Brewer Fanatic

Quade complains about stolen base

jjfanec
Say we had lost the 5 run lead and, subsequently, the game. We would have not only been murdering the bullpen for blowing it, but also the missed opportunities earlier in the game, such as the situation with Gomez had he not stealed. As a final victim, Ron Roenicke would have been tarred and feathered had he come out into the postgame interview and said we didn't steal Gomez because of some unwritten rules.

I can get behind certain unwritten rules, but even then have an issue with them as playing baseball is about winning the game. Period. Bunting to break up a no-hitter if you are trailing by a run or two should be perfectly legitmate because you play to win, not help an opposing team and player make history.

I agree 100% with this. In the example of bunting to break up a no-hitter there are 2 things to consider. Don't want a bunt hit? Then throw out the guy running to 1st base. Plus, isn't the art of offense to do the thing your opponent would LEAST like you to do? Surely, affecting a pitcher's morale, and by definition, focus, can only be good in breaking his rhythm, since he's obviously in a groove up to that point. Short of putting someone off, illegally, you do whatever you can, within the rules of baseball, to help your team win. Even cricket doesn't have as many dumb anachronistic "gentleman's rules", and it's played by the English, for god's sake!

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think Roenicke has it right. There are unwritten rules, whether we agree with them or not. But I don't think a 5 run lead in the 8th is safe in today's game, so all bets are off. Now if he's stealing 3rd in a 11-0 game, that's a different story. Don't ask me why, that's just the way it is.

Quade only said these things to stick up for his players (Soto) who was embarrassed by Gomez.
Wait a minute. Soto was embarrassed by Gomez?!? Carlos might have been out had Castro actually caught the ball with his glove instead of his jaw! It would've been pretty close-ish. It's not like Gomez slid into second, got up, and stood on second base with a big grin when the ball finally got there--THAT would be embarrassing to a catcher.

Unwritten rules are fine and dandy in a complete and utter annihilation of an opponent, but a 5-run lead is nothing in today's game of baseball.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

What is with MLB Network failing when it comes to the Brewers lately? Today Chris Rose, Kevin Millar, and Mitch Williams were talking about this situation and said (as did the on-screen graphic) that it was 6-0 at the time of the SB's. The only reason I care is because Williams (I think it was him - Millar might have agreed...anyway, who it was doesn't matter) actually said a 5 run lead is ok, whereas a 6 run lead isn't.

I think anyone who is ********* over stealing 2 bases with a 5 run lead is a fogey and a moron.

Now, I'm not going to go so far as to say that it's cool to steal a couple bases with a 10 run lead in the 9th, but 5 runs? Come on.

If teams are in any way expected to stop trying at a certain point, then they may as well just call the game due to mercy rule at that point.

Did the Cubs have in all of their backups when Gomez stole? Was one of their utility players in there pitching, since the game was so far out of hand? I didn't think so. Clearly, they didn't think the game was "over" so I'm not sure why the Brewers should have.

DougJones43 wrote:

Did the Cubs have in all of their backups when Gomez stole? Was one of their utility players in there pitching, since the game was so far out of hand? I didn't think so. Clearly, they didn't think the game was "over" so I'm not sure why the Brewers should have.

These are the best points I've seen yet.

Does Quade know the future, so that he knew Cubs would not come back? Perhaps he should modify his name a bit to Quado.

http://shittymovienight.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/TR-17-Quatto.JPG

DougJones43 wrote:

These are the best points I've seen yet.

This is how it's done in basketball. The LOSING team decides when the game is over and pulls its regulars. That's the sign to the winning team to stop going 100% to keep scoring. If the losing team is still trying its best to win, then the winning team can do whatever it wants.

My guess is that at that point in the game, the Cubs still had their regulars in and were trying to win the game. If that's the case, then why is it fair for one team to try to win and not the other?

Does Quade know the future, so that he knew Cubs would not come back? Perhaps he should modify his name a bit to Quado.

http://shittymovienight.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/TR-17-Quatto.JPG

I like to think of Quade as a combination of Kuato and Quaid, actually. It works out perfectly.

http://img861.imageshack.us/img861/8238/dougquaid.jpg

endaround]Now in baseball you can't really empty your bench. But say your starting shortstop gets hit in the jaw with a ball down 5 runs you could take him out.

You may not be able to empty your bench completely but you can easily signal you are throwing in the towel. If the Cubs or the trailing team pulls 4 starters than you know they are giving up which would tell you not to steal. Until they give that sign you have ZERO reason to quit playing hard.

DougJones43[/b]]If teams are in any way expected to stop trying at a certain point, then they may as well just call the game due to mercy rule at that point.

We'll said. If your feelings get hurt in a 5 run game then perhaps you should find another line of work. Perhaps the Cubs can give out trophies at the end of the year to their entire team because they all did a good job and tried hard. That way nobody has to feel bad for themselves.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Actually, I think when a shortstop decides to let a ball hit him in the face rather than using his provided equipment to catch it, that's a sign that he's thrown in the towel.

That's true, but we didn't steal after they gave us that "indication" either. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Maybe the Blue Jays should have stolen some bases last night:

http://scores.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=310411112

YES! I thought the exact same thing last night when I was laying in bed watching Quick Pitch.

"How will Quade react to this? Wonder if Eric Wedge thought the game was over when it was 7-0?"

This is why unwritten rules should be abolished except in the most extreme situations, like a colossal 20-0 blowout in the 8th/9th innings.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
This is why unwritten rules should be abolished except in the most extreme situations, like a colossal 20-0 blowout in the 8th/9th innings.

But then wouldn't it cease to be unwritten? And as we all know, the fact that they are unwritten rules is half the fun. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

• 2 weeks later...
Community Moderator

Quade apparently also hasn’t forgotten about Carlos Gomez(notes) stealing second
and third with Milwaukee leading Chicago 5-0 in the eighth inning April 9. Gomez
went on to score the Brewers’ final run in a 6-0 victory.

“I do think that I probably need to get a copy of the Milwaukee and L.A.
unwritten rules books, I think, too,” Quade said, unprompted, Friday. “I don’t
know if they missed a sign or not sure if it was a hit-and-run or something.
I’ve got to brush up on my unwritten rule things.”

Just ridiculous. He is still upset about Gomez' steal?

Archived