Brewer Fanatic

Our Current Starting Lineup Does Not Look Good

rluzinski
  • Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You do realize that Betancourt had fewer errors and a higher fielding percentage than Escobar did last season, right? His problem isn't errors, it is range. (Might need to consider changing your Betancourt nickname, it doesn't apply).
Bet-on-Baseballs-Getting-Through_The_Infield doesn't have much of a ring to it...&nbsp

Yuno Bet-he-can't-get-it?

Betancourt & Kotsay don't belong on an MLB roster; both look lost at the plate & bring nothing defensively. Betancourt is definitely as bad as advertised both in the field & at the plate. Braun, Fielder, & McGehee are all at the best below-avg. defenders. This team's defense is just annoyingly bad.

Corey Hart can't get back soon enough, but since this is the Brewers, he's yet another below-avg. defender. Melvin really needs to address SS, & remind Roenicke that Njyer Morgan can actually get on base against RHP. I'm not liking Roenicke yet. Morgan would really give the Brewers 2/3 of an excellent defensive OF, but for some unexplainable reason, Kotsay gets all the starts.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I wasn't joking when I said Betancourt is the worst full time player in baseball, any random AAA SS is better than him. He has put up -1 WAR over the past 3 seasons combined and is trending down not up.

Once Hart and Lucroy are back and Morgan takes at least half the bats away from Gomez the lineup will look a lot better. Then I imagine we get a glove who can't hit to play SS at some point and then the roster finally looks good.

So far, everyone except Weeks - Braun - Fielder - McGehee has been terrible at the plate. The bottom of the order doesn't take ANY pitches. They're going to make it so the opposing starter can throw a complete game every time out. Truly pathetic. Hart and Lucroy can't come back soon enough, and Gomez needs to start hitting 8th or 9th.

And yes, it is a joke that Kotsay is playing more than Morgan.

This team is really frustrating me. They aren't scoring any runs unless they hit home runs. They are all solo home runs though because they don't have anyone that can actually get on base without hitting a home run. They are swinging at too many first pitches and not working the count enough. Everyone is trying to pull the ball. I think Nyger Morgan needs to be in the lineup, batting first, with Weeks batting second. Of course that leaves Gomez back in the lower half of the lineup with Nieves and Betancourt which, when I just typed that, made me throw up a little in my mouth thinking of those three batting next to each other. Logan Schafer needs to learn how to stay healthy because there's a good chance he could be our starting center fielder by the end of the season.

made me throw up a little in my mouth

Can we please not use this phrase. Yes, Dodgeball is a hilarious movie, but it's perhaps the most annoying cliche used on brewerfan.net. I almost made a post the other day asking the over/under for first time that annoying phrase is used this season

Can we please not use this phrase. Yes, Dodgeball is a hilarious movie, but it's perhaps the most annoying cliche used on brewerfan.net. I almost made a post the other day asking the over/under for first time that annoying phrase is used this season

When I use it, it's an ode to Bill Parcells. He said it like 5+ years before Dodgeball ever came out. Back when his Monday pressers when he was with the Jets were must see TV.

I didn't know they even said that on Dodgeball.
Ennder wrote:

Once

Hart and Lucroy are back and Morgan takes at least half the bats away

from Gomez the lineup will look a lot better. Then I imagine we get a

glove who can't hit to play SS at some point and then the roster finally

looks good.

The really sad part is this is what Melvin

should have been doing this offseason instead of signing a guy like

Kotsay and trading Dickerson for a guy the Yankees were probably going

to cut.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I don't mind dealing Dickerson at all. That move I liked quite a bit, since I think Mitre will end up helping the team throughout the season. I do wish they would have given him a chance to win that job, but whatever. They needed a Mitre-type, especially in April, and Dickerson had value that Kotsay/Almonte obviously didn't.

Don't worry, BA & Rock noted in the broadcast today that Roenicke is going to play Morgan when superstar Mark Kotsay needs days off. Even though he's amazing, he's older, so he needs more rest. Kotsay is ahead of Morgan on the depth chart. Roenicke is behind Dusty Baker.

They aren't scoring any runs unless they hit home runs.

No, remember? This team is going to be newly aggressive! Taking the extra base! Generating runs! http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif Just like was said going into last season. It's not hard to figure out, and it has nothing to do with 'waiting for the home run', when guys don't get on base, teams don't score much. The Brewers haven't been getting on base well, and it's directly related to having bad hitters in the lineup. Kotsay & Betancourt are basically automatic outs -- Roenicke has been giving away 6 or more outs each game by having these guys in the starting lineups.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

It's annoying that the Brewers don't work the count. Sometimes ambushing the first pitch can be great...but we didn't face a 3-ball count until the 8th inning today! It looks like we're trying to pull the ball for homers every at bat.

I also want to see Nyjer Morgan play instead of Mark Kotsay. Morgan at least brings some speed to the lineup and has better range on defense. He seems to have some energy and spark to his game.

I have no idea what Kotsay offers to this team at this point in his career.

Don't worry, BA & Rock noted in the broadcast today that Roenicke is going to play Morgan when superstar Mark Kotsay needs days off. Even though he's amazing, he's older, so he needs more rest. Kotsay is ahead of Morgan on the depth chart. Roenicke is behind Dusty Baker.

The way I heard it when Morgan was batting was that when superstar Kotsay needed a day off Morgan would split time with Jeremy Reed and Almonte in right field. Roenicke is starting to worry me.

Also has anyone heard of a good pitching-bad defense team? It seems the Brewers are going to give it a try.

It's pretty clear that Kotsay is done as a MLB player. Maybe he can be a left-handed pinch-hitter off the bench or whatever. Part of the test of what we have in Ron Roenicke is seeing the adjustments he makes through the season. Eventually he will realize that Morgan is a far better option than Kotsay, but how quickly will he see that?

It could also be easily argued that Morgan should start over Gomez vs the better right-handers. Again, how soon will Roenicke see this and react.

And finally, please tell me that Nieves will not be kept over Kottaras once Lucroy comes back!

the bottom 4 of Kotsay, Betancourt, Nieves , Pitcher is just a brutal lineup! Easily among the worst I've seen as a Brewers fan, and that is really saying something!

They aren't scoring any runs unless they hit home runs.

No, remember? This team is going to be newly aggressive! Taking the extra base! Generating runs! http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif Just like was said going into last season. It's not hard to figure out, and it has nothing to do with 'waiting for the home run', when guys don't get on base, teams don't score much. The Brewers haven't been getting on base well, and it's directly related to having bad hitters in the lineup. Kotsay & Betancourt are basically automatic outs -- Roenicke has been giving away 6 or more outs each game by having these guys in the starting lineups.

Every time i see Kotsay walk to the plate and then weakly hit some ball, i get very frustrated with Melvin, regardless if he isn't the main reason we lost the two games he started. Nothing more is left to be said about Betancourt.

Mevin really is a tough guy for me to figure out. He can make fabulous moves that make me think he's a really good GM, then he trades for Betancourt and signs washed up scrubs like Kotsay. Our bench nearly every year seems to be comprised of all lefthanded batters except for one scrub righty who had a good spring so he makes the roster. How does Doug on one hand pull a fabulous trade like getting Carlos Lee for Scott Podsednik or getting Grienke, but then think it's smart to sign Kotsay and trade for Betancourt because Yuni had 78 RBI's last year?

I wish Melvin would have went after Dye or Glaus instead of Kotsay. Both Glaus and Dye would have been defensive liabilities with Glaus being a pinch hit or when Prince would need a day off type of a player. I believe Dye would have been a better pick up than Kotsay though especially with the injury to Hart.

I think Hart is going to be out for at least a few more weeks if not longer and it'll be interesting to see how this whole Kotsay-Morgan thing plays out

I'd like to believe that they traded for Morgan knowing that counting on Carlos Gomez and Mark Kotsay is a huge risk

Why would Glaus have been a liability? The dude used to be great at 3rd and occasionally played SS in interleague games to create flexibility for the lineup
Because Glaus has no movement anymore. Put it this way would you play Fielder at 3B or in the OF? Glaus is about equal to what Fielder is defensively now.

Archived