Brewer Fanatic

Our Current Starting Lineup Does Not Look Good

rluzinski
  • Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ennder wrote:

Morgan has a .361 OBP vs RHP in his career and is probably the best fielder on the team, he should be out there every day he can against RHP.

I wholeheartedly agree! I am going to reserve judgement about Kotsay as Roenicke and Melvin hopefully see something in him that makes them think he is a solid possibility, but yeah Morgan in right despite his weak throwing arm would be preferable over Mark Kotsay, to me.... hopefully we'll see Nyger Morgan at some point today whether as a pinch-runner, late inning defensive replacement or pinch hitter

If the throwing arm is a problem put Gomez in right and Morgan in CF. Heck shift Braun over to right if need be. Anything but Kotsay. Going with Kotsay and Betancourt is like driving 200 miles to Milwaukee to see a ballgame and turning around with the ballpark in sight.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Four of the 8 starting positional players are at or near replacement level. I reject the notion that I should have assumed that they would all be starting opening day, three weeks ago. I should have assumed that Betancourt and Gomez would be starting against a righty? That Kotsay would be the one picked?

well at least we have a good solid hitter in the #9 slot today

I'll be very intrigued to see how the Brewers look under Roenicke in terms of the base-running and Roenicke's comments about wanting to be aggressive on the base-paths. Between Weeks & Gomez (and Morgan if he gets in the game, and Hart once he comes back) we have some players who can really run. Wouldn't be shocked to see Braun get 20 SB's this year, too

Kotsay starting is definitely a really bad move. I have no idea what is going on there. Kotsay has literally shown nothing over the last 3 years that would make me think he should be on our team as a backup let alone starting.

YunE-6 just sounds good.

Then, let's be sure to call the Royals shortstop Alcides E6cabar because if E-6 applies to Betancourt, then it more than applies to E6cobar. Part of a good nickname is having it actually describe the player.

How about instead...Y Bet on Y. Betancourt?

Out of curiosity...

Inserting Hart's and Lucroy's expected OPS, the average bumps up to ~.780 OPS. Does that give you more confidence in the offense? Or is that still considered below average.

You don't have an Adam Wainwright. Easily the best gentlemen in all of sports. You don't have the amount of real good old American men like the Cardinals do. Holliday, Wainwright, Skip, Berkman those 4 guys are incredible people

GhostofQuantrill

well at least we have a good solid hitter in the #9 slot today

I'll be very intrigued to see how the Brewers look under Roenicke in terms of the base-running and Roenicke's comments about wanting to be aggressive on the base-paths. Between Weeks & Gomez (and Morgan if he gets in the game, and Hart once he comes back) we have some players who can really run. Wouldn't be shocked to see Braun get 20 SB's this year, too

I really think the Brewers' non-running style of play comes from the front office. I'm fine with it, personally, but just saying. I also think it's pretty customary for a manager to come in and say "we're going to run more" to appease some fans.

So, Rickie is going to have the same batting average as Gomez according to ZIPS?

Yeah, about that...

It's based on more than one season. Weeks isn't a high average hitter, so I don't think it's that crazy of a projection.

My only hope about Kotsay is that his bat will stay hot for the (hopefully only) week or so that Hart is out. I don't hold out hope that he'll hit well all season, and I'd certainly rather see Morgan in the lineup than Kotsay. As Logan said, if Morgan doesn't have the arm for right, put Gomez there... he certainly has a strong enough arm.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Then, let's be sure to call the Royals shortstop Alcides E6cabar because if E-6 applies to Betancourt, then it more than applies to E6cobar. Part of a good nickname is having it actually describe the player.

Nah, YunE-6 rolls off the tongue better. Alcides E6cobar is a little unwieldy. Besides, Escobar doesn't play for us anymore so I really couldn't care less how he does especially now that he is in the AL. Call him whatever you want.

I blame Wang.

WisconsinSportsRule]So, Rickie is going to have the same batting average as Gomez according to ZIPS?

Yeah, about that...

Both are projected for a .249 BA:

Weeks: .253 for career, age 28
Gomez: .246 for career, age 25

PECOTA has Weeks at .253 and Gomez at .239. I wouldn't expect drastically different BAs from them. Neither are really high average kind of players.

strawbossisevil wrote:

Nah, YunE-6 rolls off the tongue better. Alcides E6cobar is a little unwieldy. Besides, Escobar doesn't play for us anymore so I really couldn't care less how he does especially now that he is in the AL. Call him whatever you want.

Ok, fair enough. Part of the reason I'm opposed to it is because I do want others to be actually informed on our team's players. But if you want to make an unfair assessment about one of our players because "it sounds good", that is your choice. Who here is a fan of Ryan "brains but no" Braun? Sounds really good to me, just rolls off my tongue therefore it must be a good nickname! Go Crew!

Looking at Kotsay and Morgan over the last 3 years they are closer than I originally thought on offense. However Morgan is really brought down by last year. Depending on whether or not that is his true talent they are pretty close on offense, maybe. Other than last year though Morgan is clearly a superior hitter. I would operate under the assumption last year was a down year for Morgan.

Even if you consider them equal hitters, Morgan is easily a better defender.

I blame Wang.

I'm just wondering how long this argument about Betencourt's crappy defense is going to rage. Who cares if it's glove or range? He sucks.
That's is how I feel honestly. I think it is nitpicking to call YunE-6 a bad nickname because it doesn't accurately describe him.

I do want others to be actually informed on our team's players

He's a bad defender and YunE-6 pretty clearly spells that out.

I blame Wang.

Part of the reason I'm opposed to it is because I do want others to be actually informed on our team's players.

They are informed. They know Betancourt sucks. It's just some Brewers fans are still in denial.

Personally, it frustrates me. Because you know in the game threads people are going to off about how bad of a defender is everytime he makes in error. When, in reality that isn't what makes him so bad.

I think people should try to have an accurate understanding of their players' strengths and weaknesses. And stupid nicknames like YunE-6 are only going to encourage such ignorant posting in the game threads.

I don't think it is nitpicky, I think it is wanting people here to actually be capable of intelligently recognizing Yuni's strengths and weaknesses. It's like coming up with a nickname that suggests Yuni's batting average sucks. It isn't his BA that is the problem, it's that he seems incapable of taking a walk. I know that Logan is just eager to bag on Betancourt (thus the signature), but at least bag on him honestly.

Archived