Brewer Fanatic

Francisco Rodriguez

I have a strong feeling that if Axford falters during the year that Melvin will go out and trade for Francisco Rodriguez. There was reports earlier in the year that the Mets were looking to limit Rodriguez's in the number of games he would appear in. If the Mets are out of it by the deadline which I believe they will be I believe Rodriguez would be the player Melvin will go and trade for. This just feels like a trade that Melvin will go out and do at the trade deadline if Axford is not performing well or the bullpen in general is not doing well. I am not sure what the Mets would be looking to get for Rodriguez if the reports/rumors are true from earlier it may not be all that much that will be needed to get Rodriguez. If the Brewers take on all of Rodriguez's salary I believe the prospect going back will not be all that big.

This is from Cot's:

2011:$11.5M, 2012:$17.5M option ($3.5M buyout)

2012 option becomes guaranteed with:

- 55 games finished in 2011, and

- 100 games finished in 2010-11, and

- doctors declare Rodriguez healthy after 2011

I really can't see this happening unless the Mets eat about half of his 2012 salary (assuming a buyout doesn't apply).

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

They have Saito and Braddock if Axford fails. If both of them fail.... well... the season will be for naught anyway.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

They have Saito and Braddock if Axford fails. If both of them fail.... well... the season will be for naught anyway.

If both of them fail, there's also Loe & proven former closer Hawkins once he's healthy.

• 5 weeks later...
This is from Cot's:

2011:$11.5M, 2012:$17.5M option ($3.5M buyout)

2012 option becomes guaranteed with:

- 55 games finished in 2011, and

- 100 games finished in 2010-11, and

- doctors declare Rodriguez healthy after 2011

I really can't see this happening unless the Mets eat about half of his 2012 salary (assuming a buyout doesn't apply).

The Mets are reportedly rumored to be willing to pay for the buyout. I don't see Rodriguez getting 55 games finished this season if he were on the Brewers definitely would be the 7th inning guy replacing Saito. If the prospects would be something minimal and the Mets were willing to take on a little bit of his 2011 salary I would do a deal for Rodriguez. Rodriguez is definitely not a closer anymore but he looks to be a useful bullpen asset.

K Rod in a Brewers uniform would be fun to see. I'm not convinced that the Brewers will be in it at the trade deadline. We could very well be sellers not buyers

If the Brewers are in 2nd or 3rd I can see Melvin making a small move for someone like K Rod. K Rod is definitely not a closer anymore but he could sure help the bullpen right now. I don't think it would take all that much to get K Rod from the Mets at this time. If the Brewers take on the buyout for next year that would make him even cheaper in terms of a prospect you are probably looking at a Cutter Dykstra type of a prospect for K Rod and I don't think his value is much higher than that.

There's no way we take on that salary. None.

That's ridiculous. It may be unlikely, but to pretend that there is absolutely no chance is hyperbole at best.

By the time the Brewers were to trade for him, you'd be looking at adding possibly 10 million dollars in guaranteed money with the buyout.

As for K-Rod not being a closer anymore and being our 7th inning guy, I don't understand this logic at all. \\

2.19 FIP

.96 ERA

10.6 K/9

And he's doing this with a .360 BABIP this year. He's still a very good pitcher despite a decrease in velocity.

He'd be a very good addition to our bullpen, and while I agree it's unlikely the Brewers would want to add his contract with next years salary, if there was a chance they could work it so next years salary wasn't guaranteed, and they traded for him half way through the season...it becomes at least possible.

More likely if we gave up a couple of solid prospects and the Mets were willing to pay 10 million assuming he DID see his 2012 salary vest, we'd be on the hook for about 13 million. Much more palpable. Having them throw in Taylor Buccholz would make the prospect of taking on salary a lot easier to swallow as well.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

• 1 month later...

Take on the full salary and use that in place of a premium prospect in talks for Reyes. One trade to bring back Reyes and K-Rod - Half a season of Reyes and K-rod would cost roughly 11 million alone, and with the K-rod buyout it would be $14.5 million. Pretty attractive for a team in financial trouble, but it would also take a glut of prospects along with all that money. Doubt there is any chance it would happen, but this lineup would be crazy:

Reyes

Weeks

Braun

Fielder

Hart

McGehee

Lucroy

Morgan

1-4 would be a pitchers nightmare and if Hart and McGehee could find a semblance of their past selves - you'd have to think that team would right up there with the Phillies as the favorites in the NL.

Archived