Brewer Fanatic

Our Current Starting Lineup Does Not Look Good

rluzinski
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Personally, it frustrates me. Because you know in the game threads people are going to off about how bad of a defender is everytime he makes in error. When, in reality that isn't what makes him so bad.

I think people should try to have an accurate understanding of their players' strengths and weaknesses. And stupid nicknames like YunE-6 are only going to encourage such ignorant posting in the game threads.

I don't think it is nitpicky, I think it is wanting people here to actually be capable of intelligently recognize Yuni's strengths and weaknesses. It's like coming up with a nickname that suggests Yuni's batting average sucks. It isn't his BA that is the problem, it's that he seems incapable of taking a walk. I know that Logan is just eager to bag on Betancourt (thus the signature), but at least bag on him honestly.

Don't read the game threads. Those are mostly about knee jerk reaction stuff anyways. That's why I tend to stay out of them.

Coming on here trying to MAKE people not hate a guy they're predisposed to not like is like clapping with one hand. It can't be done. Stupid nicknames happen. It's part of sports.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not trying to make people not hate on Betancourt. I think he is a below average player. I just think there is some ignorance on this site as to why he is a below average player. It has nothing to do with his glove or his BA, it has everything to do with his range and inability to draw a walk.

Stupid nicknames just encourage ignorance.

strawbossisevil wrote:

I know that Logan is just eager to bag on Betancourt (thus the signature), but at least bag on him honestly.

That is not true at all. I am eager to stop bagging on Betancourt and I will as soon as he is replaced.

I know his range is the problem but nobody has come up with a good nickname to accurately describe that so YunE-6 lives on.

I'm not trying to make people not hate on Betancourt. I think he is a

below average player. I just think there is some ignorance on this site

as to why he is a below average player. It has nothing to do with his

glove or his BA, it has everything to do with his range and inability to

draw a walk.

I would give most posters here more credit than that.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I'm not trying to make people not hate on Betancourt. I think he is a below average player. I just think there is some ignorance on this site as to why he is a below average player. It has nothing to do with his glove or his BA, it has everything to do with his range and inability to draw a walk.

The awesome thing about being a fan is that no one else can tell you HOW to be a fan.

It's not good when the first thing you notice about the lineup is that the pitcher should be hitting sixth...and not just because it's Yo.

I think everyone in baseball is addicted to veteran grittiness even Roenicke, despite the statistical folly. It's not like the other options are great, but Kotsay should be on the bench...or better yet, the couch.

I haven't paged through all of the comments so I apologize if this has been brought up already, but I would rather see Morgan in right field than Kotsay. It would bring up the defense quite a bit and would allow Gomez to shade over to help cover left field a bit. Then I'd bat Morgan leadoff and Weeks second. I've been waiting forever to see Weeks hit something other than leadoff. You may have to switch him back once Hart comes back, but you never know.

We traded for Morgan all of 3 days ago, no reason to think that Kotsay was set in stone at that point.

Morgan has a .361 OBP vs RHP in his career and is probably the best fielder on the team, he should be out there every day he can against RHP.

Carlos Gomez

I am excited about the season and trying really, really hard to be optimistic. I love that Melvin aggressively overhauled the rotation, but almost every move involving the bench or SS has completely baffled me. Sure, the Brewers have finite resources and all, but I don't recall any league mandate that we fill every bench spot with a bunch of guys who can't hit or field. Did Melvin lose a bet or something?

I think the lineup is looking good so far.

I don't think anyone was especially concerned with the top of the lineup. Kotsay, Betancourt and Nieves were the main ones to be concerned about and so far they're 0-2 with 2 K's.

I'm not worried about the offense as much as in previous years. I'm anticipating a career year from Braun, and now that we know what to expect from Braun, Fielder, McGehee, Weeks, and Hart, we should have a very solid lineup. Throw in our pitching staff, and we should be fine. Heck, look at the Giants' offense last year and they did fine thanks to the pitching

Now I think I'm just worried about the closer :-(

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Based on Kotsay's stats in the last few years and how slow he looked today as well as the very poor at-bats he took today, I'm not very optimistic about him, at all. On the plus side, a complete implosion from Kotsay over the next several games (such as going 0 for the next 5-6 games, which is entirely possible) could lead to Morgan getting alot more playing time

I would go with John Axford for worse player, pretty hard game to blow todays game and he did to none other than Hernandez. Pretty sad when he is the player in the lineup to knock out a game winning 3-run bomb. Maybe the only person worse would be Jason Kendell.....

Offensively I think our line up looks fine. Morgan over Kotsay would be preferred but I am not nearly the Kotsay hitter most on here are. Bethencourt.... yeah he may be more of a black hole in the lineup but with Josh Prince prob being the closest SS prospect (he is still 3 years away prob) not much we can do. I would love Farris to play a crap ton of SS but the Brewers feel it is better to let him stay 90% at 2B and be blocked by Weeks instead of get enough work in to fix a major weak spot. He is a great fielder at 2b and guessing he can't be that bad at SS. Offensively he just needs to out produce what Bethencourt is going to....

PECOTA has Weeks at .253 and Gomez at .239. I wouldn't expect drastically different BAs from them. Neither are really high average kind of players.

Does it really matter other than one needs to have a high average because he never walks?

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Archived