Brewer Fanatic

Opening Day memories

moofnelson

In honor of one of the most enjoyable days of the year, here are a few opening days memories of mine:

1. My first opening day memory: Sixto Lezcano hitting a grand slam in the bottom of the ninth, his second home run of the game, to beat the Red Sox. Thirty five years ago!! Wow, I'm getting old.

2. 1992. Brewers vs. Twins. Myself, my brother and his wife make the six hour trip to attend our first ever opening day game. I don't remember much. I think the Brewers lost. What I do remember is, standing by the Brewers dugout during bp, and having Robin Yount walk off the field not 10 feet in front of us. I yelled "Robin," he looked up at us, and my brother snapped his picture. He then disappeared into the dugout. My brother, though, had left the lens cap on.

Community Moderator

It seems like every time I go to Opening Day there are awesome memories. I've only been to five and four of them were very memorable.

-Glendon Rusch's 2-run HR on Opening Night 2002 (the highlight of the year since they lost the next 7)

-3TO's 2 bombs in 2005 (won 3rd row tickets that year)

-Bill Hall's 2 bombs in 2008

-Rickie's huge game-tying double in 2009 vs the Cubs

-2010: finally a bad game but great weather

I've been to every one since I was a little kid, my dad used to call me in sick for school. I've hit 20 or so in a row....they tend to blend together after awhile...but a few that stand out, I apologize I can't recall the years.

We turned a triple play against the Cubs one year, I believe this was still actually at County Stadium.

The weather last year was absurd, we lost, but it was like 70 and sunny.

Branyans scoreboard bomb

Glendon Rusch's first start as a Brewer, went yard and threw a complete game.

The first game at Miller Park

Sadly, those are the only ones that stand out, I don't remember many as a kid. Though I know for a fact I've been there in the snow.

The only opening day I've been to was in 2004. The Brewers were playing the Astros and hung with them through the 5th. Then Wes Obermueller remembered he was Wes Obermueller and gave up 3, Ben Ford never forgot he was Ben Ford and gave up 5 more without recording an out and that was the game. Brewers ended up losing 13-7.

The only opening day I've been to was in 2004. The Brewers were playing the Astros and hung with them through the 5th. Then Wes Obermueller remembered he was Wes Obermueller and gave up 3, Ben Ford never forgot he was Ben Ford and gave up 5 more without recording an out and that was the game. Brewers ended up losing 13-7.
Wes Obermueller and Ben Ford- on opening day, none the less? Good God, I must have repressed one from my memory. And to think that people are worried about shortstop and the Gomez/Morgan situation in the outfield.

My first Opening Day was 2009. We were in Section 130, I think. Great ending to the game when Rickie scored the winning run and Koyie Hill (catcher for the sCrUBS), spiked the ball after Rickie was safe. Great ending to that day.

Archived