Brewer Fanatic

Your 2011 Wisconsin Timber Rattlers -- Latest: More from Instructional League

Mass Haas
Brewer Fanatic Staff

Catch as Catch Can

by Bob Brainerd, sports32.com (Time Warner Cable)http://www.sports32.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/Holle-2.jpg

Photos by Brad Krause

http://www.sports32.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/20110417_272-199x300.jpg

What compels a baseball player to offer up his services behind the plate? Who raises their hand willingly to strap on the tools of ignorance, squat down and brace themselves to be peppered, battered and bruised?

“As long as I can remember,” said Wisconsin Timber Rattlers Catcher Tony Pechek. “I have a picture on my phone, to this day, that I use as my background…me as a kid with all of my catcher’s gear on when I was nine years old.”

The 24-year-old Colorado native didn’t acquire his desire by training his eye on any number of popular catchers in the 1990’s. Instead, Pechek found inspiration in the form of a fictional catcher, Jake Taylor, from the movie “Major League.”

“Even as a young kid I got to watch those movies…good parenting I guess,” joked Pechek. “I always liked catching and surprisingly, because of it, I actually lost a lot of speed. I was actually quicker than I am now.”

Pechek stayed fleet of foot by dancing all over the diamond, taking his shots on the infield at second and third and then some corner outfield action when he was in high school at Pueblo South, where Pechek was tabbed First Team All-State as a senior.

“I kind of moved everywhere except for shortstop and centerfield,” said Pechek. “But catching, that’s where I feel at home.”

Finding a post prep baseball home behind the dish is another story.

Make that, a series of stories.

“I did not take a very good journey through college,” explained Pechek. “I started off at Wichita State (2006) for a year and a half, had 23 at bats and zero success. I came back into what I thought was going to be a backup role playing some first base and DH-ing a lot more, but that changed in the fall, so I left and went to a junior college, Central Arizona (2007) and loved it there. I loved the coaches, but from there I had three offers…go back home and play, go to Northern Colorado or Creighton in Omaha, which is in the same conference as Wichita State.”

This was a chance for Pechek to block balls in the dirt at the Division 1 level once again, maybe even exact a touch of revenge against the Shockers program where things just never stayed in sync. But the Blue Jays couldn’t provide a place for Pechek to nestle in for keeps.

“They gave me every opportunity and I started out real slow, my playing time diminished and my relationship with the coaches wasn’t flourishing,” said Pechek. “My dad lost his job so I couldn’t afford to go back…I couldn’t get a loan. I finished up my last year at home at a Division 2 school (Colorado State University-Pueblo).”

With all the bouncing around, perhaps Pechek was wondering if he erred when he didn’t sign with the Detroit Tigers back in 2005 when he was drafted out of high school in the 41st round. His post college agenda included playing with a men’s summer league team, more recreational than competitive, and Pechek playing all over the diamond that included a cameo on the hill. The 2009 Major League draft came and went but didn’t call his name. Tony Pechek was moving on, and up.

“I’m up mountain climbing in Colorado, a 14,000 footer, get off the mountain and there’s like eight voice mail messages,” said Pechek. “I’m thinking, either (my sister’s) wedding is off or someone died. It’s a call from the Milwaukee Brewers asking if I was interested in coming out and playing in Arizona. I call them back and go, yeah, I’m very much interested, but what position am I playing? I had no idea when they saw me play.”

http://www.sports32.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/20110518_267-199x300.jpg

The Brewers request was to put Pechek behind the plate for good, and they also needed him in Arizona on a Saturday, the same day as the wedding. Pechek explained he was in the wedding and got a reprieve, signing a free agent deal and strapping on the gear one day later. One year later, Pechek was in Helena, a notch up the Brewers food chain, where progress took a spiral turn when he injured his wrist diving for a foul ball, landing in an awkward position and dealing with a nagging sensation the rest of the season. Pechek’s offensive numbers suffered, but he remained focused on his task behind the mask.

“My offense is suffering no doubt about it,” said Pechek. “I don’t know if it is because of the defense or confidence right now. There are probably a number of different things why my offense isn’t very good. But I feel like I’ve gotten pretty good at being able to control what happens on the defensive side. When I come back from the dugout the offense is put away. It’s about switching gears.”

This conqueror of mountains continued his assent by making the Class A Timber Rattlers roster in 2011 as Wisconsin’s third catcher. But when former second round selection Cameron Garfield got nicked up, Pechek was able to catch on and catch more often than he anticipated.

“I’m the oldest guy on the team which is kind of funny,” said Pechek. “It’s just getting to know your pitchers more than anything, knowing if you need to go out there and coddle them, tap them on the butt and say that they are the best, or going out there and getting in their face and say this is the way it’s going to be.”

Pechek has an infectious personality and a veteran presence that allows him to corner a younger pitcher during a conference on the mound with a businesslike approach. His speech is straightforward and no-nonsense.

http://www.sports32.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/20110417_408-200x300.jpg

“You’ve got one of two choices, either pony up or we’ll get you out of here and get someone in here that can,” barks Pechek. “I think it really comes from the work I do with the pitchers outside of the game, catching their side bullpens and always being available for them to have that trust in me when I’m back there putting down the right fingers or saying to him hey, I know this isn’t your best pitch right now, but this guy can’t hit it.”

Catching is a true love/hate relationship for Pechek. He adores the position with a passion, but isn’t a fan of the toll it takes on his psyche.

“You wear stuff on your sleeve more so,” explained Pechek. “The mental side of it is a rough grind day in and day out. I had a bad pitch call that ended up tying up the game and I sat there wearing it on my sleeve because I know I called the wrong pitch. I take games personally…It’s more of a mental thing because the physical part sucks, but you sign up for it and take your beatings and it’s just part of the job.”

Understanding that his job description also includes being a part time psychiatrist to the talented young arms he is catching, Pechek uses some of his down time to get a vibe that might help during game time.

“You learn most of that just sitting around the clubhouse playing cards or talking to them about family members,” said Pechek. “You can learn a lot just becoming friends with them more than anything. First instincts of someone do carry over, but I really believe you get to know the way they’re going to be on the field by hanging out with them off the field.”

And this is where Pechek shines. Approachable and chatty, Pechek carries himself with the confidence to easily flip his switch and adapt to the scenery.

“I know when you have to be serious and when you don’t have to be,” said Pechek. “When I’m sitting out in the bullpen, I’m a different person then when I’m catching a game because I’m a competitive, tough-nosed person. No one’s going to hurt me or my pitcher and that’s the way I am. But when I get away from it I like to screw around and have a good time. That’s my personality.

“I’m talkative so I get pulled into the kangaroo court box for stupid things I say just to keep people happy. I think my fines are going to be pretty high this season but that’s part of my personality. I just try to remember to have fun because it’s just a game.

“I’ve got a job that not many people can ever say they have had or ever will have.”

http://www.sports32.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/20110518_229-200x300.jpg

His father, Wayne, had that same opportunity, a 1976 draftee of San Francisco who played four seasons in the Giants organization, but never tasted the absolute tip of the peak. His son, the mountain climber, dreams that he will someday be able to catch on in the big leagues and reach that summit.

“There’s always that, I think that’s why you play this game, to move up and experience something new and ultimately reach that goal that you set for yourself as a kid, and that’s being a major leaguer,” said Pechek. “As you see yourself play through and measure other people’s talents and skills and play against big name guys, rehab with major leaguers, it’s a very humbling sport…not forgiving. But it’s always fun to see having an opportunity to move up.”

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply
By Adam McCalvy / MLB.com

NEW YORK -- Brewers officials say they have not given up on Minor League right-hander Eric Arnett, a former first-round Draft pick who continues to struggle as a pro.

In his second start back at Class A Wisconsin on Friday, Arnett allowed five runs (four earned) on eight hits in 4 2/3 innings of an 8-2 loss at Peoria.

In parts of three seasons since the Brewers plucked Arnett from Indiana University in the first round of the 2009 Draft, he is 7-17 with a 5.91 ERA. He has a 1.55 WHIP in nearly 200 professional innings.

"We still have hope for Eric," Brewers amateur scouting director Bruce Seid said last week. "You have to remember that Eric was a late bloomer at Indiana. It took him until his third year to kind of put it together. I think Eric got into our organization, and, as we've talked about many times before, he put a lot of pressure on himself. He got off to a slow start, and it kind of tailspinned for him.

"Eric, he's made strides this year. He's found a little bit of his velocity back. He's gotten bigger, he's gotten stronger, his breaking pitch has gotten more firm.

"We look at Eric as a young guy still," Seid said. "We look at him as a guy that has a chance to, maybe a couple of years down the road, really find his top-end ceiling. He's made some strides, he's gained some confidence and we still feel that Eric can be of some value to the Brewers down the road."

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Timber Rattlers profile: No. 22 Eric Arnett, pitcher

compiled by Mike Woods, Post-Crescent staff writer

Quick hits

- Position: Pitcher.

- Height, weight: 6-5, 230.

- Bats/throws: Right/right.

- Resides: Pataskala, Ohio.

- Notes: Selected by the Brewers in the first round (26th overall) in the 2009 First-Year Player Draft … Was the Big Ten Co-Pitcher of the Year and a first-team all-Big Ten selection during his junior season at Indiana, when he went 12-2 with a 2.50 ERA … Also played football and basketball in high school, earning all- conference honors in both sports.

Favorites

- MLB team growing up: "Cincinnati Reds. They were the closest one to home."

- MLB player growing up: "I'd say Barry Larkin."

- Sport other than baseball: "Football. I was a wide receiver/safety in high school. I had a couple of D-I offers, mostly MAC schools. And a couple of Big East schools."

- Thing about Pataskala: "You know everybody. Eight thousand people in the town. One school. Everyone knows you and everyone comes to sporting events so it's kind of a cool thing."

- Musical artist: "George Strait."

- Thing you own: "My plane. A Cessna 182. I'm working on being a pilot, but I've got a ways to go. My dad is a pilot."

- NFL team: "Cincinnati Bengals."

Q&A

Q: Growing up near Columbus, how would you describe a Buckeyes fan?

A: "Their sports, that's the only thing they think matters in Columbus and pretty much all of Ohio. I don't even think they even count any other schools. They always think they're No. 1, no matter what. But they're very supportive and very loyal. But if you don't win, they don't like you too much."

Q: So how'd you end up at Indiana?

A: "Actually, I was going to OU (Ohio University) to play football. That's where I was planning on going. It was about April my senior year of baseball I decided to stay with baseball. Indiana was the first school to offer me a scholarship. I went on my visit. They offered me a scholarship and I took it that day. I had a couple of schools lined up after that but I couldn't turn it down."

Q: What was your experience like at Indiana overall?

A: "It was a great experience. I didn't know much about it. Growing up I was a Buckeyes fan. But I really enjoyed it. Got to play a little bit of basketball and met some interesting people. It was good."

Q: How'd you end up on the basketball team?

A: "Junior year, going into the fall, Tom Crean heard about me a little bit. It was his first year (when IU had just one scholarship player returning) and he asked me to try out (as a walk-on). I had a strained hamstring so I really don't know how I really did in the tryout. But I ended up making the team and I went from there."

Q: Could you describe a Crean practice.

A: "It's intense. You never get used to them. You're going to be sore after every one of them. You do a lot of running. A lot of non-stop action. But it was fun."

Q: Given the history of Indiana basketball, how fun was it to be part of the program?

A: "Running out there in the candy-striped (warmup) pants, it was awesome. We didn't have a great year. I think it was one of Indiana's worst years in school history. But we still got 18,000 or so for every single game. They're very loyal fans. Very supportive fans. I'm pretty sure he's going to get things turned around this next year. He's the real deal."

Q: So what was draft day like?

A: "It was a good day. I actually had a draft party and I was able to be on TV (at MLB.com). And thank God I was on TV because there were about 150 people at the local restaurant in my hometown. It was crazy. It was kind of like hitting the game-winning shot in basketball or hitting the walk-off home run, just how the crowd went crazy. I didn't even hear my name, that's how loud the crowd was. I was getting a little nervous because I was the 26th pick and 30 were on TV, so I was hoping one of the last couple would be my name. But I had a good idea I was going to the Brewers and it was unbelievable."

Q: How'd you spend your first check?

A: "I bought a truck, actually up in Montana because there's no sales tax — took advantage of that while I was up there. And then just bought a bunch of polo shirts to wear."

Q: So how'd you get into aviation?

A: "My dad was always into it. My dad worked on helicopters in the Army. After that he went to OSU for aeronautical engineering. He never finished it but he's always been big on planes, all kinds.

"And my brother is actually at the Air Force Academy right now.

"Just growing up, my dad had a small Champ when he was out of high school and kept it all the way until I was born. But we'd rent planes, go for rides all the time, just something I grew up on."

Q: So why did you buy a plane if you don't have your pilot's license?

A: "It was more for my dad."

Q: Have you guys ever gone to the EAA?

A: "He's shown me a video on it. It's a pretty cool thing to see, with all the planes coming in at one time and stuff. But we haven't had a chance to go to one."

Q: What's your favorite sports moment you've been a part of or watched?

A: "Other than getting drafted, in baseball we made it to the state finals for the first time in school history. That was pretty cool to see all the fans come. We got a lot of support and that was a pretty cool thing for our town."

Q: What was the best advice you've received?

A: "Get a changeup."

Q: Who told you that?

A: "Everyone. I never needed one in college but as soon as I got here that's what they all said, and that's the thing that will keep me as a starter."

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Hall Monitorby Bob Brainerd, sports32.com (Time Warner Cable)

Photos by Brad Krause

http://www.sports32.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Brooks-throw-close-199x300.jpg

Timber Rattlers pitcher Brooks Hall has learned to tune out the smack from his friends back home. You see, this native of South Carolina had a full ride on the table to play for his home state University of South Carolina Gamecocks…you know, the back-to-back National Champs?

“People say that to me all the time, a bunch of my buddies and old coaches, they give me crap all the time, you could have been a two-time National Champion!” laughed Hall, a fourth round draft pick of the Milwaukee Brewers in 2009. “But I like what I did. I made the decision to play and I can’t look back now.”

When Hall does sneak a peek at his childhood, he recalls a baseball environment that began the day he was born. On June 26th, 1990, Steven Brooks Hall came into the world dubbed with a middle name to honor his father’s idol.

“Brooks Robinson was his hero so he gave me that name, and I’ve always gone by Brooks, not Steven, which is my real first name,” said Hall. “No one’s ever really called me that, maybe just in school on the first day.”

It didn’t take long for Hall to tee it up and swing away at Tee Ball when he was only three. He followed up with coach pitch and then a team top heavy with buddies that traveled around the state. But his future on the mound was still in the distant future.

“When I was that young I liked hitting,” said Hall. “Some people, when they’re young, like to pitch but I liked to hit and play shortstop growing up. It was fun having all your friends together having a good time out there.

“It was an everyday thing, me and my dad outside throwing or something, taking ground balls and playing every weekend, just having fun back then trying to get here. This is my dream, so I was just working on it every day when I was younger.”

But the fun and games grew more businesslike as Hall sprouted. His offensive ability stood out, so much so that the lanky 6-6 hitter eventually punched his ticket to play on scholarship at South Carolina thanks to a quick bat that hit for average and power. The plan was to nurture his offensive skills with the Gamecocks and dabble in pitching out of the bullpen.

“I was playing third and shortstop and even going to go to South Carolina to be a utility guy and maybe close some,” said Hall. “But then before my senior year in high school I started working more on my pitching because scouts started saying I had a good arm and they wanted to see me pitch.”

http://www.sports32.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Brooks-pitch-300x200.jpg

Somewhat reluctantly, Hall put his lumber in the bat rack for good at T.L. Hanna High School in Anderson, South Carolina. The scouts were correct in their assessment…Hall blew the competition away, even tossing a perfect game with 12 strikeouts on March 23rd, 2009. Still, the All-State senior yearned for his days at the dish.

“Really hard for me,” said Hall. “I enjoyed my senior year in high school but it was tough to just focus on pitching. But now that I’ve been doing it for awhile I love it. I haven’t hit in two or three years so it might be hard to hit again, but I get to get back in it when I make it to Double A.”

Before Hall could ever entertain reviving his offensive skills again, he had to begin his professional journey strictly on the bump. Hall went 3-4 with a 5.44 ERA in 14 games (seven starts) for the Arizona League affiliate of the Brewers in his inaugural 2010 season, walking just 16 and striking out 43 in 46-plus innings of work.

“It was a little boring at first because, you control the game, but it’s just different when you’re out there playing short and hitting,” said Hall. “It’s just seeing the game a little different. You throw the ball up there and everybody has to make plays behind you when you were the one making plays and scoring runs for the team…now I have to keep them from scoring.

“It kind of helps being a hitter because when you face guys you can see things and say what would I do right here…what would I be thinking?”

While Hall’s head was getting a workout, his arm was growing more accustomed to erasing hitters. It was somewhat simple during his prep days, but no breeze in the minor leagues.

“Another thing that was hard was developing off-speed pitches…I never had any,” said Hall. “All I had was a fastball and never had trouble throwing a fastball for a strike. That’s all I needed in high school, but I’ve developed a changeup and a slider. It wasn’t very hard, just had to work on it a lot.

http://www.sports32.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Brooks-bullpen-199x300.jpg

“My body and my motion are better. I’m able to repeat it, and that’s all that pitching is, repeating your delivery and throwing the ball where you want to. Once you feel your body do that, it becomes natural, everything becomes instinct. I just look at the mitt, throw a strike and get ahead of the hitters.”

Hall made it look that elementary in his July 18th start against South Bend. With a Sports32 audience watching, Hall cobbled together a no-hitter into the seventh inning before giving up a blemish in the box score. The former slugging infielder may have morphed completely into a dominant pitcher that day.

“I’m feeling way more comfortable on the mound, way more focused and I actually know what I’m doing out there right now,” said Hall. “At the beginning of the year I knew what I was doing, but now I’m learning how to pitch and know exactly what I need to do out there. It’s making a lot of things easier for me.”

Hall made his debut with the Timber Rattlers on May 21st notching a win over Burlington by going five full innings in the first game of a doubleheader. He continues into the final weeks of the Midwest League season having never lost more than he won between starts.

“I just want to maintain what I’m doing now,” said Hall. “I want to keep getting better each day because hitters are getting tired so you’ve got to be the guy not getting tired and overcome that. Hitters are going to be giving away at bats right now so it’s my time to go out and have a big end to the season.”

Brooks Hall refuses to check the rear view mirror. He garnered an impressive paycheck to skip college and sign with the Brewers, but hasn’t made any outrageous purchases to date, unless you count his $1500 hunting bow, a small chunk of change out of his $700,000 deal. There is also no sign of Hall jumping ahead and trying to figure out his future. This is one pitcher whose ultimate baseball dream remains in check.

“Honestly, I don’t focus on that,” admitted Hall. “I focus on the day to day. If I do what I have to do every day here (Appleton) then it’ll happen. So I’m not really focused on the big picture yet, taking this day by day and year by year.

“When I get there it’s time to focus on if I want to have 25 wins in a season or do it big like that. That’s when it’s time to think about that.”

I really think his strikeout numbers will start to come as he grows as a pitcher. The article helps you realize how raw he really is. Kid has only been pitch three years and is still scratching surface for his off-speed. Future is bright for Brooks!

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Reliever Casey Medlen doing well for Timber Rattlers

by Mike Woods, Post-Crescent staff writer

GRAND CHUTE — There was the usual monkey business after the last out was recorded Thursday on Time Warner Field at Fox Cities Stadium.

The unusual part was there were actual monkeys riding dogs, chasing sheep into a pen. The idea was grand but the execution …

It certainly was not as good as the show Wisconsin Timber Rattlers reliever Casey Medlen put on a few minutes earlier. He closed out his second inning of relief by striking out the side and preserving the Rattlers' 5-2 victory over Kane County in Midwest League play.

It's been a whirlwind summer for Medlen, a 6-0, 155-pounder out of North Florida. He had all but given up on being drafted in June, but the Brewers plucked him in the 37th round.

He signed his contract that night, ordered a U-Haul and packed up his stuff in Jacksonville, Fla., and drove to his parents home in Orlando. A day later, he was on a 6:00 AM flight to Phoenix to report to the Brewers' Arizona League team.

He was there for only six games when, because of injury, the Rattlers needed a reliever. He left Arizona at midnight, arrived in Chicago at 6:00 AM, had a two-hour layover, took the one-hour flight and showed up about two hours before an afternoon game at Fox Cities Stadium.

While he really needed a nap, he found himself in the bullpen and then was called on to finish up a 9-3 victory over South Bend and produced two-thirds of an inning of perfect baseball.

Since then, he has posted a 1-0 record with a 2.05 ERA in 13 appearances.

It has been quite the ride so far.

"It has been," said Medlen. "I didn't know if I was going to get picked up or not out of college. I really didn't have that great of a year. And then getting picked up then sent right out to Arizona.

"I really didn't think anything was going to happen because I was such a low draft pick. Once I came out here it was a blessing. It was pretty cool to come out here and try to make the most of my opportunity."

Medlen's efforts have been a bonus for the Rattlers, who were being sent a player they likely believed they would just use for a short time before returning him to Arizona.

"Casey has been a pleasant surprise, no doubt about it," said Timber Rattlers manager Matt Erickson. "He's worked himself into a pretty steady role at the back end of our bullpen. He's been good. He's got a little life to his fastball. He commands both sides of the plate. He's got a nice little wrinkle and throws a split-finger.

"But what I like about him is that for a little guy he gets up on the mound and he's fearless. He comes right at you and throws strikes and he competes. And I never hesitate to give him the ball when those opportunities arise."

Erickson said Medlen has the perfect attitude for his position.

"I don't know if there's a chip on his shoulder or that's just his demeanor, his attitude," he said. "I don't know if it has anything to do with where he was drafted, but he gets on the mound and grabs the ball and comes right at you.

"That's the kind of temperament, no matter what package you're in, everybody would have. I know as a player, those were the kind of pitchers you love playing behind. You knew they were going to be around the zone so you kept on your toes."

Perhaps his greatest asset, aside from his demeanor, is a fastball that can reach the low 90s and a 70 mph curveball he can throw for strikes.

"Ever since I was in high school," he said of the difference in velocity. "It's always been the same way, really slow. But I throw it for strikes and it's been working."

What's really working now is his confidence. A guy who thought might not be drafted who will be attending the Brewers' advanced instructional league once the Rattlers' season concludes.

"I feel like I can do it," Medlen said. "Everyone here has the same opportunity I have and I'm going to take full advantage of it and see where it takes me."

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Timber Rattlers profile: No. 35 Brooks Hall, pitcher

compiled by Mike Woods, Post-Crescent staff writer

Quick hits

- Height, Weight: 6-5, 220.

- Position: Pitcher.

- Bats/throws: Right/right.

- Residence: Anderson, S.C.

- Notes: Selected by the Milwaukee Brewers in the fourth round of the 2009 First-Year Player Draft out of T.L. Hanna (S.C.) High School. ... Named to the South Carolina Baseball Coaches Association Class 4A all-state team. ... Committed to play at the University of South Carolina before signing with the Brewers.

Favorites

- Major league team growing up: "The Yankees. My dad is a big Yankees fan; my mom. I loved A-Rod (Alex Rodriguez) and (Derek) Jeter, loved to watch them play. I used to love Gary Sheffield, too. Loved the bat wiggle."

- Sport other than baseball: "Basketball. I played up until my junior year in high school until I started getting more offers (for baseball)."

- Food: "Everything my mom makes."

- Thing about Anderson: "There really ain't nothing to do there. It's home. I love to fish and there are just a bunch of ponds I grew up fishing at, so I love to go there and do that."

- TV show: "Entourage."

- Musical artist: "Probably Dave Matthews. I like rock. I used to be a rap guy but I've grown out of that. I don't even like it anymore."

- NFL team: "The Steelers. Used to be a big fan of 'The Bus,' Jerome Bettis. I just like how they play."

Q&A

Q: Why do you go by your middle name of Brooks?

A: "I've always been called that and I hate 'Steven.' My dad was a big fan of Brooks Robinson and he always called me Brooks. Nobody called me Steven."

Q: You threw a perfect game in high school. What was that experience like and how big a deal was that around town?

A: "That was a great experience. I really didn't even know I was throwing one until about the sixth. Nobody said anything. It turned out to be a really big deal around town. I did a lot of interviews. Everybody I saw was always talking about it. Everybody in school. It was a big deal to me, too. It was really exciting to throw a perfect game."

Q: Why did you sign with the Brewers out of high school instead of going to South Carolina?

A: "I just really wanted to start my career. I felt I was mature enough and was ready to go play baseball every day. Just looking at it and seeing where I could go instead of going to college and taking a chance of getting hurt. I just went with it. It was my dream anyway, so I thought, 'Let's do it.' "

Q: Has the transition to pro ball been about what you've expected?

A: "I expected it to be worse than it is. Everyone used to tell me, 'Minor league baseball, it's not very fun. And it's going to be tough out there.' But it's not bad. I love it. It's fun going out there. It's good competition. You just try to get better each and every day."

Q: When you came out of high school, you were able to touch the gun up to 95 mph, 96 mph. You've been in the low 90s here. Why do you think that is?

A: "Every game (in high school), I never went below 90. I was 90 to 94 every game. I have no clue (why his velocity has dropped). I wish I knew. I think it's just the fact that I never pitched in high school until my senior year. My arm was always loose and I felt good every day. Now, I'm just getting used to throwing every day. It takes a little bit out of your arm and your body. But I think it will come back. I've seen it in guys. One of my friends threw 98, then all of a sudden, when he got here, pro ball, he was like 90, 92. Now, he's actually getting back to where he used to be. He's figuring out where he needs to get his body where it should."

Q: What's the hardest thing about minor league baseball?

A: "Playing every day. The travel. Just the mental thing. Just the mental grind. The first year, it's a long season. Sometimes, you're like, 'Man, I don't even want to be here today.' But you've got to keep telling yourself to have fun. I try to stay loose all the time. I try to crack jokes all the time just to give myself a mental break. If you can stay and have fun, time flies. And you perform better, too."

Q: There's a lot of buzz about you among Brewers fans. Are you aware of it and what do you think about it?

A: "I see stuff on the Internet. My uncle looks at that stuff, and my mom. I'll read blogs and stuff — how they talk about me. You read good things. It's pretty exciting. You like to have that, people cheering for you and waiting to see what you can do in the future. It's pretty cool. But I don't let it get in my way. I don't really think about it."

Q: What'd you buy with your first check?

A: "I bought a hunting bow. Bought some new fishing rods. This offseason, I bought my dad a new dog. He had a German shepherd and he died. So I bought him one for Christmas. That was a pretty expensive dog. It's probably the most expensive thing I bought, was a dog."

Q: So what does a good dog go for these days?

A: "It was a German shepherd. I got him from Germany. It was like $3,500."

Q: What is your most prized sports possession?

A: "I've got a lot of Brooks Robinson-signed stuff but I have a Willie Mays bat that my dad's friends got me a long time ago. It's probably my most prized. It's one of the bats he used and has his signature on it."

Q: Most famous person you've met?

A: "Clete Boyer, who played for the Yankees. I met him when I was younger when I was in Cooperstown. We met him at his restaurant. My dad and I talked to him for over an hour. My dad was like, 'Brooks. Brooks, come here.' He goes 'Brooks? Really? You named your son after Brooks Robinson? Our rival?' It was kind of funny."

Q: Favorite sports moment you've ever been a part of or watched?

A: "Last year, we won the Arizona League championship. That was pretty cool. Your first year, get a ring and stuff."

Q: Best advice?

A: "Probably from my dad. Always stay composed on the mound. If anything goes bad, you have to stay composed and don't show your emotions. I think that's key. People in this league, you can tell when they're down and stuff. And it gets in the hitters' heads — 'Oh, this guy is down. We can take advantage of him now.' So just staying composed is a big thing."

The Tool Box

Timber Rattlers pitching coach Chris Hook breaks down Brooks Hall:

"First thing that comes to my mind, athletic guy, a former shortstop. He has good actions, as we say, on the mound. He fields his position well; keeps runners close. You just don't have to worry about those things with him out there on the mound. To have a base like that, it's a good thing to have.

"Big kid. I think he can be stronger. He's gotten a lot stronger since he signed. And he pitches. That's the big thing, when I think about Brooks, is he goes out there and competes. He pitches. He throws his fastball where he wants to throw it. He's got a change-up he can throw for strikes. He's got a breaking ball that's gotten a lot better since the start of the season. But back on the competing thing, he competes. When he needs a big out, he gets it. He doesn't overthrow. He gets the out.

"He's grown quite a bit. I think he's showing a lot of people in this organization, here's a guy we have to keep an eye on. Coming into his pro career, he hadn't pitched a whole lot. So we've got a guy that's in his infancy as far as pitching goes and he's a guy with a lot of upside."

Timber Rattlers pitcher Brooks Hall decided to sign with the Brewers instead of playing ball at the University of South Carolina. / Post-Crescent photo by Ron Page

http://cmsimg.postcrescent.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=U0&Date=20110828&Category=APC020602&ArtNo=108280529&Ref=AR&MaxW=640&Border=0&Timber-Rattlers-profile-No-35-Brooks-Hall-pitcher

I started thinking about this in the 8/30 Link Report thread...

At any given point in the 2012 seaosn, Wisconsin could/should feature:

- Max Walla, Yadiel Rivera, Nick Ramirez, Tyler Roberts, John Dishon, Ben McMahan, Cameron Garfield

- Drew Gagnon, Tommy Toledo, Tyler Cravy, Andy Moye, Brooks Hall, Seth Harvey, Maverick Lasker, Eric Arnett

They should be a LOT more entertaining than this year's incarnation.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Nick of Timeby Bob Brainerd, sports32.com (Time Warner Cable)

Photos by Brad Krause

http://www.sports32.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Ramirez-ready-199x300.jpg

Nick Ramirez was always the big kid on the block.

Not a bully, just a big kid.

“I’ve always been bigger than everyone and able to hit home runs,” said Ramirez, the 6-3, 225 pound first baseman of the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers. “Me and my buddy Josh Vitters, he was the third overall pick (2007) for the Cubs, played Little League for one year and it was just for fun…we wanted to play one year because we always played travel ball, and I think we both had like 24 home runs and both set the record for home runs in a season.”

Life was a blast back in the day for the Anaheim native who packed a punch even as a youngster. Ramirez parlayed his power into a college scholarship at Cal State Fullerton, a program that prepped him for his future on the diamond.

“We always had an excellent schedule where we would play the best competition in the nation,” said Ramirez. “We weren’t playing one or two good teams a week; we were playing everyone that was out there that could beat us every day.”

Ramirez spent three seasons bashing balls in the heart of the Titans order, hitting .313 with 35 home runs and 155 RBI during his career. His best marks came in his sophomore campaign, when he went off for 16 round trippers with 75 RBI and a team high .346 average. With all that raking at the plate, Ramirez still found time to occasionally leave his first base position and enter the ninth inning to close the deal from the mound.

“I didn’t do much with pitching because I would only throw on the weekends, get a save here and there on Tuesday, but I wouldn’t throw bullpens during the week because my arm would be a little sore, so I’d just pitch on Friday, Saturday, Sunday,” said Ramirez. “I would play eight innings at first base and then come in and pitch.

“I liked doing it because I got some adrenaline out of it and it was fun.”

Ramirez on the bump was anything but a novelty act. Some baseball scouts preferred Ramirez in that role, after hurling 16 saves in as many chances at Cal State Fullerton earlier this season. The desire to close was there, just not the nasty ninth inning “look.”

“I would come into pitch with dirt on my jersey after playing eight innings, but I didn’t really have a whole ugly attitude kind of thing,” said Ramirez. “I just wanted to win and I was going to give it my best stuff and if you could hit it, go ahead. I had a good defense behind me so I didn’t try to do too much.

“There really wasn’t any need for me to shift gears because I was already in a winning mode the whole time during the game.”

http://www.sports32.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Ramirez-swing1-300x200.jpg

Ramirez made it clear prior to the draft that he could close the door on his closing career for good and focus on being an offensive threat. The Brewers agreed, and tabbed Ramirez in the fourth round back in June, setting up a quick turnaround transition.

“I got drafted and our season ended two days before the draft,” recalled Ramirez. “Within three weeks I was out in Montana playing there for maybe three and a half weeks and then I got called up here to Appleton.”

His stay with the Brewers Pioneer League rookie team in Helena turned out to be a rest stop on his 2011 baseball travel log. Ramirez continued his offensive onslaught smacking eight home runs with 30 RBI in just 23 games. His .689 slugging percentage was second in the league, and when Timber Rattlers first baseman Cody Hawn went on the DL, there was no reason remaining to hold the newest first baseman back.

Ramirez was on the move again.

“After that, it’s kind of like, now where am I going?” said Ramirez. “But I’ve really settled down and I’ve gotten pretty much acclimated with everything around here, how we do everything here in Appleton. I figure I’m not going anywhere for the rest of the season so I can just really focus on myself and finish up strong.”

The whirlwind summer hasn’t bogged Ramirez down to the point he lets exhaustion consume him. His three productive seasons with the Titans, along with a roster spot on the 2010 Collegiate National Team, where his TEAM USA squad took a silver medal in Tokyo, prepped Ramirez for his promotion to the pros.

“It got me familiar with the fact that there are going to be good players every night regardless of who you’re playing,” said Ramirez. “So now that I’m playing professional baseball, everyone here was drafted for a reason. There are no days where you can just take off and let your talent take over. There are days where you have to work no matter what.”

His laboring for a living means battling to endure the extremes of the game. Blessed with a powerful bat, he wants his lumber to provide not just the long ball, but also the ball in play more often than not.

http://www.sports32.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Ramirez-fielding-300x199.jpg

“I’d like to see myself become a complete hitter,” said Ramirez. “I feel like I’ve never had a problem hitting for average, but that was in college, so I’d love to hit for average in the pro level but also add some production. I’m not going to tell you I’m going to go out there and hit .200 with 30 home runs because I want to be a dangerous bat in the middle of the lineup. If I go out there and work on the things I need to do, I’m capable of doing it.”

As his season at the Class A level comes to a close, Ramirez is having trouble in both departments, hitting under .200 with three home runs in a month’s worth of ball games with the Timber Rattlers. Perhaps this hop scotching blur of a year is finally catching up with Ramirez, who prefers the nomadic life of a baseball player on the rise.

“I’d be lying to you if I told you I wanted to feel comfortable everywhere, because I’d rather just move up and get to the big leagues as fast as possible,” said Ramirez. “I know if that’s going to happen then I’m not going to be in cities for an extended period of time. I feel like I’ve gotten adjusted to the long bus rides then playing the next day. This is the first year for me but it’s also a very good learning experience.”

Recent draft day actions of the big club suggest a plan to restock at the first base position to help soften the blow of the anticipated Prince Fielder departure. Will Nick Ramirez get his shot to fill that vacancy someday? Only time will tell, but now that Ramirez is a big bat in the Brewers system instead of a big man on campus, he dares to dream the ultimate fantasy.

“In college it was always just a thought, kind of like a one day it can happen sort of thing,” said Ramirez. “But now that I’m playing for the Brewers and seeing there are three levels above me before the big leagues, it’s almost like a dream that you can touch sort of thing. I don’t know what ballpark it would be at, but it will be somewhere and I’ll be able to hear my name called to come hit. That’s my dream right there.

“It’s a surreal thing knowing you might be one call away.”

• 2 weeks later...

Chad Hangs with Baseball

by Bob Brainerd, sports32.com (Time Warner Cable)

Photos by Brad Krause

http://www.sports32.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Stang-trots-in-199x300.jpg

Decisions sprung up early in life for Canadian born athlete Chad Stang.

Pursue his passion on the diamond or on ice?

“I played everything,” said Stang, who just completed his first season of Class A baseball with the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers. “Shortly after I learned how to walk, I was skating. I just split the season, half was hockey, half was baseball. My dad (Greg) was a very superb athlete, originally from Alberta and a big hockey town, and he played both as well.”

Like father, like son, Chad rolled from one season to the next, trading skates for spikes, a stick for a bat. But when he turned 16, his future was in front of him with only one road to follow.

“I was really good at hockey but just wasn’t getting the breaks that I needed to go further,” said Stang. “Baseball, I did, making the (Canadian) Junior National team and other opportunities that came to me. That’s what I decided to do, and fulfill by dreams as a kid to play professional baseball.”

Before the Milwaukee Brewers granted his wish by selecting Stang with an 8th round draft pick in 2009, Stang had to face another crossroads decision by stepping away from a college scholarship to play at Louisiana State.

“So far in my life that was the toughest decision I had to make,” said Stang. “Because with LSU, all you’ve got to do is say the name and people know. It’s a superb baseball program and when I went there I was just blown away and they were coming off a National Championship the year before, so it was really tempting. But I got a good opportunity in the draft and that’s kind of where my heart took me.”

No matter the location, Stang got noticed for exhibiting fleet feet. Credit his former sport for helping him blaze a trail on the base paths.

http://www.sports32.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Stang-slide-300x200.jpg

“Hockey really helped me with my speed because I was fast on skates and it kind of turned over onto baseball,” said Stang. “When I was younger they meshed because my muscles were developing. Hockey is a totally different muscle group than baseball but you still need the mass muscles in my legs.

“I was always in shape for baseball season, but as a kid, I used to only be able to focus on one sport at a time, so that’s why I fell behind in hockey at times. Everyone else was playing summer hockey and I was playing baseball. But I couldn’t ask for anything more, I loved playing sports.”

While Stang admits he misses the scene on ice, his numbers prior to his selection by Milwaukee point out he chose the proper profession, winning a league batting title in high school in 2007, then shuttling off to Midland Community College in Texas for two more years of collegiate seasoning. Following draft day, Stang got his fast feet wet in 2009 playing 52 games with the Brewers rookie league team in Helena.

Then along came 2010…

“It was the last game of spring training, and I started switch hitting the year before,” recalled Stang. “I was doing really well, played in a couple big league games and got some hits left-handed and I thought this might work out for me. But the last game, I was in the box, swung, and my foot got stuck at the plate. I had a torn meniscus which was a little bit of a downer having to miss six weeks of the season.”

Minimal time lost eventually turned into an imploded season. Stang took his injury in stride and was on the threshold of getting his bearings back when a more daunting hurdle surfaced.

“It was my fifth rehab game and I swung pretty good on an inside pitch and I tore my labrum,” said Stang. “I knew something was wrong because my arm just went numb. After the surgery it was like a hit to the heart because I knew I was done for the rest of the season, which was tough.”

Determined to forge forward, Stang kicked off his 2011 campaign without a team, remaining in extended spring training to ensure his right shoulder was sound. When he got the green light to join the Timber Rattlers on June 14th, the player with all that speed needed to get himself back up to speed.

“It took me awhile when I first got here and started playing, the first few diving plays I made in the outfield my arm felt a little sore because I hadn’t done it in over a year,” said Stang. “But after that, I just knew I could go out and just play and if something happens, it happens. But that’s way in the back of my mind. It took me awhile to get back to where I wanted to be aggressive in the outfield but once you get there, it’s tons of fun and you enjoy the game of baseball.”

Sitting on the sidelines for a season never resembled fun for Stang, but it did allow him space to grow his mind while the rest of his body heeled.

http://www.sports32.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Stang-hit-300x200.jpg

“It (injury) has shown me a totally different side of baseball and the mentality you have to have to get through the drag and the grind,” said Stang. “Now my arm is stronger than when I came here, and that was one thing the Brewers were worried about, to see if it was going to come back better or worse. It’s even better than when I was drafted, and now I’m healthy and taking a lot of positives out of this season.”

The offseason will allow Stang to look back and relish a completed year in Appleton without incident. It will also clear time on his calendar to pursue his many off the field passions.

Cooking.

“Love it…I grew up around it with a family of six and everyone was busy at different times so there used to be days I had to cook and started to like it.”

A vegetarian until he was 12 years old, Stang discovered different ways to create creative cuisine. And if he was ever summoned to manufacture a meal for his teammates?

“We have pasta and chicken every day, so that’s a tough one,” said Stang. “Steak and potatoes and a veggie would be the best for us right now because we don’t get that a lot…never cooked for that many guys before but it’s definitely doable, if I had some help.”

There’s tinkering to be done on his 1957 Volkswagen Beatle. Chad’s older brother Cory was into “Bugs” and helped Chad track one down in Arizona…restored in 1978 and painted baby blue by the former owner.

“Good brother bonding time,” said Stang.

There’s also the artistic side of Chadwin (his real first name, to fall in line with his other “C” member siblings Cory, Candace and Chelsea).

“I drew a lot in high school, and my brother was a big drawer and was sort of my inspiration and hero growing up,” said Stang. “He did it, was really good at it, so I started doing it.

Downtime with a sketch pad helps Stang “get away from everything,” but never so far off from the real world that his imagination runs away with his thoughts.

“I’m not really big into creating images, I like to duplicate things I see and enjoy,” said Stang. “I guess you could say I’m a little bit of a perfectionist when it comes to drawing…I want it to look just like it really looks.”

Precisely the way Chad Stang draws up his plans for a future in baseball. His sport of choice has seen its share of ups and downs. Hardly perfect, but isn’t that what a fresh canvas is for?

“The majority of guys in baseball are perfectionists because you get into a routine, find what works for you and stick with it,” said Stang. “That’s what you perfect is that routine every day. That’s what my goal is, to be a perfectionist. You may not become one now, but you want to try to get there someday. Because in a game, when that opportunity comes, you want to be perfect.”

• 2 months later...

From the Tuscaloosa News:

[Del] Howell[/b], 24, is also smiling these days. He's feeling a lot better than he was during a spell last season when he had to work through tendonitis issues in his throwing elbow.

“I started off really good,” he said. “I woke up one morning and my elbow was as big as my head.”
“I came back to the A-ball team and couldn't get it going,” he said. “It was a long year. It wasn't as bad as the numbers show, but if you talk to someone who doesn't know baseball they don't understand that.”

Archived