Brewer Fanatic

Brandon Beachy

paul253
I was relatively impressed with him today. But I bring him up because the rumor last season was that Melvin would not trade Lorenzo Cain for him. I have two questions. Even though it's only been one start, now that we have seen him pitch against a major league team, if you could go back in time and make the trade Cain for Beachy would you do it? And the second question....if Melvin did make that trade, is their any way Greinke is in Milwaukee right now?

No and no. Not saying that Cain made that trade in any way, I just think that Melvin would've just decided to keep Escobar and Jeffress if he had Beachy and Marcum already. I'd rather have Greinke than Beachy, so no I wouldn't do the Cain for Beachy trade.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

The Brewers seem to regularily make an inexperienced pitcher look great, but Beachy is a very legit young pitcher. He had a 1.73 ERA and a 1.014 WHIP in 35 games in the minors in 2010

Yes I would have traded Cain for Beachy, absolutely. And I still would have gone after Greinke. Hard to believe that not being able to include Cain in the Greinke deal would be a deal-breaker, but maybe

The Brewers seem to regularily make an inexperienced pitcher look great, but Beachy is a very legit young pitcher. He had a 1.73 ERA and a 1.014 WHIP in 35 games in the minors in 2010

Yes I would have traded Cain for Beachy, absolutely. And I still would have gone after Greinke. Hard to believe that not being able to include Cain in the Greinke deal would be a deal-breaker, but maybe

I doubt it would've been a deal-breaker in the Greinke trade, I just feel that Doug wouldn't've made that trade when he already would have Beachy and Marcum in that situation. I would've still done it for sure, but I doubt he would've/.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Beachy looked good today, but I wonder what the Brewer all time record is facing rookies the first time they've seen them. Going back several years, they have always struggled in this situation, which is why I fully expect Minor to shut them down on Wednesday.

an amazing point about Beachy is that he was NOT drafted....he signed with the Braves as a non-drafted free agent....

just another example of the importance of scouting....AND player development

I wouldn't believe a thing you hear about trades in the media because we never get the full picture. It is like the people who believe we pushed Cruz for Mench even though there is really no proof of it. Even when the GM comes out and says something half the time it isn't really the truth, it is just to appease the fans like I imagine the Betancourt thing was.

Beachy is exactly the type of pitcher we should go after in a trade. The Braves have him for what? 5-6 years?

Narveson sure looked sharp today, it was good to see that

Exactly. So last year they passed on Daniel Hudson and Beachy? Just think if they had a rotation of Hudson, Beachy, Gallardo, Wolf and Narveson, and still had Escobar and Lawrie? Sure they would have had to find someone to replace Fielder but Dunn was out there among others.

Narveson is a good pitcher who's just now reaching his potential.

Beachy only looked good because he was facing a bad hitting team. I would not have made the trade.
Yeah, a Top 10 prospect in one of baseball's deepest farm systems and the guy rated as having the best control in the system is a total bum. Come on. It was a frustrating day, but the only mistake Beachy made all day was to Weeks.

As for the Cain-for-Beachy rumor, it's hard to tell just how much validity there was to it. It was a Winter Meetings rumor, and those tend to get blown out of proportion. I'd personally rather have Greinke, anyway.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Beachy did NOT have his best stuff per one of the Braves beat writer's (Dave O'Brien)....love the late movement in all three of his pitches

the Braves have the ammo to trade Lowe or Jurrjens at the trade deadline for a righthanded bat (CF) ..... 20 year old RHP Julio Teheran (BA's top pitching prospect) is starting the season in AAA & Minor will join him after Wednesday's start....and they have two more Dominican pitching prospects that are rated higher than Beachy on the short track to Atlanta....and Medlen is expected back from TJ surgery after the all-start break

agree with Johnny Briggs' statement above....plus it would of kept more $$$$$ in the bank to go out & buy a bat to fill the lineup

Yeah I have top agree a rotation of Gallardo, Beachy, and Hudson would look pretty good. I think Corey Hart or Mat Gamel would be playing first base right now, with the other in right. Lawrie and Jeffress would be in Nashville, Odorizzi in BC. I don't think the team would be as good as they are going to be this season, but they'd be set up for more success long term. Oh well, I am happy with the way things turned out and hopefully things go right in the next two drafts and we get 5 high ceiling prospects with the first round picks we could have in the drafts.

If the offer was just Cain for Beachy, I would have done it in a second. Beachy was a BEAST in the minors. The worst K/BB he had in 3 seasons was 3.37.

If this could have happened, I'm incredibly disappointed in Melvin.

Atlanta has a ton of premium pitching prospects, and if I recall they were really looking for outfield help last season. They were going after Hart pretty hard if I remember correctly. Obviously we will never know for sure with Melvin confirming it, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if that offer was on the table. That would have been a very simple move to upgrade the rotation, especially with all the other CF prospects we have in the system.

Going all the way back to his days in Texas, it just seems like Melvin does not have an eye for young pitching. It's one thing to get former Cy Young winners and #1 pitchers like Sabathia, Greinke, and Marcum. It's something else to be able to draft and trade for young prospects you have to project. If he did indeed turn down offers for Hudson and Beachy, it really makes me wonder how capable he is ever going to be at building a team that has more of a year or two window of success.

I follow the Braves very closely & they loved Cain but Melvin insisted on Minor, who the Braves didn't want to part with.... I have no idea if Beachy was ever mentioned in a counter offer

Except Melvin brought in 3 young pitcher to Milwaukee in
Capuano, Bush and Davis. And he's the one who pushed to draft Gallardo.

Those three were serviceable pitchers. Hardly the type of pitchers I would consider building a team around, though it would be nice to see how Capuano would have turned out if he wasn't injured. Melvin did bring in some prospects in trades though. Zack Jackson, Jose Cappellan, and Jorge De La Rosa. All three of them were swings and misses for the Brewers. Quite honestly, if the best we can come up with for young pitchers to build the team around are Capuano, Davis and Bush, doesn't that kind of prove my point? I do have hope for some of the guys we have now like Peralta, Scarpetta, and Rogers, and Odorizzi looks to be a pretty good pitcher, but until they prove in in the majors you can't really call them successes yet.

Archived