Brewer Fanatic

2011-04-04 Braves (Beachy) at Brewers (Narveson) - [Brewers lose, 2-1, remain winless]

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why are we sacrificing with Nieves and the pitcher coming up?
Probably because a) Nieves now doesn't need to get a base hit to drive in Yuni, and b) Morgan always has a legit shot to beat out a bunt.

I was extremely disappointed to see that sacrifice bunt, and not surprised that it turned into nothing with the catcher and pitcher coming up. Unless you need one run, or you have the pitcher at the plate, you really shouldn't sac bunt. Morgan is a much better hitter than Nieves or Narveson, and you don't want better hitters giving up outs to give worse hitters a shot at driving in the runner.

Yes. I think this board is going to hate Roenicke in time. He certainly doesn't strike me as a numbers guy, which is bad news around here. Everything has been about feel and communication so far, which is great, but it needs to be combined with sound decision making as well.

I think you're right, I already don't like the small ball he's been employing. .360 OBP guy at the plate with a runner on second? Give up that out -- you've got that ace-in-the-hole .274 guy right behind him.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

What was Ron's plan there? Did he think that Will Nieves was automatic when it came to driving the ball. That was one of the dumbest strategical decisions I have ever seen in all of my life of watching baseball. You don't bunt with the 7th hitter, period. I think that the guys who study statistics will tell you that your chances of scoring are greater with 3 attempts to score a guy from second than two attempts to score a guy from third. Finally, the guy who bunted is a far better hitter than the guys that followed him. What a terrible inning!

Archived