Brewer Fanatic

Brewers Injury News 2011

Jofis11ep
  • Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/120998319.html

Now Roenicke is saying he won't commit to when Greinke will return. It makes no sense to not start him on regular rest on the 4th. He would have to be pushed back to the 6th to split Wolf and Narveson. If Roenicke wants to split them, he can just start Gallardo on regular rest on the 7th in between Wolf and Narveson. Either way I don't think it's smart, because somebody will have 6 days off between starts no matter what. If Greinke slots in on the 4th, all it does is give everyone one extra day, which makes more sense to me. Then everything is normal.

Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Like I said in the thread about the initial injury, this isn't even close to being the same situation as injuries to Riske or Hawkins were. Those two were being depended on to be major factors in the bullpen. When they went down or were ineffective, the bullpen looked a lot worse. Saito is just a really nice, really cheap piece to have around when he's healthy. .
Saito wasn't being depended on to be key contributor in the bullpen this season? That's certainly not was put in print at the time of his signing and that's certainly not the tone of his signing thread here on the site, some people were considering him the fall back closer option:

http://forum.brewerfan.net/viewtopic.php?t=23960

I wouldn't exactly characterize the bullpen as "fine" either... apparently we're back to relievers who only pitch 1 inning at a time and Loe has been a rock thus far or else the pen would look pretty bad. Saito is the perpetuation of what's been a horrible trend in DM's tenure as GM, at least in my opinion... picking up players at the end of their rope and hoping for 1 or 2 more good years out of them. The cost really isn't the point, it's the risk of getting absolutely nothing out of a guy because his body falls apart that's the problem. Of course we don't have any way to predict when a player is going to be done, that's the whole reason why we shouldn't sign players of that type in the first place. Getting lucky with a guy here and there doesn't make it all worth while either. 1 good year from Hoffman and relatively good bench play out of Counsell doesn't make this continuing experiment a success. DM doesn't exactly have a glowing track record with his 1 year reliever signings either. At least with the 1 year signings it's easier to move on and forget, I will give him that.

Just because our GM plays whack-a-mole with holes on the 25 man roster every off season doesn't make the signings "good" just because [expletive deleted by mod] is "plugged". It's somewhat humorous that the same people champion the same kind of moves every off season and then complain when the move doesn't pan out. A great Star Wars line comes to mind here, "Who's more foolish? The fool? Or the fool that follows him?". I used to be one those, "In DM we trust" posters on this site, I couldn't believe that Texas was dumb enough to send him packing. Then I took wider a wider of view of what was happening with the organization, some of the trends in baseball, the moves some organizations had made to get them to the level they achieved, and I realized that's he just a man who's great at building mediocrity. Honestly it irks me to no end that the GM of the 1 team in this state that can actually compete for free agents understands the concept of building a solid organization better than the GM of the team that has no hope of competing for marquee free agents.

Thankfully Estrada has worked out wonderfully, you know the guy the team basically accused of faking an injury last year, or this team would have been in a world of hurt. He's pitched well enough that Greinke will only be a slight upgrade over him when he returns, not to mention the bullpen hasn't had to eat significant innings because of him, and so on.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

DM's moves overall were pretty good this offseason. I think the Saito signing was pretty good despite how it looks right now. Didn't cost us much even if he sdoesn't work out. Where DM really messed up was the bench and SS this year. Kotsay and Almonte are a wreck. We have only one back up middle infielder and he really shouldn't play more than 2 times a week. We have quite a few good arms so the pen shouldn't be an issue.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Nearly four minutes with Zack Greinke in a one-on-one post-game locker room video interview:

Nice job by the interviewer (we're efforting on learning just who that was), and Zack was responsive and only seemed slightly put-off at the tediousness of things. Greinke is such a fascinating study, on and off the mound.

Greinke looks good, takes loss as Nashville Sounds fall 4-1 to Albuquerque
by Greg Sullivan, The Tennessean

Even after taking the loss Friday night against Albuquerque, Zack Greinke pitched well enough that the Sounds probably would like to keep the Brewers right-hander around a little longer as he continues to regain his Cy Young form.

With a fastball away that clocked 91 mph, Greinke blew a pitch past a swinging Jay Gibbons, a fellow big leaguer on rehab assignment, for his seventh strikeout, looking as good as he had all night on his final pitch of what turned out to be a 4-1 loss to the Isotopes at Greer Stadium.

"I could have gone a couple more innings," Greinke said. "I'm pretty sure I've faced (Gibbons) a couple times in Baltimore, but it's been a while, though."

With seven strikeouts in his five-inning, 75-pitch outing, Greinke displayed better command Friday compared to a short outing Sunday, when struggled with control and allowed long at-bats.

"I got a little tired the time before, probably just throwing too much," Greinke said. "So I tried to pitch like a starter and be a little smarter, and it felt better."

He gave up a two-run home run to Jamie Hoffman in the fourth inning, but otherwise proved to be overpowering for Triple-A Albuquerque.

Greinke succeeded at keeping his pitch count down, as he threw 50 of his 75 pitches for strikes.

"I was throwing all my pitches for strikes with decent movement on them," Greinke said. "I felt comfortable out there, and it felt good.

"It was a pretty decent pitch the guy hit the home run on, so I'm OK with that. It was pretty much where I wanted it."

Greinke swung the bat well, himself. He hit a double in the third inning off Alberto Bastardo.

"I was pretty lucky, for the most part," Greinke said. "I got some pitches to hit last time and the time before that, but I got lucky."

Now Greinke will just have to wait to see whether his superiors are ready for him to be promoted to Milwaukee. It could be as soon as Wednesday against the Atlanta Braves.

"We'll see," he said. "I've got to talk to the bosses, but hopefully."

Music City Brewers: In just their first 21 games, the Sounds already have more players on major league rehab assignments spend time on their roster this season than they have had since 1998, their first season in the Pacific Coast League.

With rehab visits in recent games by Greinke, Takashi Saito and Nyjer Morgan, who is rehabbing a deep thigh bruise, the Sounds have hosted six Brewers on rehab assignments this season.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Interesting interview, as always with emo kid.

It's funny, you can tell he'd rather be doing absolutely anything else, but he still gives straightforward, honest answers. He doesn't just give the stock baseball cliche answers, he gets in depth with his responses.

I do think the interviewer ran a little long though. Some of the questions were just rehashes of previous questions asked in a different way.

I really hope they just call up Greinke and have him start Wednesday. I don't see the point in having him go one more rehab start at this point.

In the post game after Estrada's last start Roenicke said he was getting one more. I'm pretty excited to see Zack, but I wouldn't be too upset if they had him throw one more in Nashiville just to stretch out a little more. Zack has mentioned being tired, so it couldn't hurt to build up his stamina a little, plus Estrada is throwing very well.

Estrada is still Estrada and I say this as one of his biggest backers. His ceiling is a #3 since as a RH flyball pitcher who throws high 80s low 90s with OK strike out numbers he just is limited. Greinke is one of the top 10 pitchers in the league.

For selfish reasons, I hope he doesn't pitch Wednesday because that's the game I planned on going to but my brother had to bail. So now I'm probably going Tuesday. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

It's funny, you can tell he'd rather be doing absolutely anything else, but he still gives straightforward, honest answers. He doesn't just give the stock baseball cliche answers, he gets in depth with his responses.

Yeah, Zack is definitely a good interview, which is really cool considering that this kind of thing is probably really frustrating or annoying to him. He seems to be very fair about interviews, and I actually like his approach to them -- only doing them on the days he pitches, but giving really thoughtful & insightful responses when it *is* time to give the interviews.

"Have to talk to the bosses... we'll see." -- that response made me chuckle (about whether he could pitch next Weds.)

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Tom H just reported than Zake will make his Brewer debut on Wednesday in Atlanta.
This is really exciting. I guess the bosses think he his arm strength is sufficient. Things are starting to come together.

It's to bad about Saito, but hopefully he can come back relatively well rested and give our bullpen some help. Injuries were to be expected with him, and 1.5 months isn't tooo long.

I'm so pumped to see Greinke pitch his first home game on May 9. It's gonna be electric in Miller Park. At least within the next week we'll have everyone back except Saito. Morgan's coming back May 3, and Roenicke said Parra is just about ready as well.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Haudricourt

The talk of the Brewers' clubhouse this morning is Zack Greinke, who just buzzed off all his hair. The transformation is quite stunning.

I definitely look forward to seeing this

I tried to log in on my iPad. Turns out it was an etch-a-sketch and I don't own an iPad. Also, I'm out of vodka.

Archived