Brewer Fanatic

Your 2011 Nashville Sounds

Mass Haas
Brewer Fanatic Staff

Indications are that we will begin to see some formal minor league roster announcements as early as Thursday (perhaps not all on the same day) -- gee, it's not like there's a little something going on in Cincinnati that might hold our interest otherwise.

So whether it's Toby, Eric, or myself -- or more likely one of our readers -- feel free to link to any formal notices you see here. Don't worry about the initial post format, we'll pretty that up with an edit later if need be.

As you might know, we use the "Your 2011" threads to post and link to feature stories that are outside the scope of game activity covered in the Daily Link Report. Each feature story is then tied back to and linked to that player's Brewerfan Player Index page for future reference (check out Hunter Morris' page here, including article links towards the bottom of the page). All the links from the past two years should be "active", others from prior years may not be, as we had linked directly to the newspaper sites previously.

These threads have become among the most popular for viewing here, and we look forward to kicking them off formally.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Staff
You can download the entire Nashville Media Guide in .pdf format via this link -- now keep in mind that like any media guide, it is prepared in advance based on who would likely be with the team, thus Erick Almonte leads off alphabetically. So it should not be considered an official roster list, which should be available very soon.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

By Nashville Sounds

NASHVILLE - The Nashville Sounds - the Triple-A affiliate of the Milwaukee Brewers - have announced their tentative Opening Day roster, a group highlighted by 14 returning players from the 2010 squad and seven members of Milwaukee's 40-man roster.

Three of the Brewers' top 10 prospects (as ranked by Baseball America) will open the season in Nashville, highlighted by top prospect and right-handed pitcher Mark Rogers. The former first round draft pick went 6-8 with a 3.71 ERA, and 111 strikeouts in 24 starts for the Double-A Huntsville Stars last season, setting career highs in wins, innings pitched, starts, and strikeouts before making one start in Music City and joining the Brewers in September. The 25-year-old has also been recognized by the publication as having the best fastball in the Milwaukee farm system.

Rogers will also be joined by fellow prospect and infielder Eric Farris (#7 prospect) and right-handed pitcher Amaury Rivas (#10 prospect), who was a 2010 mid-season Southern League All-Star and is recognized as having the best changeup in the Milwaukee chain.

Fourteen players return to Music City from the 2010 Sounds squad, including starting pitchers Josh Butler, Marco Estrada, Sam Narron, and Chase Wright; relievers Tim Dillard, Robert Hinton, and 2010 PCL All-Star Mike McClendon; catchers Patrick Arlis and Martin Maldonado; infielders Farris and Mat Gamel; and PCL All-Star outfielder and 2010 Fan Favorite Brendan Katin.

Katin has spent the past three seasons in a Nashville uniform and is just 23 home runs and 46 RBIs behind Chad Hermansen for the top spot on the Sounds' all-time career leaderboard. Gamel will also return to anchor the Sounds' lineup while making a defensive transition to first base.

Sounds pitching coach Rich Gale has a veteran staff to work with in 2011, as 11 of the 14 Nashville hurlers have Major League experience. Narron, who led Sounds pitchers with nine victories in 2010 and 2008, is joined by Butler, Estrada, Wright, and newcomer Frankie De La Cruz in the rotation.

In his fifth consecutive season with the Sounds, Dillard currently ranks third in Sounds history in innings pitched (453.1), is tied for third in wins (30), and is sixth in strikeouts (263).

Two additional recognizable faces to return to Nashville are catcher Mike Rivera and reliever Mark DiFelice. Rivera ranks ninth in Sounds history with 45 career home runs over his 216 games in a Nashville uniform from 2005-07 and was selected as the starting catcher on the 2006 PCL mid-season All-Star team. DiFelice previously appeared for the Sounds from 2007-08 and posted a 9-3 record and 3.16 ERA in 23 outings.

Knoxville native and former MTSU standout Brett Carroll will join the Sounds this season in the outfield. Acquired during spring training, the 28-year-old has spent parts of the last three seasons with the Florida Marlins while also visiting Greer as a member of the Albuquerque Isotopes and New Orleans Zephyrs.

Another new addition is outfielder Brandon Boggs, who enjoyed a stellar year in the Pacific Coast League in 2010 while playing for the Oklahoma City RedHawks (AAA-Rangers). The 28-year-old batted .290 with 10 home runs and 50 RBIs in 103 games while finishing third in the PCL with a .406 on-base percentage, and sixth with 72 walks before earning a late-season promotion to Texas.

Three players will make their first stop at the Class AAA level with the Sounds in 2010: Rivas, infielder Zelous Wheeler, and outfielder Caleb Gindl.

Manager Don Money returns for his third season at the helm in Music City and will be joined on the Nashville bench by his entire staff from last year: pitching coach Rich Gale, hitting coach Sandy Guerrero, athletic trainer Dave Yeager, and strength & conditioning coach Andrew Emmick.

The tentative 2011 Nashville Sounds Opening Day roster is available at the link below. Three roster moves will have to be made before Thursday's season opener to reduce the Nashville roster to the 24-man active limit.

Media day at Greer Stadium will occur at 3:00 p.m. on Wednesday afternoon prior to the team's final preseason workout, which begins at 3:45 p.m.

The Sounds open their 34th season on Thursday, April 7 at Greer Stadium with a 7:05 p.m. matchup against the visiting New Orleans Zephyrs, the Triple-A affiliate of the Florida Marlins.

Ticket packages are currently on sale. Call (615) 690-HITS or visit the Sounds' website at www.nashvillesounds.com/tickets to order or for more information.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

No mentions in the Nashville / Huntsville lists of relievers Justin James (40-man roster) and Zack Segovia, nor INF Edwin Maysonet and C Shawn Riggans.

Reliever Jim Henderson hasn't been mentioned for AAA or AA. Neither has INF's Chris Nowak or Anderson Machado. None of those players will be below AA.

So we're definitely going to hear about other moves, either DL or releases. No wonder the Sounds' press release still says "tentative". After all, minor league spring training games continue through this weekend, someone could get a dinger requiring a DL stint.

Just tweeted almost the same thing on my Twitter feed.

Great minds, Jim, great minds.

Edit: To make this post substantive... I'll be interested to see who the Sounds go with as a closer. Justin James would seem to make the most sense, even though he isn't yet tentatively on the roster.

Who wants to put odds on Patrick Arlis starting the year on the "DL"?

Marco Estrada will not be on the Sounds' opening day roster unless the Brewers have a last second change of heart for their 5th starter slot. Estrada should be summoned to Milwaukee the day before the Sounds' season begins. Of course, the Sounds will get a reliever back from the Brewers in all likelihood.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Turns out the Sounds didn't include every single player's name on the press release. They just posted a pdf file of the roster.

James, Segovia, Henderson, Maysonet, Nowak and Machado are all listed. That's 27 players, so three players will need to go on an inactive list of some sort.

Not sure if this rule is still in effect for 2011 --

AAA and AA clubs are allowed to put 24 players on the Active List for the first 30 days of the season, 23 players on the Active List from the 31st day until August 10th and then 24 players again for the rest of the season, including the playoffs. For A teams, the Active List limit is 25 players.

Brewer Fanatic Staff
We should also note that each affiliate is at the mercy of MiLB.com when it comes to updating the MiLB.com roster pages. It wouldn't be surprising to not see those updated until Opening Day next Thursday, which was the case last year.

I'm interested to see how playing time is handed out in the infield. Roenicke did say Farris was going to start off as the primary 2B, but that was when Luis Cruz was still in the picture. I'd much rather see Farris at SS and Maysonet at 2B.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

FYI, the Sounds remind me --

Triple-A baseball did away with the fluctuating 24/23 roster limit rules several years ago. Nashville’s roster will stand at maximum 24 active players throughout the entire season.

AA's should be the same. Now if I can only remember that for next year.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Nashville Sounds announce roster for 2011 season

Thursday will be season opener

Greg Sullivan, The Tennessean

Don Money begins his third year as Nashville Sounds manager planning on having success with strong pitching, particularly from the bullpen.

The Milwaukee Brewers' Triple-A franchise opens the season with an eight-game home stand beginning Thursday against New Orleans at 7:05 PM.

"We'd better play defense and pitch," Money said. "I think our bullpen will be very good and hopefully our starting pitching will be strong, too."

According to Baseball America, Mark Rogers is the Brewers' top prospect. Money said he expects Rogers to get the opening-night start on the mound.

The Brewers' first-round pick in 2004 was 6-8 with a 3.71 ERA in 111.2 innings at Double-A Huntsville in 2010. He made one start with the Sounds and allowed one run in 4 1/3 innings.

It is conceivable that the rotation could be bolstered, at least temporarily, if the Brewers decide to have 2009 Cy Young Award winner Zack Greinke rehab in Nashville at some point.

There is just one left-hander in the bullpen — closer candidate Chase Wright — but Money said he doesn't foresee that causing too many matchup problems.

"You don't just take a lefty to have a lefty," Money said. "You take a lefty that can get an out."

The Sounds may need a strong defense, too, because the lineup may not have as much power.

"I don't think we're going to win too many slugfests," Money said. "I think our defense should be pretty good."

Brendan Katin, who tied for the team lead last year with 26 homers, will be a backup outfielder, pinch-hitter and designated hitter because of nagging knee troubles, Money said.

The team lost last year's other top power hitter, Joe Koshansky, to free agency. So when Katin is not in the game, Money said the team will lack a true cleanup hitter.

Money does, however, expect big things from Mat Gamel, who is being converted to a first baseman after playing primarily third base and outfield. He's hit .293 in 162 games with 25 homers and 118 RBIs with the Sounds over the last three seasons. In 75 games with Milwaukee, he is hitting .241 with five homers and 21 RBIs.

Money said Gamel and Katin are each capable of hitting between 15 and 25 home runs.

Outfielder Caleb Gindl, who is 5-foot-9 and hit .272 at Huntsville in 2010, is expected to be the leadoff hitter, but could see days off when the team faces a tough lefty.

Wright closer candidate? And Katin's knee (or knees) is/are barking...

As noted in the Major League Forum, Brandon Kintzler has been optioned to Nashville. He might be the Sounds' closer, though he also might not be in Nashville too long.

His arrival changes the complexion of the Nashville pitching staff somewhat, though I'm sure the Brewers were planning on this very scenario. Assuming Estrada gets the call to Milwaukee, it all but firms up a rotation of Rivas-Rogers-de la Cruz-Butler-Narron.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Sounds pitcher looks to Milwaukee

Sounds pitcher works to earn his way to Milwaukee

by Greg Sullivan, The Tennessean

With memories of his first big-league experience still fresh in his mind, Sounds starter Mark Rogers said he is ready to earn a permanent spot with the Milwaukee Brewers this season.

But in the interim, Nashville figures to benefit.

"I'll try and help the Sounds win every fifth day for now," said Rogers, who likely will pitch in the second game of the season Friday at Greer Stadium against New Orleans.

"That's my goal at this point and I'm excited about coming to Nashville."

Named the Brewers' top prospect by Baseball America, Rogers got a surprise September call-up to Milwaukee after spending most of his career battling injuries and laboring in the low minors. He had a 1.80 ERA over 10 innings, which included two starts among his four games.

Drafted fifth overall in 2004, the 25-year-old right-hander is more seasoned than most top prospects. So while he doesn't mind the recognition he's gotten coming into this season, he understands the expectations that come with it.

"With those accolades come responsibility," Rogers said. "You still have to keep grinding. I'm still going to have to earn everything I get."

Sounds Manager Don Money welcomes that sort of attitude.

"He did good in September with Milwaukee," Money said. "He's got to come to Triple-A and show the folks in Milwaukee he's ready to go back. He's got to step up and get the job done. Now it's up to him."

Rogers will begin a season at Triple-A for the first time, but there was a time when that seemed unlikely. He missed the entire 2007 and 2008 seasons recovering from a pair of shoulder surgeries.

"(The Brewers) have definitely been good to me," Rogers said. "They gave me a second chance. Now I have to go there and make the most of it."

Rogers spent the majority of last season at Double-A Huntsville, where he was 6-8 with a 3.71 ERA in 24 starts. He did come up to Nashville for one spot start in the middle of last season, an outing he remembers fondly.

"We ended up winning the game, but I got a no-decision," Rogers said. "The atmosphere was good. That's what stuck out to me."

Having grown up in Maine, Rogers appreciates the warmer weather, and he feels somewhat at home because he has an aunt who lives not too far outside Nashville. Now he's just ready to pitch.

"I still have the same approach," Rogers said. "I stick with my fastball. I'm a power pitcher. I have to have that attitude."

Just knowing he is now just one step from the majors, Rogers also said he now doesn't mind that he gave up what looked like promising careers in hockey and soccer.

Out of high school, he had a soccer scholarship offer from Duke and was recruited to play hockey for Dartmouth.

"I love (baseball). It's given so much to me and my family," Rogers said. "Hopefully, I will get to play a long time."

Mark Rogers, who pitched for the Huntsville Stars in 2010, will open the 2011 season with the Sounds. / Huntsville Times / File Photo

http://cmsimg.tennessean.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=DN&Date=20110406&Category=SPORTS04&ArtNo=104060349&Ref=AR&MaxW=300&Border=0

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Who's on first? It's Sounds' Gamel

Infielder crosses to other corner

by Greg Sullivan, The Tennessean

Before this spring Mat Gamel had not played first base with any regularity since Little League.

But with Brewers first baseman Prince Fielder's long-term future still up in the air, Gamel hopes his position switch will expedite his return to the big leagues and, this time, keep him there.

"I told (Milwaukee), basically, I'd pitch if they need me to," said Gamel, who has played primarily third base. "I don't care. I just want to be there."

In the meantime, though, Nashville's lineup should benefit from Gamel's potent left-handed bat.

The Jacksonville, Fla., native hit .309 with 13 home runs in 311 at-bats last season in Nashville before earning his third major-league call-up in three seasons. He will start at first base and bat third tonight as the Sounds host New Orleans for the season opener.

Fielder recently began yet another season with trade speculation rampant. The former Sounds slugger will hit free agency following this season under his current contract.

Regardless of what happens to Fielder, Gamel said learning first base only enhances his stock as a prospective major leaguer.

"The more positions you can play the better your chances of helping a team out," he said. "The footwork's a little different. Other than that you're still just catching the ball. You've got to pick the ball out of the dirt, but if you can pick the ball at third you can pick it at first."

The new first baseman is a fast learner, said Sounds Manager Don Money, who did not shy away from a position switch himself.

After a full season at shortstop with Philadelphia, Money was sent to three different instructional leagues to learn third base once the Phillies chose to give his shortstop job to sure-handed rookie Larry Bowa in 1970.

While Bowa went on to post the best career fielding percentage of any National League shortstop, Money still holds the major-league record for consecutive errorless games (88) at third.

"When they want you to learn it, you learn it," Money said. "I told him, 'Mat, just look in front of you. I don't know what they're doing with Prince. I don't think anybody knows what they're doing with Prince or what Prince wants to do yet.'

"It could happen this year in July before the trade deadline. It could happen over the winter. It could not happen, but if you learn how to play first you increase your value."

While Gamel has struggled defensively at times during his career, Money said the move to first could help him cut down on his errors. Gamel had seven in 27 games with the Brewers in 2009 and has 174 in 568 minor league games with an .889 fielding percentage.

"His Achilles' heel was his throwing," Money said. "You don't have to throw the ball as much (at first). You just catch the ball, step on the bag or flip it to the pitcher."

Gamel had been apprehensive about a possible move, according to Money, but said he is looking forward to tonight's debut at his new position.

"I've been here parts of four seasons now and there are a lot of familiar faces," Gamel said. "It's good to get back on the field, put on a uniform and play for something again. It's just opening up another opportunity for me to get my foot in the door."

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Outfielder in position to make a run at Sounds' career hitting records

By Jerome Boettcher, Nashville City Paper

Brendan Katin is on the verge of making Nashville Sounds history.

The 28-year-old is just 24 home runs and 47 RBIs away from setting the career records in each for the Triple-A franchise.

While it is a great accomplishment, Katin realizes he is close to breaking the records because of what he hasn’t been able to do — make the jump to Nashville’s parent club, the Milwaukee Brewers.

“Obviously, it is cool. It just means I have been here too long,” Katin said laughing. “It is kind one of those bittersweet deals: you break it but you have to be here four years to do it.”

Katin begins his seventh minor league season when the Sounds host New Orleans, the Florida Marlins Triple-A affiliate, at 7:05 PM Thursday at Greer Stadium in the season opener for both teams. Katin, a 6-foot-1, 223-pound outfielder, was drafted in the 23rd round by the Brewers in 2005.

The native of Fort Meyers, Fla., went to the University of Miami and spent his first two seasons of professional baseball bouncing round. He split time in 2005 between Rookie League and Low-A. The next season he started at Advanced-A and finished at Double-A affiliate Huntsville (Ala.). In 2007, he spent the entire year in Huntsville and belted 24 home runs and knocked in 94 RBIs — both career bests at the time.

Despite a then career-high 163 strikeouts and just a .258 batting average, Katin was promoted to Nashville in 2008.

With the Sounds, he has hit 69 home runs and driven in 240 runs, trailing only Chad Hermansen (1998-2002). But he has battled inconsistency during those seasons. In 2009, for example, when he was named a Pacific Coast League Midseason All-Star and racked up 92 RBIs, he also struck out 164 times, just two off the Sounds’ single-season record.

“When he is hot, he can carry a club. When he is cold, he is just as cold as ice,” Sounds manager Don Money said. “Some guys it just takes a little bit longer to get to the big leagues and some guys don’t make it at all.”

Katin thought he showed he belonged at the next level last year when he improved his average to .286 — his best mark since 2006 — hit a career-best 26 home runs, knocked in 76 runs and struck out just 91 times. A knee injury limited him to just 94 games.

Plus, making it tougher for Katin to break through is the fact that All-Stars and Brewers outfielders Ryan Braun and Corey Hart have been in his way.

“I thought I was close last year, but obviously I didn’t get the call up. Hopefully if I do what I did last year somebody will notice, whether it is with Milwaukee or another team,” Katin said. “It is definitely frustrating but I just have to control what I can control.”

Katin’s at-bats, however, probably will be limited, at least early on. His right knee required surgery after he tried to avoid a tag at first base, landed awkwardly and buckled his knee. He said his meniscus “ended up flipping over and sitting where my ACL was.”

After months of rehabilitation, Katin said his knee “has its days” still, with stiffness and arthritis flaring up.

“I have to learn how to deal with. It is not going to get any better,” he said. “It is just managing the pain.”

Money, who enters his third year as the Sounds’ manager and 14th with the Brewers’ organization, said Katin won’t be an everyday starter. He’ll get most of his opportunities off the bench and at the designated hitter position when the Sounds play an American League team.

A better part of a decade into his professional baseball career, this isn’t what Katin expected. But he also knows it could be worse.

“I would have hoped to be in the big leagues before this,” Katin said. “But I can’t complain. Fortunately for me, the Brewers’ Triple-A is in Nashville. I could have been stuck in a lot of other places. It hasn’t been too bad. Obviously the big leagues would have been better. But so far I have had a lot of fun. I can’t really complain.”

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Country music star is good-luck charm for Sounds

by Greg Sullivan, the Tennessean

Emmylou Harris is known as both a Grammy Award-winning singer-songwriter and one of the most prolific backing vocalists of her generation.

But in the clubhouse of her local baseball team, the 64 year-old is now being revered as a human rabbit's foot by athletes in a sport long known for its superstitions.

"Maybe she's good luck," new Sounds third baseman Taylor Green said.

Green sure needed it. He was called up to Nashville on Sunday from Double-A Huntsville and had a miserable Triple-A debut.

He went 0-for-4 and misplayed a bunt on defense that contributed to New Orleans' winning run in a 14-inning Sounds defeat.

Then when Harris arrived at Greer Stadium with her dog and an entourage the following afternoon for a promotional photo shoot, Green was roused from a clubhouse card game by a group of more-tenured Sounds.

"They said you're the new guy, you're going out there," Green said. "I did my duty. We just stood there and took pictures with her dog and that's about it."

The next time Harris arrives at the ballpark, though, all the Sounds may line up to do the photos with her.

Green hit a home run in his very next at-bat for his first Triple-A hit and is 4-for-12 with two doubles after Thursday's 6-5 loss to Oklahoma City to go with sterling defense since his bad play Monday night.

"Maybe I need to take more pictures with her," Green said. "I'm not too sure, but that was pretty neat. My parents have a bunch of albums of hers."

Sounds second baseman Eric Farris said he is now having second thoughts about his decision to pass photo obligations on to the most junior team member, who had to follow orders to keep with clubhouse tradition.

"They asked me to do it but I don't really like dogs," Farris said.

"So I tried to stay away from that one. But I figured, 'Taylor just got here, why don't we get him some press?'

"It kind makes me wish I went out there and took the pictures now because he's been tearing the cover off the ball. Let's just hope he keeps it up."

While Green, a 24-year-old British Columbia native, may try his best to forget his Triple-A debut, he is not likely to forget his first big Nashville moment and what has been happening since.

"Those types of people have a different aura around them," Green said.

"You can feel it and it's pretty neat."

Country singer Emmylou Harris (center) has been a good-luck charm for the Sounds in recent games. / Submitted photo

http://cmsimg.tennessean.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=DN&Date=20110415&Category=SPORTS04&ArtNo=104150311&Ref=AR&MaxW=640&Border=0

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

How can the Nashville Sounds not have Elvis as their mascot? Yeah, OK, that is Memphis, but close enough. That would make more sense than a Lion... especially with a musically themed team.

But I'd imagine that would give them all kinds of neat promotional ideas:

- Sideburn night

- Blue Suede shoe night

- Hunka-Hunka- burnin' Jalapeno Poppers in the concession stand

Not to mention all kinds of options for 7th inning stretch music.

Brewer Fanatic Staff
That would make more sense than a Lion... especially with a musically themed team.

I love the story on how Ozzie the Cougar (not lion) became the Sounds' mascot.

WikipediaWhen Amerisports Companies LLC, took control of the team in April 1997, they decided that a mascot was needed. Since the group also owned the Class A Kane County Cougars minor league team, which had an extra mascot uniform, the surplus cougar outfit was sent to Nashville. After building a fan following during Ozzie’s first season, team management decided to make him the permanent mascot. Initially, the Ozzie costume was identical to the brown cougar costume which is still in use by Kane County, but was replaced by the current yellow outfit in 1998.

Archived