Brewer Fanatic

Quade complains about stolen base

jjfanec
Mattingly and Quade talked before Saturday’s game, and the Cubs manager

called his counterpart “a class guy.”

This is awesome. I can see the next Cardinal/cub pregame meals. Tea and Crumpets maybe cucumber sandwiches with the crust cut off. La Russa and Quade sipping lemon tinged Earl Grey, pinky extended, talking about how absurd it is that such uncouth barbarian teams like Milwaukee and Cincinnati being ahead of them in the standings. "It's terrible such teams don't succumb to the natural rules and allow us to win at a rate commensurate with our culture." says Tony. "What are you wearing to the royal wedding?" asks Mike somewhat distractedly as he digs into his brief case. "Oh sorry old chap, I was looking for my unwritten rule book but it appears not to be here. Perhaps that's because it hasn't been written. But I digress. What were you saying?"
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think I'd advocate stealing in an 8-1 game. But scrambling to avoid an out after a missed sign should be acceptable no matter what the score is.

The first time around, I didn't take Quade's comments as an outright complaint. Bringing it up eleven days later makes me change my mind, though. This time he did it without the help of a reporter.

I do agree with him when he says he should brush up on unwritten rules.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

This is getting pretty funny. Quade is an epic pouter. Someone with a sense of humor should think up a great nickname for this guy.

Whenever someone complains about the Unwritten Rules™, you can say that he must've popped a Qualude (kwah-lood)... ?

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

i didn't read that as a complaint against RR or Gomez in the slightest. great quotes from Quade, actually. the only complaint i heard was for an umpire telling a player not to do something, which is definitely legitimate.

i'm starting to like Quade. poor guy, having to manage the Cubs.

Wow, Quade is an unlikable guy. It would be one thing if he was coaching a little league team or something but these are grown men. To whine so much about getting beaten in what you consider inappropriate ways is just unseemly. Stop crying and take it like a man. If anything, he's giving other teams a competitive advantage by letting them know he agonizes so much over these trivial incidents. There's no way he'll ever be able to mentally handle a pennant race. Luckily for him, he manages the Cubs so he won't have to worry about it.

The #1 unwritten rule is: don't whine about unwritten rules.

As penalty, the next time the Brewers are up 10+ runs on the Cubs in the late innings, Carlos Gomez is going to steal a base on each pitch: first stealing second, then third, then run back to second, back to first, and then back to second. If he's ever thrown out, he'll run right across the pitching rubber on the way back to the dugout.

7-2 Dodgers in the 6th.....hope thye know that stealing a base will now be frowned upon........
I saw that on the out of town scoreboard today and wondered what unwritten rules were being violated this time.
Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Mike Quade: Dodgers violated 'unwritten rule' with steal attempt

Following Friday's 12-2 loss, the Cubs were incensed that Dodgers catcher A.J. Ellis attempted to steal with their pitcher up and one out in the fifth inning. Ellis was thrown out at second base. At that time, Los Angeles had an 8-1 lead.

According to Cubs manager Mike Quade, using a hit-and-run or trying to steal in that circumstance is a breach of baseball's unwritten rules.

"I probably have to get a copy of the Milwaukee and the Los Angeles unwritten rules books," Quade said in an unsolicited commentary after the game.

"I don't know if they missed a sign or if it was a hit-and-run or something. I've got to brush up on my unwritten rules things. There might be a Los Angeles and Milwaukee version I need to read."

A similar circumstance occurred when the Cubs played Milwaukee on April 9. At that time, Brewers outfielder Carlos Gomez stole second and third base late in the game with the Brewers leading 6-0.

Quade was asked how many runs are too many for another team not to use the running game.

"I don't know. I was just curious. I guess 15," he said tongue-in-cheek.

Solution: play better.

To me, the funniest part of this is that he's basically throwing his offense under the bus because he thinks an 8-1 game is out of reach when it's only the 5th inning.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Again, what a clown this guy is. Stealing in a 6-run game is against unwritten rules? Somebody must have handed Quade a prank "unwritten rules" book as part of his initiation as a manager. Hey, Mike, now that you're a manager we can finally show you this! Quade soon comes to believe that it is against the unwritten rules to hit a home run left handed or wear black shoes while stealing a base.

Maybe if he wasn't so interested in the unwritten rules his team might actually score more runs thus win a few more games. Hard enough to win in the majors without adding rules only they follow.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Is Quade instructing his players to simply strike out on 3 pitches when they are down by an apparent insurmountable deficit? How dare they go up there, when the game is so clearly over, and try and mount a comeback? One of our players could get injured or, worse yet, get their feelings hurt.

You don't have an Adam Wainwright. Easily the best gentlemen in all of sports. You don't have the amount of real good old American men like the Cardinals do. Holliday, Wainwright, Skip, Berkman those 4 guys are incredible people

GhostofQuantrill

I can't wait for the first big 9th inning comeback win by the Cubs this year so Quade can brag about how "The games never over until the last out. The great thing about baseball is there is no clock so you always have a chance. We keep battling. We never quit. Great win by our guys when the game looked like it was over!"

Archived