Brewer Fanatic

Nyjer Take Over!

When it comes to lineup decisions, and particularly deciding who to play, how much is that decision made by the manager vs the general manager? Because I do suspect Melvin can be perhaps a bit stubborn at times, trying to prove that his trades / signings can be successful, taking too long to give up on poorly performing players. I can't imagine myself being a new manager, wanting to get my first victory behind me, and continuing to trot some of these guys out there who look so downright ugly at the plate. Particulary when this manager has no history with these players.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
When it comes to lineup decisions, and particularly deciding who to play, how much is that decision made by the manager vs the general manager? Because I do suspect Melvin can be perhaps a bit stubborn at times, trying to prove that his trades / signings can be successful, taking too long to give up on poorly performing players. I can't imagine myself being a new manager, wanting to get my first victory behind me, and continuing to trot some of these guys out there who look so downright ugly at the plate. Particulary when this manager has no history with these players.

Melvin is very hands off when it comes to playing time and he also seems to let the manager pick the last few players for the bench. So its Roenike who want Kotsay in RF, Gomez batting 2nd and Nieves behind the plate.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I wouldn't have a problem with Gomez over Morgan if there were some justification for it.

I wouldn't have a problem with Nieves over Kottaras, if the decision makers felt his defense was necessary.

I wouldn't have a problem with Betencourt, in and of itself.

But when you have FOUR guys in your everyday lineup who are likely to OBP less than .300, you have to make some better decisions about trading off offense for defense. I know it's only 4 games, but it's clear as a bell for anyone to see that this team is scuffling to score other than hitting homeruns right now.

I know that roughly 65% of all homers are solo shots, I won't bring that old, tired argument up. But we're seeing even a lesser chance of having men on base for the big flys when Gomez, Betencourt, Kotsay, and Nieves are all making outs at a staggering pace. Something needs to change.

Gomez has had WAY too many chances to prove he can turn it around. He hasn't. He won't. He can't. I swear to God, if I see one more person say "THIS is the year he finally makes use of all that athletic ability and busts out!" I'm gonna scream. He's had almost 1,500 PA's to prove his approach at the plate doesn't work at the big league level. Maybe he was rushed, and that's too bad, but there's no turning back the clock. He's not going to 'get it', and suddenly start showing better discipline and taking walks and not swinging for the fences. It's time for this joke of an experiment to end.

You don't go 'all in' by getting a couple of stud pitchers and then surround them with a half a lineup worth of absolute crap.

"You don't go 'all in' by getting a couple of stud pitchers and then surround them with a half a lineup worth of absolute crap."

You don't go all in by trading for two year contracts either, there is nothing all in about the Brewers. But yeah, this was all so obvious before the season that it upsets me a bit that they didn't figure this out. The best roster we can field doesn't include Kotsay on it at all and most likely doesn't include Betancourt either. Hopefully the Mariners start off slow and we can trade some peanuts for Jack Wilson or something.

With Morgan in there and Hart and Lucroy back, my lineup would look like this:

Morgan

Hart

Braun

Fielder

Weeks

McGehee

Betancourt

Lucroy

Pitcher

I do agree it's too early to give up on Gomez. He's not the main reason the team is 0-4. I would play Morgan some, but Gomez has to have 150 or so AB's to get a true test.

I do agree it's too early to give up on Gomez. He's not the main reason the team is 0-4. I would play Morgan some, but Gomez has to have 150 or so AB's to get a true test.
I know you have been ringing the Gomez bell all through spring training, but why are "150 or so AB's" in 2011 a "true test" but the 1300 ABs he's had prior to this year not a true test?

The guy has been a terrible hitter for four years. There is no reason to believe he will magically turn it around this year. The same goes for Betancourt. He is what he is. They are what they are. Expecting anything else is blind faith, and while that is fine for fans, it is not a good way to run a baseball team.

Seems pretty obvious, doesn't it? I can't figure Roenicke out. On the one hand, he opts for veteran grit in Kotsay & Nieves. On the other hand, he sticks with Gomez's potential over Morgan's proven (veteran/gritty) production.

Morgan/Weeks comprising the #s 1 & 2 spots in either order sounds really good to me. It's been really tough having that out-machine in between Rickie & the middle of the lineup.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

There is no way you put Weeks after Braun and Fielder. Keep Weeks, his baserunning ability, and OBP in front of those guys. Hart is fast, but still doesn't have the OBP to bat 1st or 2nd if you're moving Weeks down to 5. Plus Weeks looks like one of the Brewers best hitters now, I want him getting as many ABs as possible.

Seems pretty obvious, doesn't it? I can't figure Roenicke out. On the one hand, he opts for veteran grit in Kotsay & Nieves. On the other hand, he sticks with Gomez's potential over Morgan's proven (veteran/gritty) production.

Morgan/Weeks comprising the #s 1 & 2 spots in either order sounds really good to me. It's been really tough having that out-machine in between Rickie & the middle of the lineup.

Nyjer Morgan profiles exactly to "Running Ron's" aggressive base running mentality. Morgan tries to get on base any way possible, not hit home runs. We can't be Running Ron's team with the (pun fully intended) "Warning Track Power" of Gomez failing to get on base.

It's been really tough having that out-machine in between Rickie & the middle of the lineup.

I like that nickname but I can't figure out if it should be the nickname of Gomez, Betancourt, Nieves or Kotsay. I guess Betancourt at least has the possibility of hitting .270 or so, and Nieves and Kotsay ought to be relegated to limited duty (or off the team) soon, so there it is... Carlos "The Out Machine" Gomez, turning PAs into outs 75% of the time.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

There is no way you put Weeks after Braun and Fielder.

Agreed. I can see dropping him to 2nd to maximize his slugging (assuming you have someone with good OBP for leadoff), but no way do you drop him below Braun and Fielder.

High OBP followed by High SLG.

Morgan can't hit either. No major projection system has him with over a .700 OPS for 2011. He gets on base more than Gomez but has no power. That said, there's really no excuse not to platoon Gomez and Morgan.

Right now before Hart comes back I can't say Morgan over Gomez is a good idea. I would give Gomez until Hart comes back then platoon him no matter how he does. At least Gomez brings good defense. Can't say Reed or Kotsay bring anything right now.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Right now before Hart comes back I can't say Morgan over Gomez is a good idea. I would give Gomez until Hart comes back then platoon him no matter how he does. At least Gomez brings good defense. Can't say Reed or Kotsay bring anything right now.
Your 2011 Milwaukee Brewers bench includes Jeremy Reed, Mark Kotsay and Wil Nieves, 3 players who can't hit, field or run. Awesome.

Gomez is equally terrible against both types of pitchers, Morgan is ok against RHP and terrible against LHP. Seems like a natural platoon to me.

Yeah eventually but right now I think we need Morgan in RF.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I'd probably stick with Gomez until Hart comes back...that should give him the full month, but I'd go with Morgan in the leadoff spot and drop Gomez to 7th or 9th behind the pitcher. Drop Rickie back to 2nd.

Kotsay should be released or at least not started. I wouldn't mind seeing more Counsell over Betancourt until they hopefully find another replacement. If they can get Felipe Lopez for a bag of balls, they have to be able to replace Betancourt too.

I think Betancourt will be the starting SS for a while. I'd rather that not be the case, but I think he'll be starting until at least around the trade deadline, barring injury. However, Roenicke has to be blind not to see that Morgan / Almonte should be platooning in RF over Kotsay until Hart's back, and Morgan / Gomez should platoon in CF after that.

The fact that the state of our "bad" players is so pathetic that we're pleading for more of Nyjer Morgan, Craig Counsell, George Kottaras and Eric Almonte has me worried about any playoff hopes. Hart and Lucroy can't get healthy fast enough. When they're healthy, if Nieves and Reed are gone, Morgan/Gomez platoon and Kotsay only sees PH duties, then I think our offense will be vastly improved from it's current state. Of course, that's assuming we get the 2010 Hart, and not the 2009 version, and Lucroy improves over last year's offensive production.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Gomez is equally terrible against both types of pitchers, Morgan is ok against RHP and terrible against LHP. Seems like a natural platoon to me.

Is Morgan's arm strong enough for RF (I don't have any idea, I've just heard his arm is a bit weak)?

Verified Member

Is Morgan's arm strong enough for RF (I don't have any idea, I've just heard his arm is a bit weak)?

He does have a weak arm. As far as skillsets go, I'd want Morgan in left, Gomez in center and Braun in right. Braun has such terrible instincts though that a switch to an unfamiliar perspective could have disastrous results, and with Hart coming back relatively soon it doesn't make much sense. Not sure why we wouldn't put Gomez in right though and have Morgan play center.

I was thinking the same for Gomez and Morgan.

Also, how long dot he Brewers have Morgan under team control? He has 2.12 years of service time, according to Cots, but he is 31 this year, and for I think there may be something about overage players reaching free agency before six years of service, or something along those lines. If there isn't, the Crew should have him through 2014, and if that's the case, why not just let the guy start in center, or at least platoon him?

I'd like to see a CounsenKourt platoon as well. Perhaps if Counsell can't hold up for 100 starts they could just give him 80 starts against righties.

Archived