Brewer Fanatic

Brewers Injury News 2011

Jofis11ep
  • Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Rodgers isn't even on the major league radar imo. When you walk almost 6 guys per 9 innings in the minors it shows you are not anywhere close to ready to pitch in the majors. He is a guy we bring up if we fall out of contention just to see what he has.

That's painting Rogers with far too broad a brush. 2010 was his first ever professional season over 100 IP. Does his command need work? Yes. Did he flash the ability to harness his stuff in his September callup last season? Absolutely. To say that he's not even on the major league radar is absurd.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Rodgers isn't even on the major league radar imo. When you walk almost 6 guys per 9 innings in the minors it shows you are not anywhere close to ready to pitch in the majors. He is a guy we bring up if we fall out of contention just to see what he has.
Plus the Brewers organization was dictating what pitches he had to throw (more change ups, less sliders) over the course of last season. When he came up to the majors last year he was able to throw what he wanted, and his control was far better.

Is Manny Parra in line to be the #6 (or first reserve) starter once his conditioning is up enough?
I tried to log in on my iPad. Turns out it was an etch-a-sketch and I don't own an iPad. Also, I'm out of vodka.

That's painting Rogers with far too broad a brush. 2010 was his first ever professional season over 100 IP. Does his command need work? Yes. Did he flash the ability to harness his stuff in his September callup last season? Absolutely. To say that he's not even on the major league radar is absurd.

Right now I don't think management is even vaguely considering bringing Rogers up. He would have to pitch his way into the picture this season in the minors and there are other pitchers who could be brought up before him pretty easily like Peralta. They certainly aren't going to rush to get him on the major league roster as soon as he is healthy and I highly doubt they are counting on him for major league innings right now. I think his most likely path to the majors is the team giving up on him as a starter because they don't think he can stay healthy and finding his way into the bullpen due to injuries. I don't find it absurd at all.

Rogers would likely have been the 5th starter to begin the year if it wasn't for the fact that tightness in his shoulder slowed down his progression this spring. Everything I'd heard from team management seems to have backed that idea up. I believe that if any of the Brewers starters were to go down long term in a month or two, Rogers is the guy we will see filling that rotation spot. He clearly has the potential to be an above average starter.

I disagree entirely that he is more likely to be looked upon as a reliever rather than a starter. He'll only be a reliever if he first fails at a major league starting gig.

I'm not saying he will become a reliever because of how he pitches, he might become one because he hasn't shown the ability to stay healthy as a starter. That is generally what happens to starters who can't seem to stay healthy. The team would like him to become an option I'm sure, just like they were hoping Peralta would step up and claim the 5th starter role but it didn't happen. Peralta struggled and Rogers got hurt, there is no proof he would have been the 5th starter if healthy, he would have had to earn it.

This is the quote I responded to.

What about the forgotten man, Mark Rogers? Do we expect him to spend an extended period in the minors or move up to Milwaukee as soon as he shows he's healthy?
]

To answer it a different way that doesn't get people into a big huff I don't think there are any plans to move him up to the majors right now unless there are injuries and he pitches well in the minors first.

Ennder, I think you're absolutely right. There's no reason to think that Rogers is in this year's plans. The Brewers don't even need to bring Rogers up. The bullpen as a whole is pitching really well and the only starter who makes sense to demote is Estrada. When Greinke, Hawkins, and Parra all come back it will be a tough decision deciding who to send down/cut loose. We're not short on quality arms (yet...)

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/119722294.html

More good news. Hart should be back April 22, and Greinke sometime in the last week of April.

I don't know why, but this made me think of that scene in The Simpsons where Moe tells Homer he can flash fry a whole buffalo in twelve minutes..."Twelve minutes??? But I want it now!"

I'm pumped they're coming back; every day Mark Kotsay is in the lineup feels like an eternity.

Question for someone who's better at determining future starters than I am:

Does yesterday's rainout have any bearing on the staff going forward... i.e. does this mean that Estrada will not be needed?

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

No, he'll still have to start on the 17th and 26th most likely. I would guess Greinke is lined up to start April 29th or 30th, and not the 26th.
I'm hoping he can start on the 26th or 27th, since those are home games and I want to go.

It's highly unlikely, because the earliest he will make a rehab start is probably Monday. He needs to throw another simulated game on Friday, then a couple days off. So that gives him starts on April 18 and 23. Since there is an off day on April 28, I'd say April 29 is the day they are targeting.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Nope, Estrada will still need to pitch Saturday or Sunday. Everyone just moves back a day, but as long as we need 5 starters in a row, then we need Estrada. That is still the case. He might just move back a day.
Makes sense. If I'm calculating right (I'm not very good at this), the rainout may make Yo pitch twice in a row on 5-days rest. He pitched Sunday the 10th, and if Marcum, Wolf, Narveson take today, tomorrow and Friday, Yo will pitch again on Saturday the 16th. Then we have Estrada, Marcum, Wolf, Narveson and an off day, making Yo's next start on Friday the 22nd. I hope that doesn't throw him off his game.

I'm hoping he can start on the 26th or 27th, since those are home games and I want to go.

It's highly unlikely, because the earliest he will make a rehab start is probably Monday. He needs to throw another simulated game on Friday, then a couple days off. So that gives him starts on April 18 and 23. Since there is an off day on April 28, I'd say April 29 is the day they are targeting.

It would be nice if Greinke could start on April 26. If not, we have two more Estrada starts (17th & 26th). More importantly, if he starts the 29th, that would have Marcum, Wolf & Narveson going a full week between starts. I want to see him ASAP, but it could cause problems if 3/5 of your rotation has six off days between starts. I'm certainly not an expert on this, but I think teams like to keep players on as routine a schedule as possible, and a full week between starts could be a stretch. I guess it would be possible to start Yo & Marcum on three days rest on the 26th & 27th, and then throw Grienke in on the 29th. Would that be a better option, or even something the Brewers would consider doing this early in the season?

The rainout yesterday did seem to screw up the rotation. Without it, Greinke could've fit into the 29th without a hitch. That's probably what they were planning on when they started his rehab. There are rainouts all the time and teams deal with it, so I'm sure I've made more of a deal out of it than it deserves. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I just don't see Greinke being ready by the 26th. He would need to pitch in a game by Saturday, and seeing as he's throwing a simulated game Friday, that won't happen. I think what might happen is he will just be held back until May 3rd. That was he can get 3 starts in the minors (April 18,23,28) and not mess up the rotation. He'll just slot right into the 5th spot on May 3rd.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

You're probably right. As I mentioned, I think the Brewers originally set his rehab schedule to have him go on the 29th or 30th, but last night's rainout threw off the schedule. Now they're in the predicament of having a healthy Greinke throwing in the minor leagues vs. throwing off the MLB rotation to get Greinke back ASAP.

~Bill Walsh

Archived