Brewer Fanatic

Quade complains about stolen base

jjfanec

Ran across "Unwritten rules apparently open to interpretation" today and I could not believe it. The Cubs are complaining about a stolen base in Saturday's game. Up 5-0 in the 8th Gomez stole two bases. Why on earth is this an unwritten rule in baseball? 5 runs is nowhere near insurmountable considering 3 teams have come back from 9 down in the 9th.

EDIT: Fixed link --1992

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't take that article as Quade compaining since it was the reporter asking him how he felt about it first.....

It sounds more like the author of the article trying to 'stir the pot' ..

You knew me as Myday2001.

That's weird article. I can't even figure out if Quade was upset about it or not.

I've never heard of anyone considering a 5 run lead with one inning to go insurmountable. There's a cut off at some point, but 5 runs? Child, please.

I never understand the "unwritten rules" of any sport - if you don't like a guy stealing on you, throw him out! Baseball is different than other sports in that there's no clock that says when the game's over, so there's always a chance for a pitcher to implode and a huge rally to occur. As long as a team's not showboating, I don't have a problem with showing no mercy, even if it's against the team I'm rooting for.

Specific to this situation, stealing bases is one of the few parts of Gomez's game that he excels at - it would be like telling Fielder or Braun to stand up at the plate and not swing because we were up by more than a grand slam. If Cargo miraculously finds himself on base and doesn't get picked off, why not turn him lose?

Using the "unwritten rules" argument is too Tony Larussa for me to agree with - 99% of the time it's sour grapes over not being good enough to prevent the other team from beating you.

I remember reading a story about Garner against the Tigers where he was running while up 6 or 7, explaining after the game to the other manager that he didn't have a team built on power or somthing like that and Garner used the line 'you don't tell your power hitters to go up there and bunt'

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

What was the score when Davey Lopes went off on Rickey Henderson?

EDIT: It was 12 - 5 in the 7th.

http://www.usatoday.com/s...ike/2001-07-31-lopes.htm

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I'm with Myday2001. This isn't a "complaint." It's an opinion offered in response to a direct question.

Quade and Roenicke have differing opinions on the matter at hand, but both takes are legitimate. I don't have a hard time seeing the point being made by either one of the two gentlemen.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I didn't take that article as Quade compaining since it was the reporter asking him how he felt about it first.....

It sounds more like the author of the article trying to 'stir the pot' ..

Quade did say "we will see how it turns out" seeming to say their may be retaliation for Gomez stealing. I hope there is. I hope the next time we play them they hit Gomez on purpose and then he steals second and third

Agreed, any help in getting Gomez on base is appreciated.

So is there any cutoff point where stealing bases is unacceptable?

"No," Roenicke said, "there isn't."

Ron is trying his best to get me to like him.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Maybe complain is too harsh but the fact that he thinks a 5 run lead is too big to steal is ridiculous. Remember that Texas game a few years back, it would have been nice to have another run there. Quade should have simply said, well my catcher should throw him out then.

WHat I saw was Quade disagreeing with Roenicke that there are or aren't unwritten rules.

Quade then said that because they're unwritten, that they're open to everyone's own interpretation, and I didn't get the impression that he had a problem with Gomez running there.

WHat I saw was Quade disagreeing with Roenicke that there are or aren't unwritten rules.

Quade then said that because they're unwritten, that they're open to everyone's own interpretation, and I didn't get the impression that he had a problem with Gomez running there.

Interesting. As I reread that I can see where you are coming from. I still question what his "We will see how it plays out" comment means but I can see where you are coming from.

Interesting. As I reread that I can see where you are coming from. I still question what his "We will see how it plays out" comment means but I can see where you are coming from.

What's REALLY interesting is that while Quade says the nature of an unwritten rule is that it's open to interpretation, his very comments themselves are likewise, open to interpretation. Hard to judge exactly what he's saying here.

See, I look at it differently...

If your up big (open to interpertaion) and your the home team... keep running the score up... Since baseball is an entertainment... most fans would LOVE to see them score more

If your on the road... then I'd say slow it down.. (Unless your in Pittsburgh and they are chanting 20)

Keep doing everything you can to run up the score vs. the Cubs so that they realize they just don't have the hang of this baseball thing and wrap up the club!

I'm only partly kidding!

Here's what I don't understand - how is a lack of effort because of an "insurmountable lead" any different from a lack of effort in a game where you bet on the result?

Rules: Either write 'em down or shut the hell up about interpretation of some mystical old school nonsense.

Quade only said these things to stick up for his players (Soto) who was embarrassed by Gomez. This is the only reason Quade said these things, because he thinks it is in the best interest of Soto's confidence level. Remembering managing these 30 year old babies who are not used to looking bad is a major job of a manager and you have to always give your players the impression you support them 100% or they will not play as hard/focused as possible.

I'm a little on the fence when it comes to my team stealing bases with a big lead. On one hand players should never stop playing their game because it's too easy to get in a rut as it is. Why make it easier yet by changing what is working because some archaic non rule says you're supposed to let up at a certain point. On the other if they are simply padding their stats I see no real value in it.

I do think teams who complain about it happening to them should keep quiet unless they told the opponent they will quit trying to score runs. To keep trying to get back in the game but expect the other team to stop trying to keep it out of reach is about as stupid a request as one could ask of their opponent.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

I wouldn't stop running with anything less than a 7 run lead with one inning left. I personally witnessed the Brewers losing a 6 run lead to the Orioles in the 9th back in the day and I recall that happening one or two other times. Five runs is nothing.

Say we had lost the 5 run lead and, subsequently, the game. We would have not only been murdering the bullpen for blowing it, but also the missed opportunities earlier in the game, such as the situation with Gomez had he not stealed. As a final victim, Ron Roenicke would have been tarred and feathered had he come out into the postgame interview and said we didn't steal Gomez because of some unwritten rules.

I can get behind certain unwritten rules, but even then have an issue with them as playing baseball is about winning the game. Period. Bunting to break up a no-hitter if you are trailing by a run or two should be perfectly legitmate because you play to win, not help an opposing team and player make history.

Archived