Brewer Fanatic

2011-04-04 Braves (Beachy) at Brewers (Narveson) - [Brewers lose, 2-1, remain winless]

Right now we are really, really bad. That should change. But we can't wait until Greinke and Hart come back to play better. We are not doing anything particularly well over these 4 games. It is as if we weren't ready for the season to start. With this line-up hitters #2, #6, #7, and #8 have to think about extending innings and turning the line-up over. They need to work counts and draw walks. Coach Roenicke it is time to quit the just happy to be here routine and get these guys to respond to their roles. The key us to scoring a lot of runs this year are those hitters. We know in the end what Weeks, Braun, Fielder, Hart, and McGehee will do. They need some guys to get on base for them. I know I am overreacting, but I don't see any difference between this year's team and last year's team. Same low IQ, questionable effort style of play.

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He didn't do anything today, but he hit fine in the Reds series.
You have a different definition of fine than I do. A .724 OPS is not fine.

No, you just have this strange vendetta against Casey McGehee. Citing OPS for a 3-game series?

The fact of the matter is that the Brewers have seen nothing but solid pitching and haven't had enough solid ABs like Braun's in the 8th to get these guys out of their rhythm. As the zeros pile up they start pressing and trying to do nothing but hit HRs. Happens all the time.

Adam McCalvy had a good line -- Zack Greinke doesn't get hurt, Shaun Marcum doesn't walk batters, and Takashi Saito doesn't give up home runs...these are the bizarro Brewers.

It's a tough way to start the year, but also a very unusual way. There's not a lot of shame in losing 4 games to two of the NL's best teams. They'll need to beat them eventually, but this is no different than a 4-game skid in June.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

He didn't do anything today, but he hit fine in the Reds series.
You have a different definition of fine than I do. A .724 OPS is not fine.

There is no doubt in my mind that 4 hits in 12 at bats and 3 RBI over one series can be considered a "fine" series at the plate. It seems to me that you are pouring through the stats to find one indicator to criticize. And you have posted this argument in multiple threads. Sure, .724 is not a fantastic OPS to post over the course of a season but I will take 4 hits and 3 RBI in a 3 game series any time.

Adam McCalvy had a good line -- Zack Greinke doesn't get hurt, Shaun Marcum doesn't walk batters, and Takashi Saito doesn't give up home runs...these are the bizarro Brewers.

It's a tough way to start the year, but also a very unusual way. There's not a lot of shame in losing 4 games to two of the NL's best teams. They'll need to beat them eventually, but this is no different than a 4-game skid in June.

So how many games in a row do we have to lose to start the season before we end the "this is no different than a 4-game skid in June" line? 5, 6, 7, 10? A 10-game losing streak in April is no different than in June?

The fact is we're the only NL team without a win. The guys are feeling the pressure now, as well as the manager I am sure.

Ouch. This is becoming epicly frustrating. Gomez has been brutal. YuniesKy has been brutal. Kotsay is worthless.

I'm not going to go into disaster mode four games into the season. Unfortunately, the guys who have been terrible will continue to be terrible, and we know this.

How long will it take for Betancourt to be placed on the bench and Kotsay on waivers?

So how many games in a row do we have to lose to start the season before we end the "this is no different than a 4-game skid in June" line? 5, 6, 7, 10? A 10-game losing streak in April is no different than in June?

The fact is we're the only NL team without a win. The guys are feeling the pressure now, as well as the manager I am sure.

Well, losing fifth game in a row would make it different than a 4 game losing streak in june. and yes, a 10 game losing streak in april is no different than one in june. they both suck. hopefully we're not talking about that in a week though.

I know we aren't likely to go 6-0 the rest of the homestand, but a 5-1 or 4-2 mark is definitely doable when you have Yo pitching twice and Marcum once. If they can manage that, a 5-5 or 4-6 record is achieved and all things considered, is relatively respectable coming against perhaps 2 of the Top 3 teams in the NL and the biggest rival.

Keep in mind, we are only one blown Axford save and one Saito-implosion away from being 2-2. Like McCalvy said, that wasn't Saito today and that wasn't the 2010 Axford on Opening Day.

Betancourt, Nieves, Kotsay & Gomez are another story.

Community Moderator

When the Brewers go into a slide, it is important to think about whether the causes are temporary or a sign of things to come.

Injuries will be corrected. Fielder will start hitting. Saito isn't going to give up bombs. Marcum will be fine. The lineup suddenly looks better with Hart in RF, Lucroy at catcher, and Morgan as the first guy off the bench.

On the other hand, Betancourt looks like a really poor hitter. Gomez isn't going to magically learn plate discipline.

Still looks like an 85 win team to me, it just sucks to lose the first 4 instead of a random patch of 4 games later in the year. They were all against 2010 playoff teams. The main concern right now is to limit the damage and not let this thing spiral out of control.

Well it sucks to be 0-4 to start the season, but Sunday's game was really the only one they didn't have a legit chance to win. The bats need to wake up. I think the rotation and bullpen will be all right.

YB had two hits today people. And just becuase he got gassed in the last inning doesn't mean he's a terrible hitter, the two other guys looked silly too! I'm not saying he's great but we can get buy with his batting (not talking D at all) when we have Hart and Lucroy back.

Way too much complaining about our good players right now, they will come around and do what they do.

We are playing two of the favorites to make the playoffs in the NL right now. Ya, we need to win some games against these teams to be there ourselves but let's not freak out. It's a bad start, but come on, some of you are acting looking at this like it's an nfl season. THERE ARE 158 GAMES LEFT! We are 3 pitches away from being 2-2. I'm not going to join the negativity. And can the people who are complaining about effort please give me an example? I feel like that's a poor excuse to hate on people.

All that being said, this team does need to win to get some positive Mo going. But it's not going to be easy in the next few games.

5BB in 4 games.

2 of those were intentional.

Dear Brewers,

TAKE. A. PITCH.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

RR needs to do his first dose of real "managing" right now and basically state the obvious to his team. We only played 4 games so far. We haven't even gotten one week into the season, so let's start winning now and before long, nobody will even remember the 0-4 start.

The most frustrating thing about the game was the lack of RISP hitting. There were some nice productive outs moving runners, only for Nieves to strike out or someone else to not get a runner home. Narveson pitched really well. I concur about the team being in need of taking pitches and working the count. Sometimes a pitcher is pounding the zone with strikes, but it was disheartening to see Gomez, Betancourt, and Nieves swing out of their shoes when all we really needed in their spots was a guy to get on base. At this point we just kind of have to ride it out and go into survival mode until the reinforcements come.

The new scoreboard is awesome. They forgot Nyjer during intros and he doesn't have a picture for the screen yet. At least he has batting music (2Pac - All Eyez On Me). I'm guessing they really didn't have much time to change over at bat songs because all of the holdovers were pretty much the same except for Weeks. Nieves had one of Escobar's songs from last year.

"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

Community Moderator
So was anyone here actually at the game or did all of Brewerfan boycott Opening Day? I'm specifically curious about thoughts on the scoreboard, crowd, atmosphere, etc.

Archived