Brewer Fanatic

Brewers Injury News 2011

Jofis11ep
  • Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply
and the Counsell legend grows! So I saw that Morgan is going to be playing 3 games in Nashville to warm up, which seems excessive to me. It's not like we have guys on the bench up here tearing the cover off the ball. Give him a game, see how his thigh responds and then activate him!
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

Saito's first rehab appearance:

Albuquerque Top of the 7th
  • Pitcher Change: Takashi Saito replaces Amaury Rivas, batting 9th.
  • Trent Oeltjen singles on a ground ball to right fielder Jeremy Reed.
  • With A. J. Ellis batting, Trent Oeltjen caught stealing 2nd base, catcher George Kottaras to second baseman Eric Farris.
  • A. J. Ellis called out on strikes.
  • Nashville Sounds pitcher Takashi Saito left the game due to an injured leg.
  • Pitcher Change: Manny Parra replaces Takashi Saito, batting 9th.
  • Justin Sellers strikes out swinging.

Uh oh.

One has to presume his left hamstring strain bothered him again although Saito was cleared to pitch after two simulated sessions.

That's the direct quote... I assume you're correct, but all TH provided was speculation.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Brewer Fanatic Staff

From Greg Sullivan of the Tennessean --

Takashi Saito threw only two-thirds of an inning in his rehab outing with the Sounds on Thursday night before he was pulled following a trainer's visit to the mound.

Saito, a Japanese veteran who was the Atlanta Braves' set-up man last season, appeared to injure his leg.

"He said he felt a twinge," Sounds Manager Don Money said. "If a guy says he feels something, that's it. We're not going to make him stay out there. We'll know more (today)."

Saito entered Thursday's game on the 15-day disabled list with a left hamstring strain and was scheduled to pitch in only one rehab outing before rejoining Milwaukee.

Before his outing was cut short during the seventh inning, Saito displayed a good mix of pitches. He threw 12 pitches, including seven strikes, on throws that ranged from 74 to 89 mph.

He gave up a soft single to former Sound Trent Oeltjen, the first batter he faced, but Oeltjen was thrown out trying to steal second. Saito then struck out A.J. Ellis before the injury.

That's just wonderful. Now he'll probably be out two months, like Hart was. See ya in July Saito. Worst part about this is actually that Green will get to keep his roster spot. We'll send out Kintzler when Morgan comes back, Estrada when Greinke comes back, and Stetter when Parra comes back. All we can hope is that we keep Estrada as a long-man in the pen, and get rid of Green.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

On the bright side, we only wasted $1.75 million this time. Also, we at least have Loe doing well as our setup man now, and Hawkins is looking pretty good too. I think we'll be fine without him, but I'd rather see Kintzler get an extended look than keep Green on the roster.

How do you not keep Kintzler or Estrada up over Green? The guy is a joke. Heck, DiFelice could easily outperform Green
Not saying I would do it. I just think that's what is gonna happen. I really hope we at least keep Estrada up as a long-man or something. That's all we can hope for now.

That's just wonderful. Now he'll probably be out two months, like Hart was. See ya in July Saito. Worst part about this is actually that Green will get to keep his roster spot. We'll send out Kintzler when Morgan comes back, Estrada when Greinke comes back, and Stetter when Parra comes back. All we can hope is that we keep Estrada as a long-man in the pen, and get rid of Green.

Why does everyone just assume Parra comes back? He's made 6 rehab appearances. If they really wanted him back, wouldn't he be back by now? My guess is he's mostly insurance but that the policy runs out pretty soon and it's between he and Green for one roster spot. Parra is notoriously poor vs left handed hitters. He's not the guy you want replacing Stetter in that role. I wouldn't assume they'd hold on to Green either rather than Estrada.

How do you not keep Kintzler or Estrada up over Green? The guy is a joke. Heck, DiFelice could easily outperform Green
Not saying I would do it. I just think that's what is gonna happen. I really hope we at least keep Estrada up as a long-man or something. That's all we can hope for now.
Agreed. I was speaking in general terms, as in "how could the Brewers want to keep Green over any of the other options?"

I'm failing to see how a guy on a one-year deal for $1.75 million should be considered a bust when we're not even out of April yet. The reason why Saito was so cheap is because he's prone to nagging injuries like this. There's a reason why he hasn't pitched in more than 60 games since 2007.

Like I said in the thread about the initial injury, this isn't even close to being the same situation as injuries to Riske or Hawkins were. Those two were being depended on to be major factors in the bullpen. When they went down or were ineffective, the bullpen looked a lot worse. Saito is just a really nice, really cheap piece to have around when he's healthy. The bullpen has been and will be fine without him.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Why does everyone just assume Parra comes back? He's made 6 rehab appearances. If they really wanted him back, wouldn't he be back by now? My guess is he's mostly insurance but that the policy runs out pretty soon and it's between he and Green for one roster spot. Parra is notoriously poor vs left handed hitters. He's not the guy you want replacing Stetter in that role. I wouldn't assume they'd hold on to Green either rather than Estrada.

We rarely use Stetter as it is. Braddock usually fills whole innings, but could fill a loggy role when needed. Then Parra would take Braddock's role. I'd much rather have Parra than Green. I don't think Stetter is any good either, so I'd take Parra over him also.

Archived