Brewer Fanatic

Estrada's contract purchased; Kintzler optioned to AAA; Merklinger DFA'd to clear 40-man spot for Estrada

battlekow
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Merk is one of my sleeper favorites. Not a really high ceiling, but definitely a MLB SP ceiling and not that far away. I think he will clear waivers, but I wouldn't be surprised if some non-contending pitching-poor team nabs him (like the Brewers of last year).

Brewer Fanatic Staff

I'm going to be seriously ticked if someone grabs Merklinger.

There was no reason to add him to the 40-man roster last fall, as no one was going to keep him on a big league roster all season (Rule 5). But with two more option years left, someone may grab him now and stash him away.

Too much Narvdog-like potential there with the ability to strike guys out. The Capuano comps from the Rising Stars game were interesting, too.

Does anyone know if there is a site that conveniently lists the current 40-man roster counts for all MLB clubs? It'd be interesting to see which teams have room on their 40-man's right now.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

The nice thing about Estrada is that he has an option remaining.

The Nationals purchased his contract in August of 2008, adding him to their 40-man. His first option was used by the Nationals in 2009, then the Brewers optioned him in spring of 2010.

That's good, I didn't know that. I wonder if he'll just be optioned right after the game then, so he can just be recalled for the next start on April 16. Not sure who we'd recall, because it can't be Kintzler, but it would make more sense than keeping Estrada around.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

I still say that we were better off just going with Mitre and not risking losing anyone of the 40-man roster. I don't see much difference between Mitre and Estrada, so the move makes little sense.

I'm guessing they view Estrada & Mitre as the only long arms they have. Since neither are exceptional options, they'll probably both be needed tonight. At least they should be able to save the rest of the pen even if one of them melts.

Unless he bombs badly tonight, I'd just leave Estrada in the rotation until Greinke comes back. Then he can be optioned to make room. The real question is who on the staff goes when Hawkins returns. I think they are going to try to extend his rehab as long as possible and wait to see if someone else comes up a little sore. With Parra, it's not such a mystery since both Stetter and Braddock have options.

I would assume when Hawkins gets back, one of the lefties (either Stetter or Braddock) would be optioned down. My take was that the whole idea of having two lefties to begin with was that Parra would also double as the long reliever, but injuries obviously changed those plans and left a door open for Stetter.

The real question is when Parra will even be available again, and then would they choose to option Mitre, who I think still does have an option (correct me if I'm wrong). I agree on Estrada though, if he does well, no reason not to give him another start unless they think Mark Rogers will be ready and raring.

I would assume when Hawkins gets back, one of the lefties (either Stetter or Braddock) would be optioned down. My take was that the whole idea of having two lefties to begin with was that Parra would also double as the long reliever, but injuries obviously changed those plans and left a door open for Stetter.

The real question is when Parra will even be available again, and then would they choose to option Mitre, who I think still does have an option (correct me if I'm wrong). I agree on Estrada though, if he does well, no reason not to give him another start unless they think Mark Rogers will be ready and raring.

Parra is throwing a simulated game today, then will go on a rehab assignment. Should be back sooner rather than later. He'll be back before Hawkins I would guess.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Really? Was not aware Parra was actually on a schedule. Interesting though, do you know if Mitre has any options? I wonder if they're committed to him as a long reliever or whether they just want him for depth.

Mitre is out of options, which is why the Yankees wanted to see if they could get anything for him via trade when it was clear he wasn't going to make their roster. He strikes me as the type that would be quickly snatched up by someone, too, even if it was the Royals or something.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Yeah, Parra is a late inning guy. He has electric stuff and he is tough to hit when he only has to work an inning maybe two. Hopefully he can rebuild the confidence and get back to the rotation next season pitching like he is capable of. With him, all issues are about 90% mental and confidence related. He gets over that, he is that guy we though was going to be Yo side kick for many years to come.

McClendon, James, or even Rogers (I assume he won't be called up, due to health concerns) would be every bit as likely to succeed as Kintzler. Losing Kintzler for 10 days is hardly a loss, he's not in the bullpen with healthy Parra and Hawkins anyway. He's great AAA depth mind you, but his ceiling seems very limited.

Estrada was very good tonight except for one pitch, and was solid last year before he was overused and lost velocity (He should have said he was unable to work a couple of those times, but always said he could go. It's sad how often guys are injured when trying to "play through" soreness or tightness.), as several relievers were unable to go during that time, though unannounced then. It wasn't until after the season it finally leaked out that Hoffman was not 100%, despite daily denials he was injured at the time. Marco has had a long history of success at AAA, which should translate into at least a serviceable middle reliever.

Yeah, Parra is a late inning guy. He has electric stuff and he is tough to hit when he only has to work an inning maybe two. Hopefully he can rebuild the confidence and get back to the rotation next season pitching like he is capable of. With him, all issues are about 90% mental and confidence related. He gets over that, he is that guy we though was going to be Yo side kick for many years to come.

Parra can't cut it as a starter. Something about his fastball makes it easy for hitters to hit hard. Probably location. I don't think the issues are mental of confidence related at all.

The Curious Case of Manny Parra

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Parra can't cut it as a starter. Something about his fastball makes it easy for hitters to hit hard. Probably location. I don't think the issues are mental of confidence related at all.

The Curious Case of Manny Parra

I don't agree with this at all. Parra's stuff is good enough for any role if he locates, and if he doesn't, he's just a front end of the pen type guy, or a swing man at best.

He's got several nasty pitches he CAN throw, so it's not a matter of him being just a 2 pitch pitcher. Parra could be a very good #2 should he ever figure it out. For this team, his role is in the pen obviously, but I just completely reject that premise.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Manny Parra can't translate his ability into results. Guys like that usually find themselves shuffled from team to team. It's incredible that the Brewers have shown the patience they have with this guy compared say to Villanueva (who the Blue Jays are raving about by the way). I just don't see it happening and I will be surprised if he's a Brewer in September.

Parra cannot control his pitches, there is absolutely no proof it is just mental but even if it is the results are the same. His fastball is also very flat so it is easy to hit so his other pitches have to be working or he will get hit hard because if they can sit fastball he is in trouble. Guys with great stuff fail all the time in major league baseball because stuff alone isn't enough.

You can talk about stuff all you want but when you throw a flat fastball to a major league hitter it better be 100 MPH or it is going to get hit hard a lot. Changing his delivery would probably help him more than any mental adjustment. The only thing confidence is going to do with him is allow him to use his other pitches in more counts so he can throw his below average fastball less often.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Parra isn't going to go long relief. You throw as hard as he does and you get penciled in for late innings.

I agree that Parra has more potential than Villy, but he his results so far have been similar to Villy's (not exact results, but up and down consistency). When he comes back, he is targeted for long reliever/early innings role in this BP. If he continues what he did last year in the pen, he could become a late inning guy, but he isn't there yet.

It's incredible that the Brewers have shown the patience they have with this guy...

Some people complained about being too impatient with De La Rosa or Nelson Cruz (which I would disagree with). Anyone that has some good talent (like Parra), they do try to give them as many chances as they can. Some years that is easier to do (available 40 man roster spots, realistic chance at the playoffs, etc..) than others, however.

Archived