Brewer Fanatic

2011-04-03 Brewers (Wolf) at Reds (Arroyo) - 12:10 PM CDT [Brewers lose, 12-3]

What Gomez just did there shows how good of a defensive CFer he is. Cutting the ball off and throwing a dart to 2nd holding the guy at first. I think that is a double on most CFers

and that play shows how bad a 1st baseman is. You have to throw the ball to 2nd and get the out there. These little things that they can't do are so frustrating to watch.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Knowing that we have Johnny Wholestaff pitching on Wednesday makes this start to the season even tougher to take. I know that some on this board don't understand the frustrations of others, but we are "going all in" this year. We are going to need about 95 wins to win the division. I think that the East gets the wild card so I doubt that will be an option. It is tough to lose a lot in a row at the start and win 95 games. Plus, those of old enough to remember how we were supposed to win it in 1983, 1984, 1988, 1989, and then see our team dispersed when we may have good enough to win in 1993, can get kind of nervous when we see our team play bad baseball.
I'd be very surprised if it took 95 to win the division. Every team in the division has some pretty big flaws (even if we aren't seeing Cincinnati's yet). Wouldn't surprise me if the division winner only wound up with 88 or 87 wins.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

I think you mean "superb" and not suburb but maybe he lives in Brookfield or something.

And yes, that will never happen. He is a real-life Willie Mays Hayes. He needs to start taking his walks. Period. His .330 batting average in spring means nothing, I surprised Brewers management seemed to think something of that. There's a lot of denial this year regarding possible team deficiencies, I guess.

There is absolutely ZERO chance of the NL Central winner needing 95 games to win the division. The number of games we play against each other, and the fact that there's not much to separate the top 4 (hell, the Pirates will probably play spoiler a fair bit too) means that I'll put money on the winner of the division not even breaking 90 games.

Knowing that we have Johnny Wholestaff pitching on Wednesday makes this start to the season even tougher to take. I know that some on this board don't understand the frustrations of others, but we are "going all in" this year. We are going to need about 95 wins to win the division. I think that the East gets the wild card so I doubt that will be an option. It is tough to lose a lot in a row at the start and win 95 games. Plus, those of old enough to remember how we were supposed to win it in 1983, 1984, 1988, 1989, and then see our team dispersed when we may have good enough to win in 1993, can get kind of nervous when we see our team play bad baseball.

How does one get into the in-game chat? I used to see an icon on the in-game web page but I don't any more.

It doesn't take 95 win talent to be the best team in the NL Central. We aren't going all in this year, that is just dumb stuff the media spits out every day, we don't lose anyone but Fielder next year so these trades weren't just about 2010. I agree the East gets the wild card. There was no reason to expect more than a 1-2 record this series so we are 1 game off of expectations now, it really is no big deal.

We need to fix these terrible roster choices though, Kotsay and Betancourt and Gomez really make it harder to win.

There was no reason to expect more than a 1-2 record this series so we are 1 game off of expectations now, it really is no big deal.
Standing wise that's true, but as I pointed out before Wolf gave up 4 runs in the other thread, there is a monumental difference between being 1-2 vs the Reds and 0-3. At 1-2 if we win the next series we're even or up on them. At 0-3 we need to win 3 series in a row to get even or better without sweeping back at some point. We won't win the division playing under .500 against the teams we are directly competing with.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

I wasn't saying that I was throwing in the towel in my previous post. I was just trying to explain why people are overreacting. The disappointing thing to me about this series was that we did the same things wrong that we did at the start of last season. I would like to think that we are capable of learning. I watched the Tigers and Yankees on opening day wear out each starting pitchers by taking a lot of pitches. We got better at that as the season went along last year. This weekend we swung at a lot of pitchers' pitches. Our pitches fell behind in the count way too often this series. Aside from a couple of plays by Rickie, I don't remember the D bailing our pitches out at all either. I hope that we have enough of a sense of urgency and self-discipline that we quickly eliminate these repetitive mistakes that cost us games last year.

The debate about going all in this year can be looked at two ways. I almost think that we have to be "all in" this year because next year if we can't extend marcum or ZG (if we want to that is) then we need to trade them during or before the year. I think that they have to look at doing that to replenish the farm and I think that's why they went and got them in the first place. I know it will upset people but I think that's the way you have to handle your team unless you're one of the big boys. So I do really think this year is a big year for us. That being said, we have a lot of our offense in place for several more years so we will be able to make another run at things. Just might have to take one step back in 2012.

Archived