Brewer Fanatic

2011-04-02 Brewers (Marcum) at Reds (Wood) - 6:10 PM CDT [Brewers lose, 4-2]

I agree, for as bad as this game started, Marcum and then pen really stepped up. Show's you a little bit of Marcum's guts, battling through that start. I really just want to get out of April around 500 or a few games better and start hitting our stride in the coming months when we get everyone back and healthy.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jerichoholicninja]

I have to say I'm disappointed in the Brewers approach at the plate, because they took so long to go the other way and hit what the pitcher gives them. The majority of the pitches they tried to pull and hit out of the park. Mainly Mcgehee and Almonte. That's why Wood was so effective early on. It also should have been a 3-2 game, but Fielder dropped an easy ball. However, with that said I like that Marcum settled down and loved the good relief pitching. That was good to see.
Is that not the Brewers of the last 8 years?
Yes, very inconsistent on offense. If the Brewers can't manufacture runs when they need to and they rely mainly on the home run they will always be inconsistent. It also irritates me because I know that if they make the playoffs they will likely lose because of their inconsistent offense, and the fact that they wont take what the pitcher gives them, but rather swing for the fences. You have to be able to go the other way in the playoffs to score runs.
Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

Any loss to a division rival hurts, yeah, but if you're going to try to look at it objectively - which, by your post, it seems that you are - why should Game 1 "sting" any more than any other loss?

I didn't say that I thought it hurts any more than any other game. Just that this series is very important. Game 1 stings more to me because of the epic choke job to lose it, not because it's more or less important.

It is simply to say that it is highly unrealistic to expect the Brewers never to lose two games in a row to a divisional contender.

No one has said that. Like I said, I think everyone knows that there are a lot of games left to play. But losing two of the 16 games against the Reds hurts, whether it's the first two, or any other two games against them. That's all.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I didn't say that I thought it hurts any more than any other game. Just that this series is very important. Game 1 stings more to me because of the epic choke job to lose it, not because it's more or less important.

You said that it was a "big deal" that we didn't win one of those games. You said that it was "very important" that we should win one of those games. You also said the 162-game season argument only holds so much water.

I don't think any of those statements are true.

Kind of a big deal. It is very important to win as many games as possible against the Reds. Just because it didn't matter last year for the Reds vs the Cards doesn't mean it doesn't matter this year for us.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Why argue semantics at all?

Any loss to a divisional opponent isn't a good thing, it's really that simple. Yes there is plenty of time left in the season and no one should be jumping off a cliff yet, but at the same time the Brewers simply can't afford to get swept by any divisional opponent. While they should be expected to lose a certain percentage of series played away from Miller Park, especially against the better teams in the division, it doesn't matter if it's the first series, the 5th, or the 10th, it's never good thing to be in position to get swept.

It's not about being 0-2 for season, it's about possibly being 0-3 vs the division winner. The Brewers would have to win the next 3 series just to get back to even against them, it's a steep hill to climb.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Archived