Brewer Fanatic

2011-04-08 Cubs (Zambrano) at Brewers (Wolf); [Brewers lose, 7-4]

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was at the game tonight as well. The crowd sounded about 50/50 as far as Brewers vs. Cubs fans, but I'm guessing there were more Brewers fans and the Cub supporters were just more vocal.

In regards to the 9th inning, once RR decided to pinch hit with Kotsay (sigh... where are the days that we had a brooding bat on our bench simply to swing for the fences? We've gotta have one of those guys somewhere in our system if we insist on using a "power bat" in that situation), would it have been such a bad idea to pinch hit Counsell for Gomez?

It likely would have hurt Gomez's confidence, but a RHB prone to strikeouts against a RHP with a career K/9 of 11.7 is a terrible match up. At that point the best we could hope for is a guy to get on base for Braun and Counsell likely provides the best option for that, even considering that Marmol's about even vs. RHB and LHB.

Eh, it is what it is. Go get 'em tomorrow, Narvdog.

"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

Was also at the game - I couldn't tell for certain how well Wolf was pitching. Definitely had the curveball working well early. But after the gassing in the 4th that I largely attribute to the dropped popup, I thought the 5th should be his final inning. The further damage wasn't much but at that point in the game the Brewers were nibbling back and the extra run stunted the momentum. The 6th inning was the key for me - tack-on run for the Cubs plus Zambrano running on fumes quickly retiring Morgan, Kottaras, and Reed (why is he on the roster?). Obviously the 9th inning is the big topic. Does Counsell have poor numbers historically vs. Marmol or something? 2 different opportunities to get him an AB there and it didn't happen. One of the more notably poorly managed games I remember seeing (on both sides).

I really liked the Roenicke hire and still have plenty of optimism, but he certainly did not put the team in the best position to win tonight.

Counsell is 0-4, 2K, BB vs Marmol, Gomez was just 0-2, Kotsay was 0-0 with a BB. Way too small of samples to indicate anything, it would be moreso based on their career norms.

RR had Mitre up in the 9th, but let Braddock face Byrd, who drove in an important insurance run. Braddock is a capable pitcher, but RR has been kind of weird about match up pitching so far.

"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

Kotsay must have pictures of DM and/or MA. He should be playing in the independent leagues with Rickey Henderson.
Really hope at some point he is DFA'd and Brandon Boggs is brought up. Would much rather have a switch hitting OF who can actually play defense and hit a little bit.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Archived