Brewer Fanatic

Brewers Injury News 2011

Jofis11ep
  • Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Parra has a UCL sprain a tear of that ligament means Tommy John surgery and also a strained flexor tendon.
Haudricourt:
General manager Doug Melvin said the diagnosis on [Manny] Parra's elbow sounds bad, but the club does not believe he is headed for surgery. Trying to come back from a back injury by pitching in Nashville, he suffered a sprained ulnar collateral ligament in his elbow as well as a strained flexor tendon.

Those types of injuries sometimes lead to Tommy John reconstructive procedures, but Melvin said it is not considered that serious.

"Manny said it felt more like tightness than anything," said Melvin. "I don't think it's that bad. He won't be back soon because he has to go back through a throwing program, but we don't think it's that bad."

General manager Doug Melvin said the diagnosis on [Manny] Parra's elbow sounds bad, but the club does not believe he is headed for surgery [yet. That will come in a few weeks, after at least one more denial that Parra could need surgery.]
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

McCalvy:
Right-hander Brandon Kintzler has left Miller Park, and word is that he’s undergoing an MRI scan. I don’t know of any injury for Kintzler, who has not pitched since Game 2 of the Brewers’ May 4 doubleheader in Atlanta. I’ll look into it.

If Kintzler goes down, I'm guessing the potential replacements are:

Green

James

Dream Felice

I know who I want to see. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif Assuming I didn't miscount on Brewers website, 40-man roster has 1 spot open.

McCalvy has an update on Kintzler:

Kintzler departed Miller Park on Tuesday afternoon to undergo an MRI scan of his right triceps. He’s had discomfort at the base of that muscle, near his elbow, since his last outing in Atlanta on May 4.

Depending on the result of Kintzler’s MRI, the Brewers may once again need to raid the struggling Triple-A Nashville Sounds for a reliever. But general manager Doug Melvin said the team would probably be able to get through Wednesday’s series finale against the Padres without making any moves.

They probably don't need another reliever, but the next time they do it should be DiFelice.

With all the injuries to the bullpen and Stetter such an extreme liability vs righthanders, i was wondering for those of you who follow the minors close, is there a different lefty we can call up to replace Stetter that isn't such a liability vs righthanded bats?

I hate being in situations like tonight where Stetter is brought in and the opposing manager then pinch hits with a righthanded bat, i feel instant dread, especially if that RH batter has some power and could tie the game or take the lead with a home run. Plus, the way most teams stagger their lineups R/L, most times Stetter comes in he can only face one batter. This can cause problems when the bullpen is taxed, certain key guys should have a night off, and/or if the game goes extra innings.

EDIT-- I just looked at the Nashville pitching stats/roster, man that's looking really grim.

All LOOGY's stink vs RHers. Its on the manager to realize that. Sometimes they don't (Yost having Shouse IBB Howard to face Burrell. Yes I'm still bitter and the move costing Yost his job is not really any solace.)

Rosiak:

Just finished the morning briefing with manager Ron Roenicke, who said that reliver Brandon Kintzler appears to be OK after yesterday's MRI.

"They didn't find much, so that was good," he said. "Maybe that triceps that connects down low, like a little tendinitis."

Kintzler, not surprisingly, was happy with the outcome.
Roenicke said Kintzler won't be available for today's game with the San Diego Padres, but that he'll need to know by the open of the Brewers' weekend series with the Pittsburgh Pirates whether Kintzler will be ready to go.

"By Friday we'll have to kind of see where he's at," he said. "If he's not better by then, we'll probably have to do something (roster move)."

Rosiak:

One guy that isn't doing as well as hoped is reliever Brandon Kintzler.

The right-hander had an MRI earlier in the week to examine soreness in his right triceps that came back negative, but even with the day off yesterday he's not yet ready to go.

"Still unavailable," he said. "We're going to probably have to make a decision on that, maybe after tonight's game.

"Every time he goes out and throws, the next day he seems to be sore. We did the MRI on it, nothing showed up. We may have to DL him. But I think that may be what we have to do."

That's not great news for a bullpen that has its share of woes to this point of the season. One possibility Roenicke was asked about was right-hander Sean Green, who was sent down to Class AAA Nashville on May 5 after struggling in his first month with the Brewers.

Aside from Green, Roenicke said there might be another possibility or two the team could look at.

"He's not pitching real well, but he's doing OK," Roenicke said. "There's a few more there we could try."

Everyone's going to hate it but since the roster spot is so temporary with Braddock returning soon it'll probably be Green. Not sure why the "short" bench is such a big deal when Brandon Boggs doesn't play at all. The only other option to me is Justin James but I'd think they'd rather keep him in AAA.

Archived