Brewer Fanatic

Shortstops available

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If he can play third too, I think he's a better option than Josh Wilson. Wilson has been great, but I don't see him keeping it up. It probably wouldn't be worth the prospects to get Keppinger just to upgrade our BU IF though.

MLBTR lists Jamey Carroll as a trade candidate. Link.

He's played 51 games at SS for the Dodgers with a -9.5 UZR/150 (-2.4 career) compared to YuniB's -11.4 UZR/150 (-8.5 career). He also has a .376 OBP this year with a .375 SLG (.357/.350 career). This would be a huge upgrade over Betancourt. If he proves to be gritty enough, RRR could even slide him into the #1 spot and allow Weeks to hit 2nd and get more RBI opportunities. He's looking like a type B free agent but as a 37 year old rental he probably wouldn't cost a top prospect. He seems like an ideal combination of cost/benefit in terms of potential trade targets at the moment.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Keppinger is a nice player, but from all I've read about him, he's a bad shortstop, and no one really sees him as one.

Before he got hurt, the Astro's were interested in trading him, and the reports were pretty much the same - he's not a shortstop. Good, solid player, but not a SS (beyond an occasional fill in).

I don't think he was mentioning Y. Escobar specifically, but a talent like him in general.

I am warming to the idea of Furcal in Milwaukee because his injuries have likely lessened his trade value and he might be had for a relative song at this point in time. I know he is injury prone but if he were willing to sign a 2 year $15-20MM extension in Milwaukee, he may worth looking at as a fix for the next few seasons.

I don't think there are too many "long term" fixes at SS available at the moment, save for Reyes. And Reyes will cost a ton. I think I'd rather see them add a stop gap like Caroll for this season and get a comp pick at the end of the season. Then I'd look into trading Hart for a SS prospect in the offseason and using Hart's money toward a Greinke extension.

I don't think there are too many "long term" fixes at SS available at the moment, save for Reyes. And Reyes will cost a ton. I think I'd rather see them add a stop gap like Caroll for this season and get a comp pick at the end of the season. Then I'd look into trading Hart for a SS prospect in the offseason and using Hart's money toward a Greinke extension.
I think this is unnecessary if the premise is solely re-signing Greinke. If we can offer Fielder 5years/$100MM, we most certainly would be able to offer ZG the same. If he is looking for more than that well we can say goodbye to him as well.

As a side, I think trading Hart and losing Fielder in the same year would likely cause an exodus from Milwaukee despite the SS the Brewers would receive in return. We gain an experienced SS in return (say Stephen Drew as an example) and then turn around to start Gamel at 1B and Gindl/Katin in RF. A lineup with Drew-Gamel-Gindl/Katin looks significantly worse to me than say Hardy/Furcal/Keppinger-Gamel-Hart.

I think this is unnecessary if the premise is solely re-signing Greinke. If we can offer Fielder 5years/$100MM, we most certainly would be able to offer ZG the same. If he is looking for more than that well we can say goodbye to him as well.

As a side, I think trading Hart and losing Fielder in the same year would likely cause an exodus from Milwaukee despite the SS the Brewers would receive in return. We gain an experienced SS in return (say Stephen Drew as an example) and then turn around to start Gamel at 1B and Gindl/Katin in RF. A lineup with Drew-Gamel-Gindl/Katin looks significantly worse to me than say Hardy/Furcal/Keppinger-Gamel-Hart.

The premise isn't soley to sign Greinke, but it would give us flexibility. It's that RF is one position where we could reasonably trade our starter and not suffer a catastrophic hit to our lineup. We've also signed a couple extensions, notably Weeks, since Fielder turned down his contract. Also in your comparison, you aren't factoring salary or age into consideration. Out of the SS's you mentioned, only Hardy will be under 30 to start next season and all will require a significant amount of money. Without Fielder, I think next season we'll be moving out of our "all-in" mentality and re-focus on acquiring cost-effective players to build around our core.

It's become apparent to me that Melvin HAS TO upgrade shortstop. Betancourt has become a major liability in the lineup and this team is already inconsistent enough. JJ Hardy would be ideal because not only does he play good defense, but he'd be a popular player in Milwaukee from day one. Baltimore isn't going anywhere and will trade him for the right price. He won't take an arm and a leg to acquire but I think it needs to be done.

Actually, it might take quite a bit to get Hardy. He's playing himself into a for sure Type A, and it'll be hard for the Brewers to offer better compensation than that. I personally think Reyes and Hardy are both out of the picture now.
I agree with you. I just don't see the Brewers as having the pieces to get a guy like Hardy, let alone Reyes, at this point. We'd have to probably look at giving up Gamel along with Thornburg or something crazy like that. We just can't afford to gut our farm system that much further right now.

I still hope Furcal becomes a possibility.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

what value does Furcal provide when he spends 90% of the time on the DL?

Melvin & Hardy are oil & water.....not gonna happen

The value would be that the Brewers could probably get him while giving up very little in a trade. Other than the financial aspect, the trade wouldn't then hurt Milwaukee too much. Even if Furcal only plays half of the rest of the season, he would still be a huge upgrade over Yuni Betancourt.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Or we could just hope JJ goes into one of his prolonged slumps and then Baltimore is willing to deal him. I am a huge Hardy guy as you can tell by my name but the guy is as streaky as they come. Baltimore would be wise to deal him while his value is high

If he's so injury prone why in the world would we want him to sign an extension?
Because when he is healthy, he is a very good performer. Also he'll likely come cheaper than other alternatives.

Finally, I'm not one who believes that injuries in the past necessarily mean more injuries in the future. Just because a player has been snake-bitten in the past by a few injuries does not mean he is necessarily going to be sidelined for long stretches in the future.

Many called Weeks injury prone and didn't want him extended. I would guess that few would argue against his extension at this point.

He may not have been injury prone prior to 2008, but he has missed a ton since then

08' - 36 games

'09 - 150 games (the exception here)

'10 - 97 Games

'11 - only 12 games so far

I don't think I want anything to do with him. He's obviously not what he was earlier in his career

Because when he is healthy, he is a very good performer. Also he'll likely come cheaper than other alternatives.

Finally, I'm not one who believes that injuries in the past necessarily mean more injuries in the future. Just because a player has been snake-bitten in the past by a few injuries does not mean he is necessarily going to be sidelined for long stretches in the future.

Many called Weeks injury prone and didn't want him extended. I would guess that few would argue against his extension at this point.

The problem is he's rarely healthy. As far as the Weeks comparison, he's what 28? Furcal has missed a ton of time three of the last four years and will be 34 as this season ends. So once again, why would we sign him to a long term deal?

After 4 injury plagued seasons, where's any evidence, anecdotal or otherwise, that Furcal will stay healthy enough to be a factor in the post season, and is worth any kind of long-term deal, regardless of the contract?

Furcal is doing exactly what the average player does as they age, spending more and more time on the DL. Some players buck the trends in the injury nexus, most however do not, and Furcal falls solidly into the significant injury risk category.

When will people around here quit suggesting long-term deals for these aging and declining players? Is it ever a good idea to have to plan to replace 20+% of the season's production with a replacement player? Especially since the system doesn't have many replacement players to offer?

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Not to mention, where is Furcal at mentally? I remember reading that he was seriously considering retiring because he has been so discouraged with the constant injuries over the past 3-4 seasons.

I really see 2 options - go all in and get Reyes. To do that, Mark A would probably have to take on at least 1 bad contract to make up for the lack of an elite prospect. Mets need serious financial relief right now.

The other option would be the scrap heap - give some unknown, has been or busted prospect a shot. I held out hope for Betancourt earlier this season, but it's time.

Archived