Brewer Fanatic

2011-04-03 Brewers (Wolf) at Reds (Arroyo) - 12:10 PM CDT [Brewers lose, 12-3]

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply
For all the good things Casey does, I really wish we had a better defensive option than him at 3rd long term.

And damn, Wolf gives up a 3R HR, I might have to turn this off.

There was nothing he could do on that play. Even if he goes to 2nd the guy was close enough to get back.

Casey is so slow at 3rd and simply cannot play as deep as he does. When you have no range you can't play back where he does and fail to make simple plays. 3 slow hit balls in 3 games and none of the plays are made. He has now cost us these two games probably with his awful defense and yet people continue to harp on Gomez and Betancourt. I don't see why these two take all the blame. Other guys have not hit either and have not botched easy plays.

We are in the 3rd game of the year and people are already up in arms. Give it some times and just enjoy a few games before making these drastic changes. We haven't even had opening day in Milwaukee yet. Gomez may not be the best option for the 2 hole but what other options do we really have. Maybe in a bit Morgan will be there. Hart probably hits there when he gets back. Betancourt may be ok after a couple hitless games. All things that cannot be determined yet.

Let's get a win today and all will be better....

Sorry but its not like this a guy right up from AAA we have never seen. We saw this all year last year as well. Nothing has changed.

This team's D has cost us 2 games. McGehee on Thursday and Braun out there today. The Milwaukee Schlitz played better D than these guys.
Partially true, but Wolf is also getting just plain hit right now. Hard.

He is the slowest 3rd baseman in the league. There is no way that he should be playing that deep constantly. Lose weight or work on foot speed...or play first.
@BrewCrewCritic on Twitter "Racing Sausages" - "Huh?"

I really can't believe some of you guys that are harping on Casey for that play. There is nothing that anyone could have done there.

You mean other than get Janish out when he was halfway between 2nd and 3rd?

McGehee was playing a bit too deep and didn't charge the ball all that hard, and Kottaras probably could have blocked the plate better. Still, Wolf's control has to be a bit of a concern, since it never really came along this spring.

The Reds are probably one of the best hitting teams in baseball, though, so I probably won't put too much stock into this series when it comes to judging the pitching.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

I guess he should have anticipated a slowly hit ball. He might be slow but this isn't softball where you play even with the bag.

and there is no damn way a 3rd baseman looks for the runner that is in between bases.

He has no instinct at 3rd. He is a statue that prolly had his career year at the plate last year. Yep, I'm ready for a change over there already. He just has no footwork/speed to speak of. These pitchers are going to get screwed on earned runs all year if he is out there.
@BrewCrewCritic on Twitter "Racing Sausages" - "Huh?"

You can chalk a lot of this suck up to the Reds being a very good team... but it's not going to get much easier when the Braves come to town. Tough start so far. Can't wait for Hart and Lucroy to get back. Watching the batters after McGehee in the order is painful. They don't take any pitches and makes things way too easy on the opposing team.

Again with him charging forward, there is no way he is going to stop and throw out Janish without Janish seeing that and taking the 4 steps back to the bag. No 3rd baseman is making that play. Just a fluke hit.

For all the good things Casey does, I really wish we had a better defensive option than him at 3rd long term.

And damn, Wolf gives up a 3R HR, I might have to turn this off.

There was nothing he could do on that play. Even if he goes to 2nd the guy was close enough to get back.

Just because Casey is slow and doesn't have great arm, so he didn't have play, doesn't make me feel any better about having him at 3rd. How many of us knew it was a hit as soon the camera backed up? Casey gets the most of out what he has, he's just very limited athletically, and he'll get worse as he gets older... I'd rather he slide to first but it appears the organization has decided that's Gamel's spot. Not that Gamel would be better at 3rd... like I said, I wish we had a better long term option.

I feel the same way about Casey as I did about Braun taking too shallow an angle to that ball and having it go over his glove, neither player is an asset defensively.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

These slow choppers that Casey doesn't make are made by just about every 3rd baseman even if they are playing as deep as he is. He is not fast enough to play that deep on a consistent basis and doesnt have the arm to make up for playing that deep. Add that to Braun's play and you have a 6-2 game. This is not Wolf's fault. You can't get 5 guys out an inning and not give up damage. Arroyo should have been the last out.

t

Archived