Brewer Fanatic

Your 2011 Wisconsin Timber Rattlers -- Latest: More from Instructional League

Mass Haas
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Tony Pechek:Attended Wichita State, Central Arizona, Creighton and Colorado State University.

Hmmm... 4 colleges in (presumably) 4 years? That has to be a red flag if I ever saw one.

Keith Law isn't sold yet on Tyler Thornburg and says his ceiling is a relief pitcher.

That just doesn't make any sense to me. I can understand how you could believe that his most likely position would be as an RP, but to say his ceiling is an RP is pretty ridiculous. His toolset is that of a high end SP (mainly FB speed there), but probably because of age and height, he gets knocked down. Other than that, I think he compares favorably to Peralta and Scarpetta, except with better control.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Staff

Four Rattlers selected to play for the West in the 2011 Midwest League All-Star Game

Dennis to start at DH; Walker, Ross, & Thornburg to play for West on June 21

By Chris Mehring / Wisconsin Timber Rattlers

GRAND CHUTE, WI - The Midwest League announced the teams for the 2011 Midwest League All-Star Game on Friday afternoon. Four Wisconsin Timber Rattlers are heading to Modern Woodmen Park in Davenport, Iowa (home of the Quad Cities River Bandits) on June 21 to play for the Western Division. Chris Dennis will be the starting designated hitter for the West. Mike Walker was picked as a reserve infielder. Pitchers Austin Ross and Tyler Thornburg were also selected in a vote by the managers of the Western Division teams in the Midwest League.

Dennis, the 13th round pick of the Milwaukee Brewers in the 2007 draft out of St. Thomas of Villanova High School in LaSalle, Ontario, is hitting .302 with four homers and 22 RBI in just 31 games for the Rattlers. Dennis joined Wisconsin on May 1 and has added seven doubles and three triples to his numbers. Dennis, who played part of the 2009 season and all of the 2010 season with the Rattlers, is currently second on the franchise career home run list with 26.

Walker, who was picked in the 14th round of the 2010 draft out of the University of Pacific, is second in the Midwest League in home runs (10) and RBI (39). The left-handed hitter is also hitting .298 on the season.

Ross, an 8th round pick of Milwaukee in 2010 out of Louisiana State University, is 5-2 with a 2.29 ERA and 56 strikeouts in 52 innings pitched this season. Ross was named the Midwest League Pitcher of the Week on April 25 and the Milwaukee Brewers Minor League Pitcher of the Month for April.

Thornburg, Milwaukee's 3rd round pick in 2010 out of Charleston Southern, is 4-0 in nine starts for the Timber Rattlers this season. He is second in the Midwest League in ERA with a 1.31 (seven earned runs in 49 innings pitched). Thornburg has not allowed a run in three straight starts and ran his scoreless innings streak to 19-1/3 innings with a nine inning complete game shutout at Kane County on May 29. Thornburg has struck out 50 opposing batters in 2011.

The 2011 All-Star Game at Modern Woodmen Park is scheduled to start at 7:00 PM. Subscribers to Time Warner Cable will be able to watch the game and the four Timber Rattlers playing in it on Sports 32.

http://wisconsin.timberrattlers.milb.com/images/2011/06/03/mqDnxHwm.jpg

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Timber Rattlers profile: No. 30 Tyler Thornburg, pitcher

compiled by Mike Woods, Appleton Post-Crescent

Quick hits

- Position: Pitcher.

- Height, weight: 6-0, 188.

- Bats/throws: Right/right.

- Resides: Charleston, S.C.

- Notes: Selected by the Brewers in the third round of the 2010 First-Year Player Draft. ... Regarded as the Brewers' sixth-best prospect, according to Baseball America. ... Attended Charleston Southern, where he played pitcher and outfield. ... Finished career with 24 home runs, fourth-best in school history. ... Through Friday's game, owns a 4-0 record and 1.31 ERA, second-lowest in the Midwest League. … His mother, Dottye, was a junior Olympic swimmer.

Favorites

- MLB team growing up: "The Atlanta Braves. I grew up in Atlanta, spent most of my life in Atlanta."

- MLB player growing up: "My favorite player was Ken Griffey Jr. I played outfield and, growing up, he was a fun person to watch play. I tried to mimic his wing and, of course, I'm not even hitting any more."

- Food: "Starting to like brats, being up here a little bit more. I had one the other day made with whey protein. I'm trying different stuff. But I'd definitely have to say steak, a good steak."

Musical artist: "I'm a big country guy. Grew up loving country. Pretty much any good country song."

NFL team: "Falcons. Just because I grew up in Atlanta. It was definitely tough being a fan going through those '90s years and early 2000s, where we hardly could win three or four games. Then having to go through the Michael Vick era, having those couple of years of not winning between him and Matt Ryan."

Q&A

Q: You must not have been too happy to see the Falcons finally have a good year, then get dumped at home by the Packers in the playoffs?

A: "I was quite upset, especially when I figured I'd have to come up here."

Q: How'd you end up at Charleston Southern?

A: "They were a college that told me I could play as an outfielder and a pitcher, start my freshman year and play both throughout my career."

Q: How hard was being a two-way player in college?

A: "It was actually one of the hardest things I've ever had to do in my whole life. You couldn't get your bullpens in when you were pitching because you had to play a game that day. Then the day after you pitch, you had to be long tossing from the outfield and you'd have guys running on you. Your arm's sore. You can't really get your backhand through on your swing and then it just wore you down throughout the season. It's only 56 games, but it's kind of like you're doubling that because you're playing every single day and doing multiple things because I even hit when I pitched."

Q: Are you glad you did it that way?

A: "Oh yeah. Looking back on it, I wouldn't have changed anything."

Q: Have you ever petitioned manager Matt Erickson to pinch hit?

A: "I actually took BP for the first time the other day and hit about three balls out, out of like seven swings. Then he played a joke on me the next day and told me we were short on guys and so I had to hit for myself when I was pitching. It got me all excited, of course. Then he gave me the real lineup. But I remind him every single day: 'I'm always here if you need me.' "

Q: What's the story about the Little League all-star team that you helped come watch you play in college?

A: "It's a church that my grandma goes to and helps out with. And they had never really been outside the East Point (Fla.) area. So they got to travel to Florida State. It was fun watching them cheer. They had never really been to a baseball game, any of them, and they all play Little League baseball. So they were cheering really loud. It was fun and we got to take some pictures with them afterward and sign a couple of balls. They had a really good time."

Q: What did it feel like to get drafted?

A: "Well considering it was a lifelong dream, it was one of those days that, as soon as you find out it's a possibility, you start dreaming about that day. And while it's going on and you watch names roll off that list, you get really nervous and then it's just like a release when you hear your name called. Just pure excitement, followed by a couple of days of more nervousness, realizing that now you have to compete with all these other guys that were drafted."

Q: Did you try to model your delivery after Giants pitcher Tim Lincecum or is that just the way you always did things?

A: "I do change my mechanics a lot. I have watched him pitch, but I can't really say I try to mimic him too much. It's just one of the ways that I've found out helps me throw the best. He does his own thing. He's a little bit more quirky than I am and it definitely works for him."

Q: Your fastball has been reported as high as 95 mph and as high as 98 mph. Which is accurate?

A: "I guess it depends on what scouting report you read. Realizing I only had a few games left (in college), I just started cutting it loose and, yeah, I was getting it up there maybe once, twice a game at 98."

Q: Do you ever hope to crank it up to 100 mph, just to say you did it?

A: "I've thought about that a good bit, especially last year, because it seemed like every outing I was hitting 98 and I thought 'I've got to hit 99 first.' Don't know if I'll ever get there, but it would be nice."

Q: Is it fair to say you got your athletic ability from your mom, a junior Olympic swimmer?

A: "My dad tries to say I got it from him. But me and mom always know who I got it from."

Q: What are your biggest strengths and weaknesses?

A: "Biggest strength, I'd have to say, is being athletic. It helps you in a lot of different areas, as far as being able to change your mechanics or make adjustments out on the mound when you're struggling. You can get to bunts, fielding plays and helps you do all the small things.

"Things I need to work on is being more consistent. If you look at my outings this year, I had really good ones; I had really bad ones. Trying to get more good ones than bad ones, really. Try to cut down on those walks, cut down on leaving balls up — just being a more complete pitcher."

Q: What is your most prized sports possession?

A: "Growing up, I had a ton of baseball cards. I still have them. I have a ton of boxes under my bed at my parents' house in Florida."

Q: Most famous person you've ever met?

A: "I guess they weren't very famous, if I can't think of any of them. I can tell you the person I've always wanted to meet is Nolan Ryan. Always wanted to meet him. I respect the man like crazy."

Q: Favorite sports moment you've ever been a part of or watched?

A: "Probably being a part of that championship team in Helena. It was awesome. Being able to throw that Game 1 and do what I could to help the team was huge. That was probably the most excited I've ever been after a baseball game."

Q: Who is the person you admire most?

A: "It really is my parents. They came to every single game, growing up. Every single game in college. Never missed a game. Of course, they hate not being out here, but they came to a bunch of games last year. They try to come up here as much as possible."

Q: Best advice you've received?

A: "Work harder than the next guy. One of my best friends in college, he was the hardest worker ever. So you try to surround yourself with those kinds of people. His work ethic kind of rubbed off on me. I try to work as hard or harder than all the people I'm competing with and try to be the best."

The Tool Box

Timber Rattlers pitching coach Chris Hook breaks down Tyler Thornburg:

"He's got an average to above-average fastball. It kind of jumps out at you. He has good command of that fastball, throws it anywhere, any part of the plate. He's got a pretty good idea. I think (his fastball) has late life, but I wouldn't say it has action, like a sink or cut or run. I just think it has late life. It just gets up on you. So that's one thing he has. And he has a good idea of where he's throwing it. That's the great thing. He's an athletic kid, has good hand-eye coordination. If he wants to put the ball somewhere, he puts it there.

"His changeup can be an above-average major-league pitch for him. He's got a 12 mph differential from his fastball to his changeup. He can throw it for a strike. I think sometimes he doesn't throw it enough. He's learning to pitch with his stuff. He doesn't realize how good it is sometimes. Once he gets comfortable and says, 'Hey, I can throw my fastball at this spot and they have no chance.' That's like it was last game. It was like, 'Here I come.' And, hopefully, he'll continue to do that. He throws a curveball as well. It's not as good as his changeup, but I think it can be an average major-league pitch for him. I think it's a pitch he can command anywhere on the plate.

"He's a guy who really, at times, has above-average major-league stuff, with an idea. Plus, he's athletic. A lot of positives. I want him to believe he can dominate every game and know that he can. And once he understands that, there's no stopping him."

"His changeup can be an above-average major-league pitch for him. He's got a 12 mph differential from his fastball to his changeup. He can throw it for a strike. I think sometimes he doesn't throw it enough. He's learning to pitch with his stuff. He doesn't realize how good it is sometimes. Once he gets comfortable and says, 'Hey, I can throw my fastball at this spot and they have no chance.' That's like it was last game. It was like, 'Here I come.' And, hopefully, he'll continue to do that. He throws a curveball as well. It's not as good as his changeup, but I think it can be an average major-league pitch for him. I think it's a pitch he can command anywhere on the plate.
This is interesting. As my Power 50 comments indicate, I had thought Thornburg's curveball was the more advanced secondary offering. It's great to hear he's developed his changeup so well.

Q: Have you ever petitioned manager Matt Erickson to pinch hit?

A: "I actually took BP for the first time the other day and hit about three balls out, out of like seven swings. Then he played a joke on me the next day and told me we were short on guys and so I had to hit for myself when I was pitching. It got me all excited, of course. Then he gave me the real lineup. But I remind him every single day: 'I'm always here if you need me.' "

Q: Best advice you've received?

A: "Work harder than the next guy. One of my best friends in college, he was the hardest worker ever. So you try to surround yourself with those kinds of people. His work ethic kind of rubbed off on me. I try to work as hard or harder than all the people I'm competing with and try to be the best."

Did everyone watch those videos Mass linked of Thorny going over the wall to make catches as an outfielder? The bold comments are my favorite part of the interview.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

I read that profile in the paper this morning; thought it was the best one so far of T-Rats players.

So above average fastball, change-up, and curveball, good command, and good velocity but these "experts" say ceiling of reliever.... dumbfounding.

The 'experts' probably haven't seen him pitch once in person this season. I can't read too much into it.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Timber Rattlers profile: No. 6 T.J. Mittelstaedt, outfielder, infieldercompiled by Mike Woods, Appleton Post-Crescent

Quick hits

- Position: Outfielder, infielder.

- Height, weight: 5-10, 185.

- Bats/throws: Left/right.

- Resides: Mission Viejo, Calif.

- Notes: Selected by the Brewers in the 44th round of the 2010 First-Year Player Draft … Attended Long Beach State University … Majored in criminal justice … Named second-team all-Big West as a senior … Through Thursday, led the Rattlers with a .295 batting average and .420 on-base percentage … Was a high school classmate of Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez.

Favorites

- MLB team growing up: "Had to be the Angels because I'm from Southern California. It wasn't going to be the Dodgers because I was in Orange County so the hometown team was the Angels."

- MLB player growing up: "J.T. Snow. He played centerfield, then first base, and that's how I grew up, playing everywhere. Plus, he was No. 6, too, and that was my number."

- Food: "My mom makes some good Chicken Alfredo so that would be my choice."

- Thing about Mission Viejo: "I'm pretty much two hours away from doing anything. There are days in the winter where I've gone to the beach in the morning and at night ended up at Big Bear, up in the mountains and barbequing up at the cabin. So being able to do anything at anytime of the year is probably my favorite thing."

- TV show: " 'That 70s Show' and 'Family Guy.' Any kind of comedy, really."

- Musical artist: "The most that I have on my iPod right now is Eminem."

- NFL team: "San Francisco. Everybody in my family is divided but me and one of my sisters pulls for San Francisco. I have no idea why I chose it, but that's my team.''

Q&A

Q: The team just got back from a 13-game road trip this week. What was that like?

A: "Awful. The bus trips, we'd get in around 4:00 AM everywhere we went. Then you'd try to sleep, get a little bite to eat and get to the field and get back in the routine. You really have to conserve your energy, taking a little less BP and mentally preparing as opposed to physically. Staying mentally prepared was the hardest thing because eating cycles got completely washed away. You'd just try and find two or three times to eat and other than that, drink as much water as you could.''

Q: I guess you know you've been on a long trip when you go on the disabled list and come off on the same trip. What happened?

A: "I bunted and it was just an instinctive play. The guy threw it high, jumped, and as I was passing the bag he tagged me straight down on the top of my head. And the next thing I was on the ground. He couldn't have squared up with the top of my head any better. It gave me a concussion and I had to wait a week. It couldn't have come at a worst time because I was starting to swing it pretty good."

Q: What was it like to play at such an athletically noted high school like Mission Viejo?

A: "It really gave me perspective in a lot of things. I was on the backburner, even though I did everything I did in high school. Our football team, with Mark Sanchez, just took over the school when they were No. 1 in the country. Mark was the quarterback when I was there for two years. He also played on my baseball team on junior varsity. But seeing them having success, and still during the baseball season having the football team get all the recognition, it made me want to keep doing what I was doing, keep working hard.

And then I chose to go to Long Beach because they didn't have a football team. Baseball was the focus. And that helped because when you were doing well, everybody at the school knew it and we'd get more fans and they were there for you instead of somebody else. That was nice. But all of our athletes at Mission Viejo hung out together. We didn't have any rivalries. Everybody pretty much liked each other."

Q: So was Sanchez as big a deal at your high school as one might think?

A: "Yeah. Everybody knew it was going to happen; it was just a matter of when. He was pretty much a freak because he was so gifted that early. He was 6-foot-4 and could throw the ball 70 yards."

Q: So you chose Long Beach because of baseball?

A: "It was definitely a fit, just because of how they played. That's the way I always played. It was fun, make the other team mess up."

Q: How was your overall experience at Long Beach?

A: "It was a lot of fun. The school was about a half mile from the beach. On off days we'd go to Huntington Beach and go hang out there for a couple hours and then come back and barbeque. They only have two seasons; it's summer then a little bit cooler."

Q: What do you hope to do with your criminal justice major?

A: "I'm hoping I won't have to do much. But I've looked in to fire investigation. I have a few friends in the San Diego fire department now and they're always in need of the inspectors. And with my criminal background it puts me right in the front to go into that."

Q: What does it mean to be a Dirtbag?

A: "If there's another Dirtbag around and you're not outworking everybody, you're going to have a problem. So to have (former Long Beach player and Brewers reliever Marco) Estrada at spring training was easy because I knew if somebody's walking somewhere I'm going to jog. Whatever somebody does, you're going to do it harder. You're going to outwork everybody, everyday. And if it doesn't work out, at least you worked harder than everybody else."

Q: So it's like a badge of honor?

A: "Yeah. (Cal State) Fullerton can take all the college attributes, but we're going to outwork them and get to the bigs."

Q: What was it like to get drafted?

A: "Hectic. My junior year I had the best year of my career and didn't get drafted. And then senior year, I'm talking to about 15 teams. 'We're going to take you. We're going to take you.' And then 43 rounds go by and nothing had happened. I finally decided to go to the gym to work off some anger at about the 30th round and come back in the 40th and I'm still not drafted. At that point I told some friends to come over because if this doesn't happen we were still going to have a party. Once it came, it was pretty much a relief more than excitement, just knowing that I'm going to have a chance to prove everybody wrong that skipped me for 43 rounds. I heard it on the Brewers game last night. 'The draft is the start of the rainbow, the pot of gold is at the end.' "

Q: What's your most prized sports possession?

A: "The championship ring from last year. I'm competing with my uncle; he's got 11 rings now. He plays softball for over-60. I don't know how they still do it. Every family get together he says 'Hey, I've got another one.' "

Q: Favorite sports moment you've watched or been a part of?

A: "When I was 13, our national championship run in Oklahoma for our travel ball. We were playing Team USA/Texas in the semifinal and they beat us 3-2 earlier to give us our first loss in double elimination. Then we beat them 23-2, and a guy on our team hit two grand slams that went about 500 feet. If you were there you would believe me, it was 500 feet. It was 350 down the line and there was another field about 60 feet behind that and it landed on the mound."

Q: So do you know what happened to that kid?

A: "I think he's in the fire academy right now. Couldn't hit a slider."

Q: Most famous person you've met?

A: "Well, my grandpa works at a golf course and (former Red Sox great) Freddie Lynn is always out there golfing. I'll get a call, 'Hey, come down, talk to Freddie.' It was fun, he's just a normal guy, 'Hey, how you doing. I saw what you did at the game last night.' I was in high school and I'm thinking, 'How does this guy know who I am?' But he just goes out, talks to my grandfather, and asks how I'm doing. And I'll get a text from my grandfather: 'Freddie wants you to hit another homer.' I'm like 'All right, I'll do it.' "

Q: Best advice you've ever received?

A: "Show everybody that you don't belong where you're at.''

What is a Dirtbag?

It's the unofficial nickname of the Long Beach State baseball team. It refers to the program's style of play and success against higher profile programs. Long Beach State's official nickname is the 49ers, but Dirtbags was coined in 1989 when the team played without a home field and practiced at a local all-dirt Pony Field. That team won its first 18 games and advanced to the school's first College World Series. Then-infield coach Dave Malpass would take his infielders to the all-dirt field for their rigorous workout. The infielders would return to the regular practice field after their sessions covered in dirt. Thus the name "Dirtbags" was born.

The Tool Box

Timber Rattlers manager Matt Erickson breaks down T.J. Mittelstaedt:

"He's a nice guy to have on your ballclub for a manager because he's pretty versatile. He can play a number of positions. As a left-handed stick he's very patient at the plate. He has good plate discipline. He's one of the top on-base percentage guys on our team, presently. And he's kind of a crazy character; he's got a loose personality in the clubhouse. He's been a nice guy to have on our club.

"We have a few guys in our outfield that are kind of fighting for playing time and all provide a little bit something different to the club. He was a guy that, it just seemed every time we put him in there, we're getting big hits or he's throwing somebody out or he's walking and the next guy is getting a big hit and now we're winning games with him in the lineup. So I started getting him more involved; he was hitting in the three hole for a little bit while Cody (Hawn) was gone and did a really good job there. He's done a nice job and can play second, third, all the outfield spots. Everywhere we've put him, whether it's second or third or the outfield, he's done a good job. And I didn't realize how good he could throw the baseball. I wouldn't say it's a very strong arm but a better than average arm with probably the best accuracy of any outfielder, which is saying a lot because our outfield has some good arms and has had a lot of assists. You can really tell during infield-outfield on a day-to-day basis, he puts the ball right on the bag, just about every time. He's done a nice job.''

Mark Singelais/Times Union (Albany)

CBA graduate Greg Holle might have been calmer on the mound on Sunday in Wisconsin than his father was while listening to the game from 1,000 miles away.

Holle, a 6-foot-8, 240-pound closer for the Class A Wisconsin Timber Rattlers, entered Sunday's contest with a 2-1 lead and the bases loaded with none out in the eighth inning.

"I don't know how (Greg) does it,'' said Gary Holle, director of sales for Times Union Center, who followed the radio play-by-play over the computer. "My heart was pounding through my chest."

Greg Holle calmly extricated himself from the difficult situation without allowing a run, then pitched a 1-2-3 ninth for a 4-1 victory over Fort Wayne.

It was the 14th save for Holle, in his second year pitching in the Milwaukee Brewers' system. The franchise took him in the 11th round of last year's draft.

He ranked second in the Midwest League in saves entering Tuesday's action, impressive for someone who hadn't been a closer at CBA or in his three years at Texas Christian University.

With the Horned Frogs, Holle began his career as a starter before turning into a middle reliever.

"I like (the closer role) a lot," Greg Holle said. "It's pretty cut and dried what you've got to do. You've got to get those three outs, or six outs. That's basically it."

He has converted all 14 of his save attempts, closing in on the club record of 19.

Holle has struck out 23 in 25 innings this season. His earned-run average is 4.32, high for a closer, but skewed by relatively few bad outings.

Gary Holle, who made it to the majors as a Texas Rangers first baseman in 1979, said he isn't surprised his son is thriving in the pressure-filled life of a closer.

"He's not a starter," Gary Holle said. "He's a very short innings kind of guy. I've seen him perform great when he comes in when there's damage all over the place. He's, 'Just give me the ball.'"

That's exactly what he did on Sunday in that risky eighth inning. With the bases packed, Holle used a split-fingered fastball to induce his first batter to ground back to Holle for the force at home.

Then came a fastball and a grounder to third for another force at home and the second out.

Finally, Holle struck out a Fort Wayne batter on an inside fastball to get out of the jam.

"I was pretty fired up," Greg Holle said. "Once you get done flipping out and getting all excited, there are really three more outs you have to get (in the ninth)."

Holle said that being ready to pitch every night is a bigger adjustment than the tension that goes with finishing a game.

"The biggest part people don't realize is how much throwing you do," he said. "You're expected to be ready in like a second's notice. The big thing is keeping your arm in shape and being ready every day."

Along with a fastball that tops out in the low 90s, Holle is developing an effective splitter to go with his slider.

He said he wants to make it to the big leagues like his dad and figures being a closer is the fastest route.

"I like it, honestly," he said. "Whatever you've got to do to move up."

Brewer Fanatic Staff

We'll transfer all the text for archiving tonight, but here's your link for a Sunday AM --

Timber Rattlers profile: No. 40 Stosh Wawrzasek, pitcher

Stosh Wawrzasek is 1-2 with a 2.52 ERA in 19 games so far this season for the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers. / William Glasheen/The Post-Crescent

http://cmsimg.postcrescent.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=U0&Date=20110619&Category=APC020602&ArtNo=106190553&Ref=AR&MaxW=300&Border=0

Quick hits

Height, weight: 6-0, 249.

Bats/throws: Right/right.

Residence: Langley, British Columbia.

Notes: Selected by the Brewers in the 16th round of the 2008 First-Year Player Draft. … Committed to play at Florida International before signing with the Brewers. … Was a teammate of former Brewers first-round draft pick Brett Lawrie on the Langley Blaze of the British Columbia Premiere Baseball League. … Owns a 1-2 record with the Timber Rattlers with a 2.52 ERA and one save.

Favorites

MLB team growing up: "I would say, growing up, was probably the Red Sox, because of Tim Wakefield. My dad taught me to throw a knuckleball when I was younger and I was like, 'I want to throw that.' I saw (Wakefield) pitch and I thought, 'I want to be like him when I grow up.' But then I developed and I throw it a little harder than him so, I thought, 'I might not want to be him.' " [unfortunate day to trot that fact out.]

MLB player growing up: "Wakefield."

Sport other than baseball: "Anything with contact. I love contact sports. I played everything when I was younger. I played football, rugby. I didn't play hockey, though. It's the one thing I never really played."

Food: "The list goes on and on."

Thing about Langley: "I would probably say the ball field that I grew up at. A lot of memories there. My dad was my coach when I was playing 7 through 12. Just playing baseball with the people I grew up with is one of the biggest memories I have."

TV show: "I'd probably say 'Lie to Me.' It's one of those shows that I just zoned in. I couldn't stop watching."

Musical artist: "I really don't have a specific favorite. Whatever is on the radio, I'll listen to. If I had to chose, I'd probably say Eminem."

NFL team: "When I was younger, it was the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. I couldn't tell you why. I think it was because of their logo."

Q&A

Q: How did you parents decide on the name Stosh?

A: "My dad's name is Stanley. Stosh is actually Polish for Stanley. They didn't want to give me the same name as my dad, even though that's what he goes by. But they said, "We'll name him Stosh.' So it's not the same, but it kind of is."

Q: Are you disappointed you lost in the first round last year of Minor League Moniker Madness?

A: "Not so much. I didn't expect to win. I thought it was cool to be in it. But some of the other names in there were kind of crazy."

Q: Do you remember who you lost to?

A: "A guy named Beamer Weems."

Q: What's the funniest story you have involving your name?

A: "Just the mispronunciation of it. When we were in Bowling Green, I came in to pitch the ninth inning and they announced my name as Steve Werzak. Didn't get either of them right. I don't know how he butchered my first name, but he did."

Q: Were you sad to see Lawrie traded?

A: "It is tough to see someone you played with your whole life leave. But the move is probably better for him because he's playing in Triple-A now in his third year in pro ball. He's a great hitter, a great power hitter and a pretty good second baseman, I think, especially when I played with him in Langley."

Q: Is it a widely held misconception that every Canadian boy is given a hockey stick and shoved onto the ice?

A: "Yes. I was given one. But, surprisingly enough, I've never been on ice skates. I played roller hockey but I've never been on skates."

Q: At what point did the organization decide you'd be a reliever and how did that sit with you?

A: "I think the decision of me being a reliever has been up in the air for a little bit. The first year I signed, I was kind of like a starter. The second year, in Arizona, I was strictly a relief pitcher. And then last year, I played in Helena and I was a starter and now, this year, I'm back to a reliever.

I'm actually doing well out of the pen. I'm throwing a lot harder than I was last year. I think it's that mentality that I'm possibly only going to be in there three or four innings and I'm going to give it everything I've got and throw the ball as hard as I can."

Q: What's the hardest thing about being a reliever?

A: "Having to get your arm ready and be prepared to go out there every day. That was the biggest thing for me. To throw two innings one day, then do your stuff, and then be able to go the next day as well. That was the biggest adjustment I had to make."

Q: What's it like to get the last out of the game?

A: "It's by far one of the best feelings I've ever had. Nothing beats it. Having your catcher walk toward you, shake his hand, then shake hands with the rest of your teammates and walk off the field with a satisfied feeling in your gut. Feels real good."

Q: Do you throw a knuckleball?

A: "Not in a game. I goof around with it. They told me not to throw it in a game."

Q: How do you kill time in the bullpen?

A: "Throw water on the bratzooka guy. But we just really talk and goof around, but when it gets down to the later innings, it gets serious. You start to stretch and get your body loose just in case. It's not just having your body ready but you have to be mentally prepared too. If you're not mentally prepared, things can go crazy really fast."

Q: How does the bratzooka guy treat you guys?

A: "There have been a couple of times where they've asked us not to throw water because they have somebody on there with them. And then we don't throw water, but then see there is nobody on there, then we really get them the next day.

"It was funny when (Dennis Haskins from 'Saved by the Bell') Mr. Belding was here and we got Mr. Belding. It was hilarious. We got him soaked and then we come into the clubhouse and (reliever) Greg Holle's shirt is soaked and there was a little note on his chair 'Don't mess with the principal, Mr. Belding.' It was funny."

Q: What's your most prized sports possession?

A: "I have a lot. I'd probably say, when I was 12 years old, I got a Team Canada jersey. We didn't win. We came in like sixth place in the Cal Ripken World Series. But that is probably one of my most prized baseball memorabilia I have. My parents got it framed and it's sitting in my room. Something to remember the awesome year I had playing with my friends and my dad."

Q: What's the best advice you've ever received?

A: "Don't think. When you're on the mound, if you starting thinking too much, it just turns into chaos. So I just get up there on the mound and just throw the ball."

The Tool Box

Timber Rattlers pitching coach Chris Hook breaks down Stosh Wawrzasek: "He has an average major-league fastball with good tilt. He works kind of up and down in the zone, not so much side to side. He's got a curveball that's in development and he throws a changeup as well.

"I'm really looking for consistency out of him. He's a young guy, a young guy who's basically 20 years old. He's been a starter most of his career. Has thrown a lot of innings. This is kind of new to him. The routine of a reliever, being able to come back on back-to-back days. I'm just looking for him to let his stuff play in the strike zone. And when he does that, he does a pretty good job.

"He seems to do better when he comes into pressure situations. Sometimes the concentration lapse will happen. He does better when there are guys on base — he's locked in and does a good job. I want to see him improve his concentration pitch to pitch. I think he's got a good curveball, probably an average major-league curveball, but I don't see that consistently. He's got a lot a stuff to work on and, as a young guy, that's what he should be doing here in A ball."

It may not have been the first of the year, but Tyler Thornburg got in the team photo this week for the BA's prospect hot sheet. I think Gamel got some mention in the man among boys category but that might be it. I still think Thornburg should have made the top list at least once this year but I think his age hurts him.

This is what was written about Thornburg in the Hot Sheet:
Brewers RHP Tyler Thornburg was limited by an oblique strain after being drafted out of Charleston Southern last year, but that is behind the 22-year old now. A former two-way player in college, Thornburg has dominated the Midwest League and turned in another strong start this week. He allowed just two hits in seven innings, while striking out nine. Thornburg is now 7-0, 1.57 and is pushing hard for a promotion to high Class A

Timber Rattlers in the Midwest League All-Star Game (box score):

• Chris Dennis: 1-2, HR
  • Mike Walker: 1-1, BB, 2 R
  • Tyler Thornburg: 1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 26 pitches, 17 strikes. Kevin Goldstein reported that Thornburg was 89-94 with his fastball and had a "quality breaking ball", and Chris Mehring was also impressed with Thornburg's changeup.
  • Austin Ross: 0.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 5 pitches, 4 strikes. Mehring reports that Ross topped out at 90 with his fastball and got a swinging strikeout on his change.

The West team (the one with the guys you care about) won 8-3.

Thornburg's inning:

MID East All-Stars Top of the 2nd
Pitcher Change: Tyler Thornburg replaces Trevor Rosenthal.
  • Yazy Arbelo pops out to first baseman Michael Gonzales.
  • Jake Blackwood singles on a ground ball to center fielder Travis Witherspoon.
  • With Derek Dietrich batting, Jake Blackwood steals (1) 2nd base.
  • Derek Dietrich walks.
  • Michael Crouse called out on strikes.
  • Marcus Knecht called out on strikes.

Ross's:

MID East All-Stars Top of the 8th
Pitcher Change: Austin Ross replaces Dakota Robinson.
  • Dominic D'Anna flies out to left fielder Daniel Ortiz.
  • Matt Helm strikes out swinging.
  • Pitcher Change: Chase Boruff replaces Austin Ross.
  • Zachary Walters grounds out, second baseman Starlin Rodriguez to first baseman Michael Walker.

Picture from Chris:

http://cdnmo.coveritlive.com/media/image/201106/phpbHVVWV2011All-StarGame013.JPG

Dennis, Ross, Thornburg, Walker

Lots more pictures at the link above.

I'm following Jimmy Nelson on twitter, and 2 out of 3 tweets are complaining about something. Just an observation.

He doesn't like rain and snow, having bad outting, long boring bus rides, and getting a tattoo hurts. I see nothing wrong with not liking a million rain outs (he got pushed back a ton of times this season due to weather), most people aren't happy when they aren't performing the way they feel they should, long 5,6,7 hour bus rides do suck, and tattoos do hurt.... I have no problem with what he tweets. Its not like he is complaining about his team, or being a Brewer. Not a big fan of Wisconsin weather but who from Florida is. I've lived here my whole like and I complain like crazy about the crap weather, its all over the place.

So above average fastball, change-up, and curveball, good command, and good velocity but these "experts" say ceiling of reliever.... dumbfounding.

Experts and scouts get hung up on size a lot. I like to think of it as the "JM Gold syndrome", after one time Brewer #1 pick, a man-child at 6'5" 220 coming out of high school. I think size sometimes factors too much into projections, even though there have been tons of examples of normal size pitchers having success (Oswalt and Lincecum for instance). If Thornburg were 6'3" instead of 5'11", the "experts" opinions would be a lot different.

Archived