Brewer Fanatic

dry clubhouse?

DHonks
In the jsonline blog update, Melvin is quoted as saying they can't have beer in the clubhouse...why is that? I remember hearing that the clubhouse was dry during Lopes' time, then under Ned we famously heard of players getting "beer showers" in '08. Was this a club decision, Roenicke, or a workplace safety issue?

With the Nick Adenhart tragedy last year in Anahiem, I wouldn't be surprised in the least if the dry clubhouse is a Roenicke decision.
Everything I've ever known, I've learned from Brewerfan.net....Seriously though

I could be wrong but I thought this became an issue in MLB after the Nick Adenhart accident and the league was thinking of banning beer in all clubhouses. As Roenicke was a coach in that organization and his strong Christian beliefs it would make sense for it to be a team rule.

Seeing as the team is in Milwaukee, plays at Miller park, and is called the freakin Brewers I think beer in the clubhouse is only natural.

And I think that the Adenhart backlash is really stupid. It's not like he was drinking in the clubhouse and crashed his car, a drunk driver hit him. It's very unfortunate what happened, but there's no correlation between alcohol in the clubhouse and his accident.

I can see both sides of it. There is no good reason they have to drink in the clubhouse, it is technically their place of employment and very few jobs let you drink in the building even if you are 'off the clock'. On the other hand the realities of their job makes the clubhouse a little bit like their home so they should have a good bit of freedom in it.

Though I can understand the opposing arguments, personally I don't see the harm in allowing the guys to have a beer or two in the clubhouse after the game. Seems like kind of a moot point anyway since most of these guys seem to get out of there ASAP after the games.

Can you imagine if they'd had a dry clubhouse in '82? There would have been an all out revolt.

Can you imagine if they'd had a dry clubhouse in '82? There would have been an all out revolt.
I was thinking the same thing. That team was probably drinking in the dugout.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

The OP in this thread references thisarticle. The main point was the shower Roenicke took for his first victory.

The entire team as well as the coaching staff pounced on him and

showered him with water in celebration of his first major-league

victory.

Why water?

“We can’t have beer in the clubhouse,” explained general manager Doug Melvin.

When I heard "shower," gatorade was my first guess, water would be my second. Why would someone assume beer? Seems like Tom wrote the article (in part) to bring out the beer-free locker room angle.

I realize that big celebrations are handled with the team shaking and spraying bottles of beer (or more typically champagne), but this wasn't that. You don't celebrate 1-4 like that. This was the manager's first victory. And typically in sports a manager gets doused with the leftovers from what the players drink during the game (gatorade/water).

Why not, Gorman Thomas would smoke out in the outfield in between pitches.

My dad has pictures from a game where there was a keg at 2nd base!

Didn't they soak Hart in beer while he was holding his kid at a press conference after he made the allstar game in 2008?

EDIT: Specified the year.

Yeah, I believe you are right about that. People thought it was a little over -the-top because he had a kid with him.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

That keg was one of my favorite players growing up.

That keg was one of my favorite players growing up.

Insert "more range than Betancourt" comments here!

In today's legal landscape, alcohol in the workplace is rare, at best. The last retailer I worked for banned any company sponsored get togethers at places that serve alcohol...no bowling nights, no holiday dinners at a nice restaurant with a bar attached. At one store, someone brought in a regional beer they had bought on vacation for another person who liked microbrews...dismissed on the spot. I "looked the other way" when a gal brought several friends a bottle of "rice wine" bought on a church mission trip somewhere.

The legal ramifications are unlimited. Like many traditions, change was likely overdue.

I remember the tour of the clubhouse at least the visiting one, and Miller Lites were lined up in the cooler along with Red Bulls and Gatoraide and all that..

Now there is an idea... load the visitor's clubhouse with whiskey, vodka, schnapps, Long Island Ice Teas... that might help our home record! http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

• 2 weeks later...

"Kintzler, who could be on his way back to the minors any day if more relief help is needed, was rewarded with his first big-league victory and a beer shower from his teammates."

so it is allowed in Philly's ballpark.

Archived