Brewer Fanatic

Brewers set to enforce new nutritional guidelines for all minor leaguers

Mass Haas
Brewer Fanatic Staff

Banning bad foods could make Brevard County Manatees more formidable on the field

Florida State League team issues dietary guidelines

by Mark DeCotis, Florida Today

Name the staples of the diet of an average 19 to 22 year old and it's a safe bet that it's not on the approved list for the Brevard County Manatees.

Major League Baseball's Milwaukee Brewers, the parent team of the Advanced Class A Florida State League Manatees, for the first time issued expanded nutritional guidelines for all its minor leaguers.

And just so there are no doubts and no one can claim ignorance, the list is posted at the entry to the Manatees clubhouse at Space Coast Stadium.

It contains the following non-approved substances:

Soda including diet

Snack cakes

Pizza

Bologna

Pop Tarts

Cheese puffs

Sugary drinks (Gatorade OK)

Cookies/cakes/desserts

Energy drinks

Twizzlers

Salami

Fried cheese curds

Fried mozzarella sticks

Potato chips

Slim Jims

Skittles

Hot dogs

Nachos

All packaged, processed junk foods

All non-NSF supplements such as 5-Hour Energy and Monster Rock Star

For right-handed pitcher Rob Wooten, the guidelines are welcome.

"A little surprised just because a lot of guys in the minor leagues like to snack a little bit," he said of his reaction upon seeing the guidelines for the first time.

"But for me, I try to eat healthy as much as I can. I kind of like that (guidelines), it kind of shows me the proper action of getting us the right things in our body to perform the right way. Surprised but happy too at the same time."

Under the guidelines, players can purchase items on the list themselves -- the team will not supply them -- and bring them into the clubhouse. But, they cannot store them in a team refrigerator, locker or other container.

The guidelines won't affect Wooten as much as it might others.

"I'm not a real big snack person," he said. "I know a lot of people were upset about the Diet Cokes and the chips and all that stuff being gone."

Manatees Manager Jeff Isom said the guidelines are an expansion of previous efforts to help everyone in the minors, including managers.

"I like to get my bag of chips every once in a while," he said. "No more chips for me, no more sodas as well. We have to be healthy as well and, hopefully, I'll lose some weight this summer.

"We've always had dietary guidelines throughout our organization. This year, they've expanded that. They want to make sure that nutrition is a big thing with these players."

However, the guidelines were not universally welcomed, initially.

"There was some eye rolling and that type stuff," Isom said. "But they understand we're looking out for their best interests. If they want to perform at a top level, they're going to have to do things and this is just part of that developmental process."

Ensuring players adhere to the guidelines falls to strength and conditioning coach Jonah Mergen, who is following guidelines handed down by Brewers Minor League Strength and Conditioning Coordinator Jeff Mester and Leslie Bonti, a Brewers nutritional adviser.

Mergen, armed with an extra $75 a day from the Brewers to ensure the quality of nutrition, works with clubhouse manager Ryan McDonald to set menus for the team meals.

"I'm in contact with him . . . to talk about the food options, what's being done," Mergen said. "He does the shopping, does the preparation and everything and he then brings me the receipt. I have to sign off on the receipt in order for him to get the money."

And while much effort is going into the process, there are going to be days when the circumstances dictate some wiggle room.

"You're dealing with 140 games here, there's going to be room for adjustment," Mergen said. "We're going to have some times where it might need to be bent. And that's where I come in and just try to work with Ryan and say what's a better choice?"

"Under the guidelines, players can purchase items on the list themselves -- the team will not supply them -- and bring them into the clubhouse. But, they cannot store them in a team refrigerator, locker or other container."

This doesn't say that they can't eat them...it just says that they won't be provided by the team. It also says that they can't store the stuff in team containers. I would hope that the team does purchase "healthy" snack foods and keep them in those team refrigerators, etc. Does anyone know if this is true?

It may mean that the spread is much healthier, which is good. But given the remaining per diem of what, $10 after they pay for the spread?, not much can be gotten especially on the road. Hopefully they contact host families so at least at home they have a decent shot.

Archived