Brewer Fanatic

2011 Spring/Summer/Fall Weather Thread

adamb100
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Judging by the radar, that storm near Appleton has some huge hail and probably a tornado.

Edit: tornado and baseball sized hail now officially reported with that storm. Look out.

No hail of any real size for me in Appleton. I think I heard some hitting against the windows, but I didn't see any. The lightning was impressive. I've never seen so much lighting with a storm before -- it was almost literally constant.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

No hail of any real size for me in Appleton. I think I heard some hitting against the windows, but I didn't see any. The lightning was impressive. I've never seen so much lighting with a storm before -- it was almost literally constant.

We had brutal winds, heavy sideways rain and as TLB said, constant lightning in Omro. What a crazy storm!

@BrewCrewCritic on Twitter "Racing Sausages" - "Huh?"

I'm happy we didn't get the rain in Wausau. The river is already ridiculously high and I want to fish on it this week. I believe it was supposed to crest today. Though I guess they got about 2" of rain in the Merrill area, so it doesn't matter all that much.

Some of the hail stones from the La Crosse area, from WKBT's online gallery.

http://slideshows.embtv.com/upload/photos/2011/04/10/ce9ceb489991b2c70ba6481ba995896b_mid.jpg

http://slideshows.embtv.com/upload/photos/2011/04/11/52487b135eaf2e40f1219d854f859177_mid.jpg

http://slideshows.embtv.com/upload/photos/2011/04/10/a3215b215822a9c107e73d9e339378f9_mid.jpg

Luckily nothing that bad where I was, but still scary to think about.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Community Moderator

Amazing hailstones. Saw some like that in Missouri once, they looked like missiles falling from the sky.

One of the storm chasers got some good video of the Merrill tornado:

question about your video, jazzy. Was this just a lightning show? No thunder? I've seen those but I thought it was more of a desert phenomenon. Thanks for sharing, though.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

I doubt if this is the same, but in the summer we often get heat lightning. Amazing light shows, but no booms.

EDIT: After some research, I'm not so sure that what I'm talking about is officially "heat" lightning. That's what I've always called it, though.

A few years ago, we were at my sister's in Boscobel, it was so stormy, the thunder was constant for about 10 minutes...no silence, some rumbles, some cracks. Lightning was closer than in the video above, but also nonstop. Never experienced that before or since.

Jazzy where was that video taken Neenah?

Looks very similar to what I saw here in Oshkosh. Constant lightning, minimal thunder...it was really cool as it moved in, but the majority of the actual storm missed me here. I didn't see any large hail like others claimed it must of been hit or miss. I wouldn't want one of those things hitting me anyways so not a bad thing http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

It was on the south side of Neenah. I'm just off the no longer existing Breezewood Ln exit. We were basically just south of where most of the damage happened in Neenah.

Pitch, it seemed like there was a low rumble throughout. It was almost hard to pick out because at some point it just becomes a drone. It started to pick up a bit later when the streaks started.

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

• 3 weeks later...
I'm sure everyone has seen what the south has gone through this week. Wow. They said there were over 150 tornadoes yesterday, and the average April has 116, nationwide. It is really unfortunate so many people have lost their lives in these storms.

That is crazy bad. The death toll is currently around 300 - more like there used to be back before Doppler radar and improved forecasting. Of course, if a super monstrous tornado hits your neighborhood directly, it kind of doesn't matter how much notice you get.

This outbreak is being compared to the April 1974 outbreak, which I barely remember (I was 8 at the time).

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

OK, I hate to whine about the weather...but it's May 3rd, and it's 40 degrees out. Feels colder than that. I could really go for some nice temperatures in the 50s and 60s. We've had a couple decent days recently, but by and large this has been a pretty miserable "spring."
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

• 2 weeks later...
Bumping this thread for how beautiful it is outside today.
So you probably don't want to know that the library's weather radio just sounded the alarm for another severe thunderstorm watch. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/ohwell.gif
Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Twice is the last two days in Milwaukee, there's been thunder so strong that it knocked stuff out of place. One clap knocked a picture off the wall. Another knocked a stack of stuff off of the top of a freezer.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Archived