Brewer Fanatic

Use of Matt Wise

JJHardy7
Let's say Wise pitching today for 3 innings has no trade implications. Are there some good reasons for this? I know T Bow and Cordero have pitched quite a bit since the break (and maybe add Shouse in that to a smaller extent). I would imagine Wise is now out until at least Saturday? That's my guess I could see Sunday as more realistic. Was it just a Ned move? Can someone shine some light on this? I really want to see Parra, but it just seems odd that they haven't used him at all yet...thoughts?

Just guessing:

Matt doesn't pitch on consecutive days, but apparently there isn't a concern about him going multiple innings.

Based on other discussion on this forum, Parra probably has pretty tight innings limit over the rest of the season, probably significantly tighter than Gallardo.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I understand Manny and Yo's usage will be limited, but for the long run what are we going to do if we can't use them? Yo is going to get more innings than the Brewers wanted due to Sheets injury and Manny hasn't pitched since July 6th? I know they have their limits and that makes sense...but it's been 2 weeks since he's been in a game. If he's going to be that limited he should not be on the Brewers now (especially due to his arm history related to his limited innings).

Just guessing some more, but I'd imagine the Brewers feel that Manny is there if he's needed, and so far they've gotten around needing him.

I think the Brewers have made it pretty clear that Yo will be handled with care, even with the Sheets injury. Certainly, plans for the way he's going to be used in over the next few weeks have probably changed, but note that he was pulled after 6 innings and 89 pitches today. I remember Ned talking about 110 pitches being the approximate limit for Yo's first game. Today they got a 21 pitch bonus.

A lot of potential scenarios have been discussed in the Sheets, Spurling, Balfour, Parra and Gallardo and limiting his innings threads. If you haven't visited them, you might want to take a peek. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I think Wise going 3 innings today was just a combination of factors.

1.) Yo is probably going to be strictly a 6 inning pitcher from here on out in order to limit his innings.

2.) Turnbow and Cordero have been used a lot in this homestand, as evidenced by the 4 straight one run games that the Crew managed to eke out. Balfour threw last night, and they don't want to use Parra unless really necessary, and Villy threw 2 innings the night before last. All that really sets up a situation where if the opportunity was there (which it was) for Wise to go a few innings and not be in a pressure sitauation, there was no reason to not take it.

Really, I think the thing that is harder on relievers than pitch count, is appearances. Most often, a one inning reliever spends far more time stretching, warming up, and throwing in the bullpen than he actually does throwing in the game. I imagine once a guy is up and ready to go, going a few innings usually isn't that big of a deal, unless it were to happen quite often. I think a lot of the stress and tiredness a reliever goes through is because of the ordeal involved in getting ready to come into a game.

That's why it really, REALLY irks me to see CoCo warming up every time a team has a "chance" to make a game into a save situation with 2 outs in the ninth and the tying run "in the hole".

I think perhaps a better way to quantify what your talking about Roco is to think of warm up itself as pitching a full inning. This meshes with what we see though with the innings totals relievers actually pitch 70+ is pretty high and the only guys who can touch 100 are frequently used long relievers who go multiple innings.

I am guessing that they only allow Gallardo to go six innings because of the limit. I bet in future years he goes more than six, as long as he keeps his pitch count down. I didn't realize that he reached 100 pitches so quickly though, in AAA.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I am guessing that they only allow Gallardo to go six innings because of the limit. I bet in future years he goes more than six,

Absolutely. I've read and heard (I know someone will have a link to an article or some such) that you don't want to increase a young pitcher's work load by anymore than 25 or so innings per year until you get him where you want him. Given that Yo threw 154 innings last year, that would mean that to keep him under his limit, they want no more than 180 innings. In order to be able to use him in late September (and possibly the playoffs) they really need to keep a super sharp eye on his pitch counts and innings pitched. If that means pulling him after 6 brilliantly pitched innings in which he probably still has a decent amount of gas in the tank, so be it.

I think if Yo had a game that escalated into the "super-brilliant" range?90 pitches over 9 innings, for instance, the braintrust would see that as fine.

I think it's pretty obvious that when Wise pitches, he doesn't pitch for AT LEAST one day, usually two.

So when you pitch Wise, you pretty much waste him for the next 2 games (3 including the one he comes in).

When given the chance, I think it makes MOST sense to just let him finish the game that he is brought into. It keeps everyone else fresh, and it's really not wasting anything because he can't pitch for a day or 2 anyways.

I think if Yo had a game that escalated into the "super-brilliant" range?90 pitches over 9 innings, for instance, the braintrust would see that as fine.

If YoGa had that going, it would probably be a no-no/perfect game situation. Ned would never be let back into town if he pulled the pitcher in that situation.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

I wonder if they aren't limiting Parra's appearances for a start or two in place of YoGa down the line if Sheets is out more on the 6 week side of the 4-6 week prediction. I'd make sense to keep Parra up for emergency purposes but try to use Parra and YoGa like Menkins a Parga if you will. It'd be a good way to limit both of thier innings and see what both of them can do as a starter. It would also keep Villy in his much needed role as bullpen workhorse.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Quote:
New Post Re: Use of Matt Wise For what it's worth, I checked the game logs, and Wise hasn't thrown that many pitches in a game since 2001. So it's definitely aberrant in that sense.
Interesting, I figured he would have pitched more in those "Johnny Wholestaff" games in '03 where he started, but only went 3 innings or so.

Archived