Brewer Fanatic

2011-04-04 Braves (Beachy) at Brewers (Narveson) - [Brewers lose, 2-1, remain winless]

I was at the game. Scoreboard looks great, but is pretty bright. I took a ton of pictures of it/random graphics. Crowd was okay, most got restless and basically bailed after Saito gave up the two home runs in the 8th inning and Fielder grounded into the double play. The general population of fans around me weren't any more or any less obnoxious than usual.
"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The scoreboard is just so....mesmerizing. Its hugeness makes you sometimes forget there's a ballgame going on. On days like today that will prove to be a good thing. It was a pitcher's duel for sure, but pretty dull at that. The, well, silence, greeting certain players for the opening intros and at each AB were freaky, however!

I was at the game and like a rookie just entering the show, was just happy to be there. After years of hearing Brewerfan posters' tales of extra rampant drunkenness, rumbles in the seats and concourses, and general obnoxiousness, I was surprised to find that the crowd around us was pretty normal. It did seem like the terrace concourse was especially active, and our friends in terrace guest relations said they had a busy day, so maybe I was just one of those dorks actually staying in my seat and watching the game. Our terrace box featured both a Jim Edmonds (signed) jersey wearer and a Mitch Stetter jersey wearer, so there was a decent degree of hard-core-dom in our immediate vicinity.

The scoreboard is a big mother, and it is really bright. In most of the photos I took of it, everything around the scoreboard looks much darker than it really was. It did fail for part of an inning - the ball/strike/out counter got stuck and the ribbon board went dark - and it looked like the wrong button got pushed on a few occasions. It displays a lot more information during at-bats, but to me did not seem as "busy" as I'd anticipated. One element I found not carried over from the old scoreboard is the scoring decision for each play (6-4-3 or HBP or The Walk Is Intentional). I missed that.

I actually like pitchers' duels, so I didn't find the game dull. The Brewers did lose much of the crowd after a while, but I expected that for the home opener. I agree with thablingster: we and the players need to ride this out until the "real" roster is more in place. Without Jonathan and Corey, it doesn't feel to me like the 2011 Brewers are really here. (I'd include Greinke in that last sentence if I truly felt like he was a Brewer yet.)

I'm simply glad we're in the fun six months of the year now. Our next game is Wednesday and I wish it were Tuesday instead.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Whoops, I meant the next game we are scheduled to attend is Wednesday's, but I wish we could go back Tuesday night already.

I forgot to add above that the Time Warner Triple Play Trivia contest did not appear today. Now I don't know how I'm going to playfully mock fans who are less consumed by Brewers minutiae than I am. Remember, without the TPT failure last April, the Diego nickname for Jim Edmonds would have never come to be. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

I HAD a nice long post typed up and as I was typing up my final sentence, Yuku ate it. I'll type it again in the morning. I'm going to bed.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

This was my 3rd opener in 5 years, it looked to me less drinking /more sobber event.I was in Field level seating, had no problems with drunks.Until one guy was let out of the drunk tank in the 8th inn show up to his seat.Heard his story for 20 minutes.

The score board is a big t.v to me. Very crisp picture. to many commericals before the game, must of been 25 minutes before the pregame introductions.

The hour before that it was standings of the MLB, and league leaders with batting pracitice as the back ground

Things to improve on the score board

post the starting line up before the game starts( 30 minutes- 60 minutes) and keep it up longer so us score keepers can write down the line ups

State what the plays are

I had to watch the game off the DVR when I got home from work. Here are my impressions (please note that there is no sabermetric analysis in this post):

1) I thought Joseph Attanasio's anthem was a bit lacking this year. He just didn't have the normal "gusto" to his singing.

2) Nice job by Rob Edwards, correcting himself several times, sometimes forgetting uniform numbers or positions, and completely forgetting Morgan. Guess he needed to go to Spring Training for a week as well.

3) I didn't get to see Thursday's game, Saturday's was on crappy WMLW-vision, and Sunday's game was an after thought to me due to other commitments. So this was the first game that I got to truly watch in HD for the year. I gotta say that I like the new graphics, especially the stat overlays and promos, etc. I can actually read them this year. Nice font on a nice background. Well done.

4) The FOX box, though, still needs some work, although it's much easier to read in HD than on WMLW.

5) Is the big advertisement thing behind the plate new/redone? It certainly looked different to me on television. It looks more "built-in" to the backstop rather than looking like it's a big box velcro-ed to the backstop.

6) Nyjer Morgan has some wheels in RF. It was so nice to see Rickie able to pull off on a blooper to let the RFer make the catch. When Hart is out there, Weeks has no choice but to try for the catch himself.

7) The sniffles late in the game started to bug me and my wife. Bill seemed to develop the sniffles during the game and forgot to use his cough button or something so every 15-20 seconds you'd hear him sniffling. We started laughing because it almost became like trying to count how many "and that's" that Doug Melvin will say in an interview.

8) What's with the blacked out advertisement on the RF wall by the bullpen? Did someone not pay their annual fee? Somebody's ad not quite ready? It looked very out-of-place on television.

9) Martin Prado's HR reminded me a lot of the Nick Stavinoha long ball vs. Hoffman last year. Just a really lucky HR overall.

10) Otherwise, yeah, the Crew is 0-4 but they'll be okay. But if they start 0-5 then the season is OVER! http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

hawing wrote:
It did fail for part of an inning - the ball/strike/out counter got stuck and the ribbon board went dark - and it looked like the wrong button got pushed on a few occasions. It displays a lot more information during at-bats, but to me did not seem as "busy" as I'd anticipated. One element I found not carried over from the old scoreboard is the scoring decision for each play (6-4-3 or HBP or The Walk Is Intentional). I missed that.
The ribbon board started "frizzing out" near home plate (where hawing can't see it). It was frizzing out last year, so it was a disappointment that it wasn't fixed. The operators were trying to fix it. That was when the the main board got "stuck". I think they were just ignoring the ball/strike counter and were working on the ribbon board. The ribbon board then went dark and came back with an obvious start up graphic. In IT, when you don't know what to do, powercycle!

The lack of scoring decisions made it harder to score along.

The gentleman behind me loudly complained about the "lack of batting average" on the board. Despite the fact that everyone's BA is next to their name in the lineup. Or that the BA is displayed on the ribbon board. He did loudly criticize the OBP on the board, calling it a worthless stat. He was lucky I was in no mode to fight a drunk. And a complete wimp of a shy nerd.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

Sigh.

I know this isn't technically any different from other 4 game losing streaks, but when there's a big fat "0" in the win column, it sure feels pretty crappy.

Bad situational hitting, meatballs from Saito, and some unfortunate luck (Betancourt's 400 ft. 2B vs. Uggla's 370 ft. HR), and here we are at 0-4.

I was there as well. 214 was pretty tame. In fact, I didn't see nearly as many drunks as usual on Opening Day. Well, maybe the two guys behind me who thought Nieves was an outfielder for us last year, couldn't understand why Naverson came out after 98 pitches, and the "lack" of batting average on the scoreboard. Even the men's room lines were pretty tame.

I'll echo the thoughts on the scoreboard, it's pretty awesome. Love the prominent OBP and SLG placement.

I was two seats away from catching a foul ball. I've never caught one in the hundreds of games I've attended. Caught a home run (Eric Owens!), caught minor league and spring training foul balls, but never an MLB foul ball. This is the year, though - I was two seats away in Cincy on Thursday, too.

pitch, the blacked out advertisement is most likely for Potawotami. They cover it when the Brewers play the Braves. I suppose they would for a series with Cleveland too. There was also no Crazy Cap Shuffle yesterday, and we think that is why. (Oddly, the Potawotami logos on the dugout roofs were visible. We're going again Wednesday and I'll recheck if I think of it.)

Also, pitch, I can't comment on the big advertising thing behind home plate because our seats don't allow us to see it.

Robin19, I was in position to see the frizzed out part of the ribbon board, once I leaned forward a bit. It was frizzed for a while before the game began. During the game, I noticed the "stuck" pitch count before I realized the ribbon board was dark. I'd like to think that is testament to how I was following the game instead of being wowed by shiny things. It does seem plausible that the videoboard was OK but temporarily forgotten while staff worked on the ribbon board.

Archived