Brewer Fanatic

Random Physics & Baseball Related Ponderings/Questions

The Truth

1) Why isn't the player standing in the on deck circle hit with a foul ball much more often? I mean, seriously, is there some sort of physics related reason why a foul ball wouldn't be hit in that direction?

2) Furthermore, why do we never see (or almost never, I can't remember it ever happening) a ballplayer foul off a ball into their own face? Is that physically impossible or something?

3) Why are we seeing so many more "Oblique" injuries than in decades past? Did they just call it something else back then? "Side sprains". As a kid and baseball fanatic in the 1970's I don't recall anyone ever having an "Oblique Injury". Is this the result of more weight training in modern times? i.e. bigger muscles equals more chances of spraining something...

Provisional Member
As for #1, the on deck hitter is almost perpendicular to the hitter. In a physics perspective Force = Mass x Acceleration. A 90mph fastball would have to nearly equal the Force of the bat hitting the ball to get the ball to go straight sideways. Since the mass of the bat is so much more than the ball the angle at which the bat must hit that ball to get it going in that direction would nearly hit a player in the first place making it unlikely that a swing would take place anyway. Or, a professional hitter would have to be so far behind a pitch that it just seems highly unlikely that it would ever happen.

On #3 I think Captain Ron was onto something about over conditioning or poor conditioning programs. I think he was referring to Hart at the time but I think it's very common for athletes in general to focus solely on strength but totally forget flexibility work to balance that out. Probably partially because it's boring and partially because, if done correctly, it's kind of painful. Proper stretching for flexibility requires making tiny micro tears in the muscle that adds length to the muscle as it heals. That type of stretching is best done after workouts not before. Trainers generally focus on stretching before the workout not after. Before workout stretching helps prevent immediate injury but does nothing for long term flexibility. After workout stretching does that yet most programs I've been part of totally neglects that. They do cool downs but not flexibility expansion exercises.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

On #3 I think Captain Ron was onto something about over conditioning or poor conditioning programs. I think he was referring to Hart at the time but I think it's very common for athletes in general to focus solely on strength but totally forget flexibility work to balance that out.
Interesting. So you think it is related to current training/workout routines and isn't just a semantics thing. I was thinking maybe they just called it a "side injury" back in the 70's/80's and players just played throught it, toughed it out and maybe just had down years statistically as a result. But what you are saying is that this is something new

I think people used to play through these small injuries a lot more since they weren't such an investment for the team. There are also more games, more teams and more players. The players are bigger, faster, throw harder and the game is played faster on the field just like every other sport. More injuries are always going to result from this.

2. You would have to have little league level timing to foul a full swing off of your own face. It would be much more likely to happen on a bunt.
When I was a kid I fouled a ball straight down at home plate at the Johnson's Park batting cages. Since home plate was just white paint on cement, it bounced back up and hit me in the mouth. Had to go to the concession stand for ice. Those bats were way too heavy.

Interesting. So you think it is related to current training/workout routines and isn't just a semantics thing. I was thinking maybe they just called it a "side injury" back in the 70's/80's and players just played throught it, toughed it out and maybe just had down years statistically as a result. But what you are saying is that this is something new

They certainly are doing more of it now than the 70's. More precisely though is I think the workout regimes change through time. Core training seems to be a big thing now days. It shouldn't come as a surprise that along with this increase is core training you would see an increase of those who don't core train correctly. Perhaps they are in a phase of learning what type of core training is the right type. Who knows for sure. One thing I do know is all types of training start out as well reasoned theory put into practice. If the theory holds up the training is a success. If there are unintended side effects it may not be. I tend to think the biggest unintended side effect is strains, tears and pulls usually due to a lack of balancing out strength with flexibility. One of my personal feelings on weight training in general is trainers focus way too much on strength and too little on flexibility to make sure the muscles don't overpower themselves so to speak.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Archived