Brewer Fanatic

Brewers Injury News 2011

Jofis11ep

I was wondering if anyone has heard/seen any updates on the injuries to Greinke, Hart, Luccroy, Parra, Hawkins. I saw a couple of days ago that Hart and Greinke weren't rehabbing as they would like and may have to be pushed back. Also that Luccroy was about to start in AA before returning shortly. I haven't heard anything about Parra or Hawkins. I didn't see much detail.

This season has obviously been frustrating so far, but I would like to see how this team looks when it is fully healthy. Does anyone have an idea of when that might be?

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Lucroy is down at Brevard County right now, then he is going to play with Huntsville this weekend I believe. Hopefully, he'll be back next week. Haven't heard much about the other guys, except that Greinke is taking it slow on his throwing program, but will throw off a mound this week. Also, Hart isn't comfortable enough to play in a game yet.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

McCalvy has an article on this:

Hart can't go 100% and there are rumors of "mental hurdles" as well as physical ones. Better news on Lucroy, who as PEM mentioned is playing in the minors, and Grienke, who will throw off a mound soon. They'll have better timetable on Grienke once they've seen him throw off the mound.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Yeah, Lucroy really can't get back soon enough. It's really hard watching Kottaras and Nieves sometimes, each provide what the other lacks. Lucroy isn't going to be a world beater or anything, but he's probably the best all around catcher we have.

Hmm. Wonder what those "mental hurdles" are for Hart. Hopefully, it's more or less him being worried that as soon as he exerts himself, he'll aggravate the injury. I can understand that, if that's the case, and just hope he overcomes whatever it is soon.

Parra is throwing a simulated game tomorrow. If everything goes well, he'll be cleared for a rehab assignment. That's some good news. As for Hart, I think some of the mental hurdles would just involve his fear of aggravating the injury. When you get an injury like that, there is always talk out there about how easy it is to aggravate it, and I know a lot of people in the media are starting to get on him about why his recovery is taking so long. I think all that is starting to get in his head, so it's piling on. I think he'll get over it, and be fine.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I work a desk job and can't get as much exercise as I should, so I started doing mental hurdles. In fact, yesterday, I set my personal best at the 110 meter mental hurdles. Unfortunately, I didn't warm up first by thinking outside the box and I pulled a ganglia on the final sprint. Now I have to do a paradigm shift until it heals...

well played cheez.

Seriously though body trunk muscles are very tough to heal and often linger until extended rest is possible. I wouldn't be surprised if it hampers him in some way for months.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

This whole situation is getting very frustrating. Both with Hart and Greinke. Hart has now been out about 5 weeks with this, something that was supposed to be relatively minor. He's not doing anything and is nowhere near ready to come back. It seemed like everyone in the organization thought he'd be back next week and Hart's comments make it seem like it's weeks away.

Same with Greinke. The diagnosis for him was 4-6 weeks and we're into that point already and he's not even close. He'll throw off a mound a few times, then have to build up his arm. It'll be another month minimum it sounds like.

Very, very frustrating. Not to say that they're milking the injuries at all, but for both of them (and both are crucial to our success) to be out way longer than expected is just very, very annoying.

Truthfully, they shouldn't even give timetables for these kinds of injuries. There's really no way of knowing how long either could take to heal. Any injury in that area can be tough, and take a long time to recover from. I never thought it would be as quick as they said for either guy. Just hoping that when both return that they are completely healthy, and stay healthy.

Greinke was goign to miss at least 2 starts. Those two starts were today and like the 16th. So not sure why people are panicking just yet on that.
Technically, he's already missed two starts; he would have started the Gallardo games. The dates you are talking about are days they will have to use their fifth starter. Even if he only pitched every fifth game (as opposed to every fifth day) he'll miss 6 starts if he doesn't pitch in April.

Exactly - it's not like Greinke was going to be our #5 starter - had Greinke been able to start opening day, the Brewers could have started him 6-7 times in April (7's ambitious, but 6 was very doable). Some posters have tried to downplay his absence to start the season by mentioning how little the Brewers need their #5 early on, but to me that's the wrong way to look at it. Not only is he missing around 6 games in April that he would have pitched, but Greinke's absence also limits the # of early season extra days' rest for Wolf, Marcum, Narveson, and to a lesser extent Gallardo so they can minimize the # of starts guys like Estrada or Mitre have to make. It puts a strain on the entire pitching staff.

I'm hoping Greinke doesn't have any more setbacks and can get his arm into good enough condition to make a start in late April in Milwaukee - seems like he's actually been a little ahead of the most recent timetable given by the training staff.

Ya I don't think anyone is milking anything. In fact, I'd say ZG is trying to get back as soon as possible and the training staff is holding him back. Heck he tried to pitch with the cracked rib! As for Hart, those muscle, tendon injuries are tricky. For him to play at a major league level he needs to have 100% confidence in his body. If he doesn't he will start letting up and that will result in terrible play. I think he's just really worried about making it worse and then being out even longer. I really hope he takes his time and gets completely healthy before trying to come back. I'd rather have him miss April and part of May then April through June or something crazy. All that being said, after he got hurt, my first thought was, I hope this doesn't screw him up mentally for when he comes back! He seems to get down in the dumps pretty fast at times.

From McCalvy's recent article:

Greinke still faces weeks of rehabilitation. He will have to throw a series of bullpen sessions and perhaps simulated games before he's cleared for a Minor League rehab assignment. That process could take 10 days to two weeks. Then he will have to build his pitch count in Minor League games over the course of another three or four weeks.

So, if I'm reading that correctly, he will be out another 5-6 weeks, putting him back in the rotation late May. I think the Brewers have the right to tell his teammates that if they ever see him pick up a basketball, they can kick him in the butt.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I was hoping for each by May 1. Mother's Day would still be ok. I'd prefer each guy waits more time up front rather then rush back. So long as the 'Crew is not 12 games back by then; all good. Well; all ok...

This most recent news has to be taken as good news, right? I wasn't expecting Greinke back until mid-May at this point. So, to sum up the article, it seems like we should expect:

Greinke: Late April/Early May

Lucroy: April 15?

Parra: April 15?

Hart: Late April/Early May?

Just three more weeks...just three more weeks...I feel like I'm waiting for Santa.

Looking like Lucroy will be back on April 12 now. That would be pretty sweet. I'd have to think that Parra and Hawkins aren't too far off either. Maybe Hawkins will come back after Estrada makes the start on April 16. Seems like Greinke could make it back for the April 26 start now. He might only get 2 starts before that, so he could be at a 75-80 pitch count, but that's fine. Parra could come back around the same time as Hawkins. Hopefully Hart goes on his rehab assignment next week and is back by April 18-22, and then we are good to go.

Archived