Brewer Fanatic

Question about TV coverage: Friday, April 8

yoshii8

Thanks. I guess I would understand blacking out games that are shown on FS Wisconsin also, but why do they black out games that aren't televised elsewhere? That doesn't seem to make sense at all. Is there a link to the television rules? I'm having a hard time finding anything.

It doesn't matter. If you are in the teams home television territory, the game will be blacked out on MLBtv.

Blackout restrictions.

You don't have an Adam Wainwright. Easily the best gentlemen in all of sports. You don't have the amount of real good old American men like the Cardinals do. Holliday, Wainwright, Skip, Berkman those 4 guys are incredible people

GhostofQuantrill

I know FSN has the bucks game on over the brewers tonight. (why i do not know) but does anyone know if they are still going to have the game on an alternative station. I know on AT&T uverse its 1745 one above fsn regular station? They did that ealier this year and did it a quite a few times last year when Bucks games were on. Cant seem to find that info anywhere.

It doesn't matter. If you are in the teams home television territory, the game will be blacked out on MLBtv.

Blackout restrictions.

Try living in Iowa.....MLB.TV blacksout all local teams....which is crazy...none of these teams should be blacked out in Iowa.

The below-listed Club(s) is within the searched home television territory, and MLB.TV is subject to blackout for all regular season live games for these Club(s):

Chicago White Sox

Milwaukee Brewers

Chicago Cubs

St. Louis Cardinals

Kansas City Royals

Minnesota Twins

Approximate Zip Code: 52722

I don't know why MLB, or professional sports in general for that matter(although I believe MLB is the worst), insist on making it more difficult for people to become fans of the sport. I get that they want people to go the games and all but sometimes it's not an option. Has there actually been any research done that proves local blackouts increase team revenue? I would guess in the long run they lose potential fans. Even if they started selling pay per view games at least the option would be there.

I know FSN has the bucks game on over the brewers tonight. (why i do not

know) but does anyone know if they are still going to have the game on

an alternative station.

In the Milwaukee local market, WMLW would be the alternative station since the satellite and cable companies carry it.

Outside of the Milwaukee area, DirecTV will carry the game on an alternate sports channel. This year, for the first time, members have reported that outstate cable providers were also carrying the game on alternate channels. DISH seems to be a crap shoot. It's hard to tell what they're going to do.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

The past couple years, I've been able to get every WMLW game on Dish Network, but it doesn't look like I'm able to get tonight's game -- that makes me 1-for-3 so far, only getting the Cincinnati game. Casey's right that Dish is a crapshoot.

I've never understood the blackout rules for any pro league, but MLB's are probably the most asinine. The NCAA is actually brilliant for the way they handle March Madness On Demand (totally free to watch any game regardless of where you live, but I believe you can pay for more features). In my ideal world, MLB.com would lift the MLB.TV blackouts and let you buy a single game for $1 or $2. It's a minimal fee people wouldn't mind paying, and the full MLB.TV package could still be advertised as the better per-game deal. For a couple extra bucks, they could even let you download a digital copy of the game...if a no-hitter or something historic happens, they'd make a killing.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

I don't think it's on DirecTV for the second time this year when WMLW is carrying the game. This just stinks. I know there are some Bucks fans on this board, but trust me, outside of the Milwaukee and perhaps Madison areas, most of the rest of the state could not care less about the Bucks.

I don't understand why DirecTV is not picking up the WMLW games this year. If it's on MLB Network it will be blacked out in Wisconsin because FSN holds the rights to the game. They just choose not to air it. A Spring Training game on MLB was blacked out a few weeks ago. Like people in Wisconsin are going to hop in their car and drive to Arizona if the game is blacked out.

So, to review, if it's on MLB it's blacked out. But if it were on WGN everyone in the country with cable would be able to watch it. But if you try to watch the Cubs feed on the free preview of Extra Innings tonight, it will be blacked out. However, if you turn to Extra Innings mix channel it will probably appear in one of the little windows and you'll be able to highlight it and even listen to announcers.

MLB is stoopid. I blame Bud Selig.

I can verify what honuswagner21 posted about the DirecTV coverage, in the Fox Valley, anyway. Channel 162. At least, that's what it shows on the guide.

Channel 162 shows up when you do a "smart search" on the DirecTV menu. When I performed the same kind of search for the last WMLW game on April 5th, no alternate channel was returned (aside from Fox Sports South, which isn't a channel on my plan).

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I have TWC up in Appleton and on MLB network it says regional coverage: Philly v Atlanta or Chi v Mil(I'm holding out hope they end up showing the game when it comes on), but how can they call it regional coverage if it's blacked out in the region that is most likely to want to watch it?

Well there goes that small hope http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/frown.gif

Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

162 on Directv has the game listed but it's not been "activated" yet, as there is still just a Directv logo on the screen.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Like Principessa said, no game on DirecTV for us. I've been on hold calling DirecTV for almost half an hour now. Of course, that's cumulative, since I've been disconnected three different times before speaking to anyone.

For anyone that wants to call in the hopes to pressure them to get something done, call 800-531-5000 & press *822 as soon as you get to the main menu. *822 is the tech support extension... I practically had to twist the cust. svc. rep's arm to get him to tell me that extension. No joke, when I asked for that direct number or extension, his first response was that he couldn't do that. It took me asking twice more, with the final time being relatively forceful & direct about having been cut off three different times & not wanting to sit through the phone tree again. Corporate America makes me want to break things.

EDIT: Finally got through to tech support. The first response I'm getting is, "we don't have a 162". Anger. Rising.

EDIT2: CWSOmaha, we also have CSN-Chi on 666-1, but it's not a channel that's included in our package. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/frown.gif

So the short version of the story, as best I can tell, is that WMLW didn't get its broadcast feed to DirecTV. The tech support guy I spoke with said he could see the channel I was talking about (& that in my region, the info said Cubs v. Brewers), but that it had no signal. Now, I'm sure DirecTV would want to divert blame if it were their fault, but I can't for the life of me figure any way in which it could be on them.

I think it's pretty safe to say that WMLW continues to be the worst possible MLB broadcast in the country. I honestly don't think that's overstating things.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived