't be up for long with Hawkins coming back?

No. Both McClendon and Kintzler were already optioned for the year, so bringing them up and down doesn't effect that any more for the year.

My guess is that Kintzler impressed more than McClendon in ST. In reality they are pretty close to the same, so a small difference at the right time was probably the only reason.

CheezWizHed wrote:
Both McClendon and Kintzler were already optioned for the year, so bringing them up and down doesn't effect that any more for the year.
Actually, in order for it to count as an option year, the player has to spend 20 days in the minors on optional assignment; since Kintzler has only spent six so far, his option year won't officially be used until he's down for two more weeks.
CheezWizHed wrote:
My guess is that Kintzler impressed more than McClendon in ST. In reality they are pretty close to the same, so a small difference at the right time was probably the only reason.
However, this is dead on. Kintzler beat out McClendon in spring training and nothing much has happened to change their minds since.

It was one rough outting, the guy can straight up pitch. He went down to Nashville in the first outting and was back to himself of being an untouchable minor league pitcher. He gains nothing from being in AAA. McCledon is god but I don't feel he is as good as Kinzler. He just need innings and work.

Semi-related: is it DiFelice's status as a "ROOGY" that is keeping him from getting a shot? He had a pretty decent spring (more K's than Kintzler in fewer innings) and has thrown 3 hitless, walkless innings so far in Nashville.

I understand the logic (that Kintzler is more apt to have success against lefties) but it sucks to have a guy with a proven track record in MLB not get the opportunity.

Just because there is a spot open doesn't mean we should fill it with DiFelice. He will give you about what McClendon and Kinzler will give you (except limited as a ROOGY).

I'd prefer to keep that 40-man spot open for:

1) A real injury need

2) A waiver wire pickup at a spot of more need (SS). You never know who could get exposed this time of year with people going on and coming off the DL.

Sure, the likely hood of that is low, but it gives you flexibility in the case that you need it.

Yeah, disappointing news. I really hope Saito doesn't end up being Melvin's seemingly annual "veteran pitcher signing that didn't pan out."

There is a pretty big difference with Saito for me though. Unlike Riske and Hawkins, Doug only gave Saito a one year deal and at a moderate salary.

So even if worst case Saito is injury prone all year, i won't say anything bad about Melvin signing Saito. I thought it was a great signing at the time, unlike the Riske and Hawkins signings which were for multiple years at a higher salary.

Another spot will open when Hart comes back, and probably another when Hawkins and Greinke come back. So I don't think we'll be at a shortage of open 40-man spots. We'll have 2 more within the next few weeks.

Sure, but that still doesn't change what I would do right now... Especially if that means adding DiFelice, just so he is optioned back to the minors (does he have options?) when Hawkins comes back. And I'm only expecting one more 40-man spot (catcher) myself...

There is a pretty big difference with Saito for me though. Unlike Riske and Hawkins, Doug only gave Saito a one year deal and at a moderate salary.

So even if worst case Saito is injury prone all year, i won't say anything bad about Melvin signing Saito. I thought it was a great signing at the time, unlike the Riske and Hawkins signings which were for multiple years at a higher salary.

Plus Saito is a legitimately good RP unlike Riske and Hawkins who seem to never quite have the peripherals to back up their ERA so you were never sure if they were good or not in the first place. My issue with Riske and Hawkins was more that if they stayed healthy they might not be worth their contracts, not that they happened to get hurt.

Brewer Fanatic Staff
Especially if that means adding DiFelice, just so he is optioned back to the minors (does he have options?) when Hawkins comes back.

Actually, we believe DiFelice has two options remaining, should he be added back to the 40-man at some point, there would be some flexibility there.

The Brewers had to know that Saito was going to make a DL stint or two this year.… Saito's just a really nice piece to have when he's healthy.

That makes Saito look like the bullpen version of Russell Branyan. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Archived