Brewer Fanatic

Eric Farris: is there any chance he can play short? -- Latest: Farris to begin playing SS 2x a week

paul253

Good teams use depth to acquire needed pieces. Farris is unlikely to ever be an everyday SS, but he might be able to play there for a couple days a month as a utility player. That would have value, especially with his speed.

Is there any chance this guy can play shortstop? With Weeks being signed long term, what does keeping Farris at second base accomplish?

Not sure if he can, but it certainly doesn't hurt to try him out there. It's not like Edwin Maysonet has any future other than AAA fodder.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

We just traded away our top 2 SS from the system in the past two years. We lost Cruz and mainly have Maysonet to backup a stop-gap starting SS in Yuni.

If they still aren't playing Farris at SS regularly, they never will. So I would say based on that: "No".

Mark Loretta, Marco Scutaro, David Eckstein, and many others were told they could never play SS in the majors (the first two by the brewers), and all have been fine-to-good. I still say it's time to give him a shot at SS

If the guy can even be average at it he could have the opportunity to be the everyday SS in Milwaukee next year. It would really help out financially too and would free up some more money to try to extend Marcum and/or Greinke. Surely he must know his path his blocked at second base. If I were him, I'd ask to for some chances to play short.

Is there any chance this guy can play shortstop?

I'll clarify that I was answering "Is there any chance...", not "Does he have the ability..."

If the Brewers haven't given him a chance now, then they won't (right or wrong).

Farris was a shortstop at Loyola Marymount so it's not like he'd be foreign to the position. My guess is the Brewers moved him to second because at the time he was drafted they already had Hardy, Escobar and Brent Brewer, who was still rated very highly in their system. Defensively, he's been very good at 2B. Perhaps his arm may be a bit weak. It's hard to imagine a guy with his base stealing ability lacks range.

For whatever reason they seem reluctant to move him to SS, though he played a few innings there in spring. It could be they already are confident that he'd be adequate there in a utility role and they want other teams to see him as a potential everyday 2B in case of a deal. I could see them moving him after the trade deadline.

With all the injuries at shortstop in AAA, it seems as though if Farris doesn't move to shortstop now he never will. I just don't get it. They have pretty much no shortstop prospects playing in full season ball. Why not just play him there and see what he can do? Or Gennett too...he's played shortstop before. Why not see what he can do? We know they can handle second base and if it doesn't work out they can move back to second. But as of now, there is nowhere for Farris to play in Milwaukee. I don't see the harm of letting him take some reps at shortstop.

But as of now, there is nowhere for Farris to play in Milwaukee.

Not exactly true, since he is projected as a utility type player (although, he seems to be exceeding that). But still, if you want to groom the guy as a Utility player, why not get him some time at SS? I could see (and be comfortable with) Green and Farris as our backup infielders next year (although I doubt that happens given that they will be both rookies).

Well that's thing with Farris...he can't be a platoon player if he only knows how to play second base. Green can play second and third and if Farris could cover short then I would be happy with those two as the backups next season. It would be a step up from this years backups.

How can Wheeler play a full season at SS and Farris not even get a short?
The Brewers just have my head spinning over this Farris thing......makes absolutely zero sense! He can't be a UT like ppl have mentioned if he is only allowed to play 2nd. They are willing to play Wheeler who defensively is not great at SS all over the infield (2B, SS, 3B) Green is allowed to move around (1B, 2B, 3B) but Farris whos only hope to touch a mlb diamond is for one of our most talented core players to go down is not allowed an opportunity to play SS. Why? They are moving mountains looking for another SS to add depth but all they have to do is simple slide a guy over. How awful could Farris be?Wheeler has a strong arm and nimble for his size but come on.... I don't see Giants trying to turn Panda into a SS. Wheeler is just a big boy. I like him a lot but dont want to see him at SS everyday.

I wish someone would just give a direct answer as to why Farris is not an option. Ash just needs to say he doesn't have the arm or as it appears just say he has zero future with the Brewers unless something really bad happens to one of our franchise players (don't want to jynx it so wont mention the name lol). I love the idea of Green and Farris as UT guys next season but Farris needs to be allowed to play around the diamond.

Feels good to release some frustration on the topic

Well that's good news to say the least. If he can be at least average defensively, he has the opportunity to be on Milwaukee's roster next year at worst. If he can hit, he has the opportunity to be the starting shortstop (I know that's a long shot but you never know)

I think this is Counsell's last year. If Farris proves he can maybe handle some short, I could see Yubet's option being picked up and Farris being groomed to either platoon/back him up for a year with an eye toward replacing him in 2013 on the major league roster next year. Folks won't enjoy this post.

There is no way Betancourt's option is picked up.

Agreed. There should be plenty of SS that we can find next year for less than $4M that will be an upgrade from Yuni.

If he can hit

As long as he continues like he has, he hits enough for the SS position. It will be nice to see what he brings for defense... But here is a question: How big of a sample do we need to "prove" he can or can't play SS? And will 2 games a week be enough to reach that amount?

If there is any chance Farris could start at short next year, he should be playing there just about every day. Same is true with Gamel at first. Gamel seems to be doing well so far in the field. If Farris is seen only as utility, then it's okay to see part time duty at short as he will be in the majors.

Archived