Your 2011 Wisconsin Timber Rattlers -- Latest: More from Instructional League

Mass Haas
  • Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Staff

Timber Rattlers Pitcher Trying to Get News from Tuscaloosa

By Jason Zimmerman, WBAY.com

The tornadoes in the southern states produced a scare for a member of the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers.

Pitcher Jimmy Nelson went to school at the University of Alabama in Tuscaloosa. He's thankful to find out most of his friends are doing OK.

It was just after Wednesday night's Timber Rattlers game that Nelson found out that a devastating tornado struck Tuscaloosa.

"I was shocked, because you always get tornado warnings and watches and all that, but you never think it will happen, you know? It's just crazy it would happen right there, and be that massive of a tornado, and do that much damage."

Nelson spent three years at the university. He says it's been to struggle to contact friends with most of the cell phone towers down.

"Even though, as of right now, knock on wood, I don't know of anybody that has been injured or killed by the, my heart goes out to them, and I'm hoping I don't get any bad news."

Still, the damage in Tuscaloosa has hit close to home. Nelson says, two of the houses he lived in attending school are gone. But he's thankful the university itself was somewhat spared.

"Down there they don't have basements, you know, so it's hard to find shelter, and that stuff happens so quick it's hard to take cover."

Nelson continued, "With stuff like this, it's unpredictable. It can take you by surprise, and you just can't take anything for granted."

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Changeup changes Nelson's attack

by Jesse Osborne, Post-Crescent staff writer

GRAND CHUTE — Everything about Jimmy Nelson screams power pitcher. Start with his size — 6-foot-6, 245 pounds — and move on to his stuff — a fastball and sinker that can register in excess of 90 mph, along with a hard slider.

But over the past couple of starts, the right-hander has introduced some more effective deception to go along with his grip-it-and-rip-it perception in the form of a refined changeup, a pitch that was regularly on display during Nelson's 6 1/3 innings of work during Saturday's 5-2 loss to the Clinton LumberKings at Time Warner Cable Field at Fox Cities Stadium.

"It's just one of those pitches that you have to develop to make it to the big leagues," Nelson said of the changeup. "This is where they want you to work on that. I've definitely thrown a lot more of them here, and I've been getting better results with it."

Nelson worked with pitching coach Chris Hook to improve his off-speed offering during side sessions over the past two weeks when weather issues postponed several games. Nelson tinkered with his changeup grip and now holds the ball "a little looser, a little bit farther out on my fingertips."

The results, in the two starts since the adjustment, have been encouraging.

"I've had a lot more command with it, and it's working a lot better than my old one was," said Nelson, whose changeup checks in around 80 mph. "The main thing for me hadn't been the velocity in the past with the changeup — it had been the command of it. I've thrown changeups in the past, but I didn't throw it enough for a strike for the other team to even factor that in as a pitch."

Now, opposing hitters have something else to think about when facing Nelson.

"He's got some comfort now. It feels good in his hand, and it feels like something he can attack with," Hook said. "He's really worked hard on it. He's got such a good sinker and he can just go ahead and say, 'Here's my sinker. Here's my changeup. These are going to act similar, but there's going to be a 10- to 12-mile (per hour) difference.' If you throw 93 (mph) and then an 81 (mph) changeup, it's really tough to hit.

"That's an exciting thing for him, and an exciting thing for our organization for a guy like him to be able to go to that changeup when he wants to."

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Timber Rattlers profile: No. 12 Austin Ross, pitcher

compiled by Mike Woods, Appleton Post-Crescent

Quick hits

- Position: Pitcher.

- Height, weight: 6-2, 200.

- Bats/throws: Right/right.

- Hometown: Shreveport, La.

- Notes: Selected by the Brewers in the eighth round of the 2010 First-Year Player Draft. ... Was a member of LSU's 2009 College World Series championship team. ... Earned all-SEC Academic Honor Roll recognition at LSU as a petroleum engineering major all three years (2008-10). ... Was named Midwest League pitcher of the week for week of April 17-24. ... Owns a 2-0 record with a 1.08 ERA, fourth-lowest in the Midwest League. ... Opponents are hitting .140 off him this season.

Favorites

MLB team growing up: "I don't think I had a certain favorite one. If I had to pick one, I'd say the Braves. I don't know why. My first Little League team was the Braves and that group, the kids I played with in Little League, we'd always be the Braves for some reason."

MLB player growing up: "Probably Chipper Jones. Obviously, for the same reason — we were the Braves and I started watching them."

Current MLB player: "Not sure if I have a favorite player. It's different now. They're almost your competitors now so you try not to look at them in awe. But my favorite players are probably guys that I know that are in the big leagues now, guys I throw with in the off-season. Scott Baker would be one. He's from Shreveport and he's with the Twins."

Sport other than baseball: "Definitely golf. I try to play a lot of golf. I played a good bit down in Phoenix during spring training and that kind of came to a halt when I came up here in the cold and freezing snow."

Food: "Anything my mom cooks. A home-cooked meal is good because, for six, seven months out of the year, I don't get any of those. My favorite meal is baked chicken with lima beans and rice."

Thing about Shreveport: "I do a lot of hunting in the off-season so that's probably my favorite thing. I duck hunt a lot. I have some friends who have farms so it's fun to be able to do those things with them."

Musical artist: "I'm big into country music. I like a lot of Texas country music. But no one specifically."

Q&A

Q: Given the horrible weather, are you surprised by your start?

A: "Maybe a little bit but I felt prepared coming up here. Someone was talking about the cold weather and I said I'm looking at it as more of an opportunity to get off to a fast start because it's a lot harder to hit in cold conditions. You ask anybody, no one wants to hit when it's 35 degrees out and the wind is blowing. It's tough to pitch in it, as well, but at least you're moving every pitch and you stay a lot warmer."

Q: What have you worked on?

A: "My fastball command so far has been really good. I've been able to command the ball on both sides of the plate and change speeds when I need to. Anytime you can command the ball on either side of the plate and down in the zone, you're going to have success. And then if you can work the ball back and forth, changing speeds, that's all pitching is."

Q: How do you feel about being name a Midwest League pitcher of the week?

A: "Someone told me when I walked into the locker room (Monday). I didn't even know it. It's good. I had a good outing. It's good to be honored for it. But I don't think there were even that many games last week. There probably weren't too many outings to go up against."

Q: What pitch would you like to master?

A: "I'd like to develop my change-up a little more. It's gotten better, a whole lot better than last year, and I developed it during spring training. I'm still working on it and developing it as a strong third pitch."

Q: What's the difference between learning a pitch and mastering a pitch?

A: "I think it's more just developing confidence in it and being able to throw it in any situation. Anyone can throw it 0-1. You're up by a lot, no one on base. It's when can you throw that pitch to get somebody out when it's 3-2, with the tying run on third base late in the game. I think you've mastered a pitch when you can throw it in any situation and you're confident enough to do it. But I don't think you ever really master a pitch. You're continually working to make those pitches better. Cy Young winners in the big leagues are doing that."

Q: What is your routine between starts?

A: "Between my last start, a lot of stuff, because it will be nine days between my two starts. But most of the time it's five days. So the day after, it's going to be a light-throwing day, whatever your arm needs. Then I'll work out and lift really hard that next day. The day after is my bullpen day, doing upper body lifts, and the following day I kind of like to stretch it out a little bit and, the day before my start, just throw it light and easy."

Q: Do you ever have to fight boredom?

A: "No, not really. Especially with every five days. Just about the time your arm is feeling good, you're back up on the hill. So that's good. In college, it was seven days and you could throw really well one outing and then you'd be like: 'I've got another seven days until I can get back out there.' I like the quicker turnaround. You're continually working on things to build up to that next start so I don't really get bored. It's like looking forward to the weekend."

Q: LSU has won six College World Series titles since 1991. What's it like to play at a school with such high expectations?

A: "It's definitely helped me a lot in my maturing process and helped me learn to not let things affect me. Everything you do there is under a microscope. There is no college place in the country that is like that. I don't think it's really like that until you get to the big leagues. I mean, every aspect is under the microscope. You throw good and everybody is behind you. You throw bad and everyone is calling for you not to start your next time, questioning 'Why didn't you take him out? Why is he still pitching?' You kind of get some thick skin but it was definitely a wonderful experience."

Q: What was it like to attend a football game in Death Valley?

A: "It's about as fun as it gets. Baseball is big there but baseball is a notch down from football. It was just fun. A lot of times, we'd have practice in the morning and then just go out and walk out straight from practice and just start tailgating with everybody. That place is unreal on Saturday night."

Q: What is your most prized sports possession?

A: "Right now, I'd have to definitely say my national championship ring. That's as good as it gets in college baseball. We played our last game and won it."

Q: What is the best advice you received?

A: "Someone told me one time: 'Don't believe what anybody says that's too good or too bad. Just stay even-keeled and do your job.' "

Q: How did you get your middle name of North?

A: "I get that a lot. That's my dad's middle name, too, but it is his mom's maiden name. She was one of four sisters. Obviously, the name wasn't going to continue, so my grandmother gave my dad the middle name of North and then they in turn gave it to me. So we'll probably just keep going from here on, keep the name in the family."

Tool Box

Timber Rattlers pitching coach Chris Hook breaks down Austin Ross:

"I think he's doing what we expected him to do. I think he's an experienced guy. He's a strike thrower. He throws all three pitches for strikes. On an A-ball level, when you do that, you'll have a lot of success. But we want to continue to do more. We can't regress from this point. And, obviously, as you go and try to be a big league starter — A-ball guys are going to get away with some things — we want to continue to sharpen up what he's doing and continue on how he's thrown so far.

"I think he's got a good change-up. Last outing was a great example. He went through the lineup the first time without throwing a breaking ball. I think that really showed him that the change-up is a big pitch for him and for him to get a little bit better feel for that. I think he can throw it any count, any time. I think he just needs to trust it. The trust in the change-up to me is his biggest hurdle right now.

"Fastball command is his strength. He commands all his pitches very well but fastball command is his strength. If he wants to put it on the outer half, he'll put it on the outer half. He doesn't miss in. He doesn't miss middle. He puts it there. When you do that at this level, you're going to have a lot of success."

Austin Ross of the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers is 2-0 with a 1.08 ERA so far this season. / Post-Crescent photo by Dan Powers

http://cmsimg.postcrescent.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=U0&Date=20110501&Category=APC020602&ArtNo=105010614&Ref=AR&MaxW=300&Border=0

"I think he's got a good change-up. Last outing was a great example. He went through the lineup the first time without throwing a breaking ball. I think that really showed him that the change-up is a big pitch for him and for him to get a little bit better feel for that. I think he can throw it any count, any time. I think he just needs to trust it. The trust in the change-up to me is his biggest hurdle right now.
Baseball America said in their handbook that Ross had a below-average changeup, so that's promising stuff right there. I love the coaches' comments in these player profiles.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Thanks to Chris Mehring for pointing this out...Ty Goes to the Pitcher

by Bob Brainerd, sports32.com

At 6-0, 188 pounds, Timber Rattlers pitcher Tyler Thornburg is anything but intimidating in appearance on the mound. A drink of water in size compared to a handful of the other pitchers on the current Wisconsin roster, Thornburg still packs a punch when he toes the rubber, understanding that size matters only when it comes to your heart and willingness to utilize the baseball gifts from within.

“First off, God given ability for my arm strength,” said Thornburg, when asked to detail where he generates his power on the mound. “And probably a little bit of genetics from my parents. But it’s something I’ve worked on, looking at mechanics, trying to figure out where my arm slot is as far as how fast I am throwing at that time using my rotator cuff, triceps and forearm all to work together to create the maximum velocity.”

His mother Dottye, a Junior Olympic swimmer back in the day, helped provide the athleticism. She was also a handful of family members tabbed by Tyler to keep him sharp, but it wasn’t crouching down in the backyard so the youngster could practice throwing strikes into a mitt.

“I would always get my grandma, my mom, my dad, whoever was around to throw extra BP to me, throw Wiffleballs…whatever I could do to get better in hitting because that was something I really enjoyed doing,” said Thornburg.

You see, this pitcher was a hitter first. Thornburg enjoyed swinging for the fences so much he pulled double duty in high school and then college, where he was a two-way standout at Charleston Southern University in South Carolina. Tyler hit and pitched his way into the spotlight, tabbed a Second Team All-Big South player in 2010. But at some point, there had to be that proverbial fork in the road.

“There was, early on in college when I played both and I was doing a little bit better hitting than pitching,” said Thornburg. “But when I started getting into my sophomore and junior years, started getting a lot of attention as far as pitching, my college coach kind of maneuvered me to pitch more, get my bullpens in rather than take some extra hacks in the cage, so I could get geared more toward a future in pitching.”

Even though the upside was brighter, it was a gut twisting tussle for Thornburg to retire the bat along with chasing down balls in the outfield. Not easy for a player with legit power (24 career home runs at Charleston Southern, fourth most in Buccaneers history)

making full throttle, on the run circus catches.

“It was fun playing the outfield,” said Thornburg with a grin. “That was my freshman year, and I loved playing in the outfield, getting a chance to throw guys out trying to take extra bases…that was the most fun.

“As hard as it is to stop hitting, because hitting is a lot more fun than pitching because you get to play every day, but I know it’s what I needed to do. And I’m willing to give it all I’ve got to make that next step in pitching.”

There was never any wavering once Thornburg bought into the notion of plying his trade on the bump instead of the batter’s box.

“I was always on the computer looking at ways to improve arm strength, mechanics to improve my arm,” said Thornburg. “I think there’s been a little bit of a change once I got here (Appleton). I’ve been concentrating more on how to work on my command rather than velocity. I’ve got it up to where I think I can be successful and I’m pretty much maxed out for my size. But now I’m working on command and trying to throw to both sides of the plate and keep the ball down.”

Work began in earnest last season, when Thornburg kick started his professional career with the Brewers. Selected in the third round, Tyler had supporters on hand to wait out the moment.

“They were all at my house, family and friends, about 15 people sitting and watching it on the computer because I didn’t go in the first round, so it wasn’t on TV,” said Thornburg. “But it was definitely exciting. My parents were the most excited, apart from me. They were jumping up and down, and it was real fun.”

And how long does the fun last?

“You have your time for being excited, but then you’ve kind of got to move on in the next couple of days,” said Thornburg. “It’s time to begin to work harder than the next person.”

Aware that the spotlight would shadow a lofty draft pick, Thornburg made the most of his trip to the Brewers rookie team in Helena. Just as he was a student of the game back in college, Thornburg found out class was always in session in Montana.

“In Helena, all I tried to do was blow it by guys,” said Thornburg. “And then I learned going to instructs that if you throw it to both sides of the plate, you can throw it five miles per hour less. If you’re down in the zone, you’re going to get guys out without wasting a bunch of your energy trying to strike everyone out.

“You just have to take your game to the next level. You’ve been pitching against college hitters, and it helps that I get to go to face wood (bats), but you’ve got all of these much better hitters. It’s like facing the three and four guys in college one through nine. You’ve just got to try and prove that you were worth that pick and that you can make it in the bigs.”

Able to notch 98 mph when he dials it up for some serious heat, Thornburg’s ticket just might be his nasty curveball. It has been a decade in the making, but may be in need of a tune-up tweak.

“I developed that when I was about 12,” said Thornburg.” “It’s funny because I actually just changed the grip this year. Didn’t change the grip from when I was 12 to this spring actually. I wasn’t throwing it for enough strikes, because as you get into the higher levels hitters stop swinging at that bouncing curveball that I had success with in college and last year. So now I’ve tried to develop a grip to throw more strikes with it and still be able to do similar stuff.”

Thornburg dominated the Pioneer League, posting an ERA of 1.93 in nine games. He punched out 38 batters in 23 innings of work, and perhaps most noteworthy, Tyler never glanced back in the rearview mirror to his days as a position player.

“I enjoy being up there knowing that the entire game is based on how well you do,” said Thornburg.” If you do badly, your team is probably going to lose. If you do really well, there’s no chance that you’re going to lose.

“I love having that kind of dependency on me, but I kind of wish I could do a little bit of both…maybe hit a home run here and there to help out when the hitters aren’t doing too hot.

“Yeah, I love being up on that mound.”

http://www.sports32.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Thornburg-4.jpg

http://www.sports32.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Thornburg-newest.jpg

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Timber Rattlers profile: No. 11 Reggie Keen, outfielder

Quick hits

- Position: Center fielder.

- Height, weight: 5-foot-11, 176.

- Hometown: Danville, Va.

- Notes: Signed by the Milwaukee Brewers as a non-drafted free agent on June 18, 2010. ... Graduated from Radford University with a degree in sports administration. ... As a senior, hit .353 with six homers, 49 RBI and 31 stolen bases and earned second-team all-Big South honors. ... Through Friday, hitting .253 with the Rattlers. ... Leads the Timber Rattlers in stolen bases with 12, which ranks tied for fourth in the Midwest League.

Favorites

- MLB team growing up: "Atlanta Braves. I'm from Danville, Va., and we have a rookie team, the Danville Braves, and I grew up watching them play and then wanting to see them play in Atlanta."

- MLB player growing up: "Andruw Jones. He's a centerfielder, I play outfield and I tried to model myself after how he played. Not some of the catches he made, but play aggressive like he did."

- Sport other than baseball: "I'm a big basketball guy. I played AAU and the city league, but once I got to high school, I mostly focused on baseball."

- Food: "Spaghetti. My mom cooks a really good spaghetti."

- Thing about Danville: "Probably the Braves."

- TV show: " 'SportsCenter,' by far."

- Musical artist: "I'm a Biggie fan. So it's B.I.G."

- Athlete to watch: "Terrell Owens. Because he's a guy who, I feel, goes out and wants to prove a lot of people wrong. And I like that. Kind of like the underdog in many ways. And he's been known to prove a lot of people wrong."

- NFL Team: "Dallas Cowboys. Die-hard fan. Born and raised."

Q&A

Q: How did you hurt your wrist last year and how disappointing was that?

A: "I got hit by a 93 mph fastball and broke two bones in my hand. I was disappointed and I got down a little bit because I was having such a good start (batting .348 after 17 games), but things happen. The Lord has a plan for everybody. I was just glad to go to Arizona, get a great doctor and have the surgery. … I was fortunate enough to play in instructional league and it hasn't bothered my since."

Q: How did you end up at Radford University?

A: "I was a recruited walk-on. Coming out of high school, I really didn't go to too many showcases or Perfect Game (a collegiate summer league) things. Growing up, I didn't have an older brother or any cousins who played baseball, so I was kind of oblivious to how the whole thing worked. Well, one of my buddies I played with in school became a student-assistant at Radford and he told me to check them out and I called up there and they basically told me that I could grab a spot in the fall season. So I went up there and played well in the fall and they brought me back for the spring.

"I actually was on a recruiting visit to Virginia Tech and on my way home when I stopped by Radford and I told my father 'I don't want to go to Radford. What's Radford?' But then when I got there I saw the campus and how everybody was so open and friendly and I was drawn more into going to Radford. I thought it was a great decision."

Q: What do you hope to do with your degree in sports management?

A: "My concentration was sports marketing. I love to do marketing, promotionals and advertising. Before I got signed by the Brewers, I worked for the Danville Braves and I was a marketing and sales trainee. My responsibility was to set up nightly promotions, kind of like they do here, and I thought it was fun. So that's what I want to do after baseball."

Q: You never had to dress up and do the mascot thing, did you?

A: "(Laughs). I did have to do the mascot thing. You heard the story about that, huh?"

Q: No I didn't, tell me.

A: "The story that the guys always tease me about is that I was the mascot. I wasn't the mascot. One of our guys didn't show up for that day — the mascot had an appearance at a day care — so I told my boss I'll do it. I'll fill in for him. I went to this day care for two hours in this big bird suit — his name was Blooper — playing around with the kids and everything, sweating, and in my mind I'm saying 'I'll never get back in this suit again.'

"And when I got back to my car, I had four or five missed calls, a couple of text messages from my college coach saying, 'Hey man, you'd better pick up the phone because that's a scout calling you. You're going to play some ball.' So I thought about that. He (the scout) said 'You want to play some ball?' I said 'Sure.' He sent me the contract that day at work and, a couple of days later, I was flying to Helena (Mont., home of the Brewers rookie league team)."

Q: Were you disappointed you didn't get drafted?

A: "Yes, I was. But, like I said, things happen. I was very fortunate enough to get that call. Somewhere down the line, my scout, Dan Nellum, saw me play and gave me a shot. So now I'm going to make the best of it."

Q: You seem to be a guy who plays with a chip on your shoulder. True?

A: "I mean, in high school, I didn't get many college letters, so I had that chip on my shoulder. I wanted to go out and prove a lot of people wrong and basically show them that I can play. In college, I didn't get a lot of recognition, as far as postseason accolades or first-team all-conference stuff. I did receive it my senior year, second-team all-conference, but I felt like I should have got more. Now, here, I'm just trying to prove I can play and can play at the next level and, hopefully, I'll be able to do so."

Q: Any significance to No. 11?

A: "Eleven used to be my high school number. I wore 21 in college. They kind of gave that to me so I wore 21 throughout college. I wanted 21 this year, but Frankie Romero had that. So I kind of wanted to go back a little bit and I got 11."

A: "Probably it would have to be my glove. That thing saves me a lot of times. I need that wherever I play. I've had this same model glove for four, five years now. I got it my senior year in high school and, every two years, I get a new glove and I get the same kind of glove."

Q: So what would hurt you more, losing your glove or your phone?

A: "The phone. The phone would be way worse. You can't do anything without that phone."

Q: What's the best advice you've received?

A: "Just play hard every day. You can't teach effort. You can't teach that daily grind. You have to have that within you. If I was to talk to any kids who wanted to play the sport, you've got to give it your all every day. And don't let up because baseball is a tough sport and you're going to go through ups and downs, and when you're down, try to stay positive all the time. It's tough but you just have to do it."

Q: Did you have any interest in the Royal Wedding?

A: "No, but I kind of tweeted about it and said I'd rather be watching these (NBA) playoffs than the Royal Wedding. But this morning, I did check it our for about 10 minutes to see what the big hype was and there were a lot of people. It was cool."

Q: You're a long ways from home. What are you going to do for Mother's Day?

A: "My mother is coming out here. She will be here on Mother's Day and I'll be very happy to see her. We'll probably go out to eat or something after the game and kind of just hang out with her and enjoy it."

The Tool Box

Timber Rattlers manager Matt Erickson breaks down center fielder Reggie Keen:

"It's a great story. It's kind of shocking, to be honest with you, because the kid's got some tools. He can run a little bit. He finds a way to put the bat on the ball. He's got a nice arm and some accuracy. I'm kind of glad he fell through the cracks and we got him. Last year, I know he turned some heads a little bit and then it was unfortunate he got the injury. So this is really his first extended time in professional baseball.

"His main strength to me right now — because offense comes and goes with everybody — is defensively. He's really done a nice job pre-pitch. We talk about communication all the time and reading hitters and seeing their tendencies in their swings and he's really good at communication with the other outfielders. And right now, we have some interchangeable parts but he's kind of been a staple in center field. He does a nice job of moving with the counts and the hitters and making sure the corner outfielders are adjusting with him. And he goes and gets it.

"I think the area he needs to work on most is pitch selection at the plate. Because he can run a little bit, because he can steal a base and he's able to put the ball in play on a line, I think if he shrunk his zone a little bit earlier in counts — he sometimes is too aggressive early in counts and gets himself in bad situations — I think early in the count if he shrunk his zone and won his at-bats early in the count, he'd get better pitches to hit and his on-base percentage would go up a little bit because he is a weapon on the bases."

Thanks for posting this properly for me Mass! I didn't have time to label each photo but they do follow the batting order from Saturday in reverse order (thanks Photobucket for loading them that way) http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

The batting order was as follows:

1. Shaw, N 2B-SS

2. Mittelstaedt RF-2B

3. Hawn 1B

4. Walker DH

5. Dennis LF

6. Hopkins 3B

7. Pechek C

- Romero, F PR

- Roberts, T C

8. George SS

-Garvey RF

9. Keen CF

There is also a pic of the former Brewers farmhand Freddy Parejo.

@BrewCrewCritic on Twitter "Racing Sausages" - "Huh?"

Chris Mehring/Wisconsin Timber Rattlers

Left-handed Brewers reliever Zach Braddock is scheduled to make a rehab start for the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers on Thursday night at Time Warner Cable Field.

He went on the disabled list with a sleep disorder. The road back to the big leagues starts on Thursday against Cedar Rapids. I heard that Braddock will pitch an inning. Then, Austin Ross will come on to pitch on his regular day.

Game time is 6:35pm. Tickets available at (800) WI-TIMBER, (920) 733-4152, or in person at the Time Warner Cable Field Box Office.

Bob Brainerd/Sports32

The back-story on how William Cody Hawn made his way into the Milwaukee Brewers organization reads like a Wisconsin roadmap with the pavement under construction. Along the way you’ll encounter lane closures, detours, bottleneck traffic and long overdue repairs.

“I put a lot of pressure on myself and didn’t start out so good,” said Hawn, now a member of the Class A Wisconsin Timber Rattlers.

Hawn was drafted in the sixth round in 2010 by the Brewers out of the University of Tennessee. He was earmarked to be the hometown hero, born and raised in Knoxville. Cody himself set his sights on sporting Volunteer orange one day.

“I always wanted to be, without a doubt,” said Hawn. “I always thought I could have the opportunity to if I worked hard enough and things played out like they were supposed to.”

But slow down. Road construction ahead. Cody didn’t sign with Tennessee at first, instead choosing to play baseball at Arkansas. But Hawn never had an at bat for the Razorbacks, tearing his ACL two weeks before his senior season of prep baseball.

“I had some trouble with recovery, it just didn’t feel right,” explained Hawn. “They (Arkansas) wanted me to come and red-shirt for a year, but I didn’t want to do that. I ended up going to junior college for a year.”

It turned out to be the proper path for Hawn, who posted gaudy freshman numbers at Walters State Community College. Smacking 23 home runs with 71 RBI and a .401 batting average made Hawn a slam dunk choice as the Tennessee Junior and Community College Athletic Association Player of the Year. The Volunteers took notice, and signed up Hawn.

Detour…

“It was an awful struggle,” Hawn recalls. “Just for the fact I was a hometown kid, people were excited for me to be there and I tried to do too much. My first 15 games or so I was hitting like .088. And I just didn’t think I was ever going to come out of it.

“It hit me a little harder than it did everybody else. I had guys asking me ‘what’s the matter, what’s the problem?’ because I’ve always been able to hit.”

Luckily, the homegrown product didn’t have to travel far to assist him over this bump in the road.

“I actually had a talk with my parents and they just said ‘you’re not enjoying it right now, you’ve got to go out and have fun and do what you always did,’” said Hawn. “People are always going to be proud of you no matter the outcome. After that happened, things turned around for me and I really enjoyed it.

“I put a lot of things on myself, but once the weight was lifted it went well.”

Hawn shook off a bout with mono and a shoulder injury and dialed himself in for the next two seasons in Knoxville. He relished playing college baseball in his Tennessee “backyard” after early childhood days of doing just that in the real one back home.

“One of the first things I remember was when I was three years old, playing Wiffleball with my parents and things like that,” said Hawn. “I’ve had a love of the game from about that time on. But I really became more interested in it when I started going to University of Tennessee baseball games because it was like ten minutes from my house. I was very lucky. My parents were very supportive of me and kept me around the game…they’re a big reason why I’m here today.”

Hawn was front and center to map out his future watching former Tennessee standout Todd Helton play for the Volunteers back in the day. Helton is a Hawn favorite, and Cody modeled his game after that of the Colorado Rockies first baseman.

“I met him once when I was like five or six years old, then met him once when I was like 12 or 13, and I actually got to sit down and talk for a little bit,” said Hawn. “I was kind of star struck at the time, I mean; this was when he was in the prime of his career with the Colorado Rockies, hitting .300 with 40 bombs a year. I just enjoyed the moment of being with him though.”

Whatever Hawn was able to sponge from Helton translated into a Triple Crown season in 2009 when Cody hit .384 with 22 home runs and 81 RBI, just the tenth player in school history to pull off the team trifecta. Helton (6-2, 215) and Hawn (6-1, 215) are an inch away from an identical body frame, but hardly the strapping size of most first basemen in the game today…begging the question where Hawn generates his power stroke.

“I kind of wonder that from time to time myself,” laughed Hawn. “It’s all about me staying short and having a good approach at the plate. I’m not trying to do too much with it and being relaxed. The smoother I am, the better it helps me not trying to do too much with the ball.”

Drafted by the Brewers for the second time (Hawn was selected by Milwaukee in the 23rd round in 2007 and by Oakland in the 41st round in 2008 but did not sign either time) he embarked on attacking the Pioneer League. Hawn produced an encore performance of his eye-popping seasons with the Volunteers, tying for the rookie league top spot in RBI (61) and sprinkling his name among the league leaders in home runs (13) extra-base hits (33) doubles (20) and slugging percentage (.542). A bust out All Star season at Helena was certain to get the attention of the Brewers brass back in Milwaukee, but hardly satisfying to Hawn.

“Hitting is a struggle day in and day out regardless of when I was younger or now, it’s just trying to stay in control and not try to do too much with pitches,” said Hawn. “It’s hard to do sometimes, but you’ve got to really focus on it.”

Even after having “a night I’ll never forget” to win the Pioneer League Championship, when Hawn nailed two home runs and drove in eight to secure the hardware for Helena, Hawn continues to tinker with his craft at the dish. His baseball scenery is ever changing and so are his coaches and mentors along the way. But there is a constant resource available day and night.

“My dad (Jeff) definitely,” said Hawn. “We were out there doing it every day since I can remember and the majority of the stuff I learned from him. It’s good to sit down and talk to him. Sometimes, not so much because he’ll get on me from time to time because he notices little things, which is good.

“Some people came in and tweaked some things here and there and I picked up some good habits from college, here (Appleton), and my high school coach. But it’s definitely good to have him though. He’s always in my corner and he knows me best.”

Father may know best, but so does the son. Wiffleball days and idol worship is over for Hawn, who must now bring his game face to the real world workplace.

“Now it’s a job, it’s a business day in and day out,” said Hawn. “Going to college helped me out with that a lot. I feel like I grew up and matured a lot. You just have to know now that this is serious, this is when you make your paycheck and this is something I want to do the rest of my life. It makes you want to dedicate yourself a lot more.”

There is still roadwork on the horizon, but Hawn is hoping for a smoother ride along the way. And this highway does have a destination point worthy of dreams…the big leagues.

“I’m here preparing myself for that day, trying to get better day in, day out with all the little things,” said Hawn, who admits he dreams about playing in the majors every day. “It’s awesome. It’s going to be everything that I wanted. The competition and living the lifestyle…going out and playing baseball and not having to worry about anything else.”

http://www.sports32.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Hawn-smaller4-199x300.jpg http://www.sports32.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Hawn-smaller-2-300x200.jpg

Tom Haudricourt/Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

With the June amateur draft only a few weeks away, it's a good time to look back to the Brewers' top selections in 2010 to see how those players are doing.

As Brewers fans know, first-round pick Dylan Covey, a prep right-hander out of Pasadena, Calif., discovered in a team-mandated physical he has Type 1 diabetes and didn't sign. But the Brewers took a bunch of pitchers in the following rounds, most of whom are pitching at Class A Wisconsin.

Of that group, the one off to the best start is right-hander Austin Ross, an eighth-rounder out of LSU. Ross, 22, was the Brewers' minor-league pitcher of the month for April and has continued to excel in May.

Through seven games (six starts), Ross is 4-1 with a 1.85 earned run average. In 43 2/3 innings, he has allowed only 28 hits and 12 walks while logging 45 strikeouts.

Brewers minor-league pitching coordinator Lee Tunnell has been impressed with Ross, on and off the field.

"From the first time you meet him, he's very professional," said Tunnell. "He presents himself well, takes his job seriously and has a vision to be a major-league pitcher. He's intelligent and focused.

"So, if you ask if we are surprised by his success, no we are not surprised at all."

Ross throws his fastball in the 88-92 mph range and with great command. He has a solid slider and has shown improvement with his changeup.

Right-hander Jimmy Nelson, a second-rounder out of Alabama, and righty Matt Miller, a fifth-rounder out of Michigan, also are pitching in the Timber Rattlers' rotation. But perhaps the most interesting pitcher there is right-hander Tyler Thornburg, taken in the third round out of Charleston Southern.

Because he is smallish - 5-foot-10, 185 pounds - and has an unusual delivery, Thornburg drew comparisons to Tim Lincecum before the draft. And he does have a live arm, throwing his fastball in the mid-90s with regularity.

Through six starts, Thornburg is 2-0 with a 2.10 ERA, with 14 walks and 34 strikeouts in 30 innings. Because of his unusual style of pitching and smallish frame, there are some concerns about his health going forward, but he is definitely worth watching.

Thornburg also played right field at Charleston Southern. If you go to YouTube and enter "
," you'll see some entertaining highlights of his defensive prowess there.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Timber Rattlers profile: No. 15 Cody Hawn, first baseman

Quick hits

- Position: First base/ DH.

- Height, weight: 6-1, 215.

- Bats/throws: Left / right.

- Hometown: Knoxville, Tenn.

- Notes: Selected by the Brewers in the sixth round of the 2010 First-Year Player Draft. … Was drafted by the Brewers in 2007 and Oakland in 2008 but declined to sign each time. … Named a Pioneer League all-star last season and finished the year hitting .308 with 13 HRs and 61 RBI. … Attended the University of Tennessee his sophomore and junior seasons and in 2009 became the 10th player to win the Team Triple Crown Award, hitting .364 with 22 HR and 81 RBI.

Favorites

- MLB team growing up: "I was a huge Atlanta Braves fan growing up. They were the team that was on TV every night. They were good at the time, too."

- MLB player growing up: "Growing up, it's always been Todd Helton. Just because he's from Knoxville and I got to watch him in college and then when he made it to the Rockies."

- Sport other than baseball: "I like basketball. I grew up playing it for a good bit. I like a little bit of everything but basketball is probably my favorite."

- Food: "Steak, without a doubt. There's a prime rib back at home at this place called The Old Steakhouse. It's pretty well known around Knoxville. You can't beat that — best thing I've ever had."

- Thing about Knoxville: "The University of Tennessee and athletics in general. Going to the football games, things like that. I actually lucked out. My best friend from high school, his uncle is in charge of field maintenance (at Neyland Stadium) so I get sideline passes to all the football games. That's probably my favorite thing to do in Knoxville."

- TV show: "I like a bunch of different ones. I like 'Family Guy' a lot. I just started watching '24.' I know I'm a little bit behind the times on that but it's pretty neat. And 'Entourage.' Those are probably my three favorite at the moment."

- Musical artist: "I like Shinedown because the lead singer of the band went to my high school. I don't know him but I know him through people, so it's pretty cool. And I'm a big Incubus fan."

- NFL team: "The Titans for sure. I was a big Brett Favre fan growing up, so when I was younger, I was a Packers fan. But when the Titans moved to Nashville, I started following them a lot more."

Q&A

Q: What has the experience been like, starting off slow and finding your groove?

A: "It feels good to start finally seeing some balls drop. It was a little rough there at the beginning. I really didn't get overly frustrated with what was going on. I was making pretty good contact and I really didn't change my approach all that much. It just didn't seem that I could get anything to fall in when I wanted to. Things are starting to even out now, my confidence is starting to build and it's helping that the team is starting to play better."

Q: What is your confidence level at this point?

A: "Riding pretty high. I feel pretty good every night with every guy that's going out there on the mound right now."

Q: You started out at a junior college. How did you end up at Tennessee?

A: "That was a crazy process. Actually, out of high school, I signed with the University of Arkansas. Me and Matty (Rattlers manager Matt Erickson, who played for the Razorbacks), talk about that. But I tore my ACL like two weeks before my senior year and I didn't get to play at all. So I was doing the whole rehab thing. When I started getting near the end of rehab, (Arkansas) called and said 'Hey, we still want you to come but you're probably going to redshirt,' things like that. I didn't think that was the right idea for me.

"I ended up getting drafted by the Brewers out of high school. I turned that down. I thought a junior college would be my best bet because I could stay in the draft and I could test the knee out a little bit. Went there for a year, liked it a lot and the opportunity came up that I could go to Tennessee and that's what I always wanted to do."

Q: What was your overall experience at Tennessee?

A: "It was a tremendous experience. I followed Todd Helton and Tennessee baseball a lot growing up. I really modeled my game after him and Todd has a pretty big part in what I'm doing here today. He really piqued my interest in the sport of baseball. It was cool being there, playing first base like he did. Got close to a couple of his records. From a baseball standpoint, that was the cool part. And then I was close to home. I could see my family every day. Got to have home-cooked meals. A lot of college kids don't get that."

Q: Did you ever get to meet Helton?

A: "I've met him a couple of times. It's been a while. The last time I ran into him, I was like 12 or 13 years old and I actually got to sit down and talk to him for like 15 minutes. I was kind of in shock at the moment because probably at the time he was at the peak of his career, hitting .330 with 40 homers every year. So it was pretty cool to meet the idol."

Q: What did you think of (former UW-Milwaukee basketball coach) Bruce Pearl?

A: "I loved Bruce. He did a lot for not only the basketball team but for Knoxville. We didn't have a basketball team before him, really. We started out and got 6,000 or 8,000 people there a night and within the first year of him being there they were packing the place. I hate to see him go, but things happen and I'm sure he'll find a job somewhere else."

Q: So do you sometimes still hear "Rocky Top" in your sleep?

A: "Man, if you've been to Knoxville, you know that song by heart. They play it any chance they get. If I wasn't a fan of Knoxville and didn't grow up there, you'd probably hate it, as much as it gets played."

Q: So what was it like on the sideline at Neyland Stadium during a Vols game?

A: "It's so crazy. I once was sitting there thinking 'Well, if something happens with baseball, I may go back and start playing football.' Well, those thoughts go away pretty quickly when you're over there on the sideline. It seems like every guy is 6-foot-5, 260, at least. You get guys running out of bounds toward you and you think 'No way am I ever going to hit that guy.' "

Q: Is Peyton Manning still god-like down there?

A: "Oh yeah. We still have Peyton Manning Pass. That's on campus. He's loved, without a doubt. He did something that nobody else really ever did at Tennessee. He just missed out winning the national championship but he was such a good leader I felt like he taught those guys that ended up winning it after him how to win, how to do things. With all the things he's accomplished, he's very much loved in Knoxville."

Q: You've been drafted three times. What has that been like?

A: "The first go-around, I didn't know too awful much about it. Probably got my hopes up more than I should have. The second time, a weird situation. Got drafted real late and didn't really think much of it and, without a doubt, I was excited about going to college and I matured a lot. And I was excited the Brewers got me because I felt most comfortable with them. I got to know most of the scouts. Garth Iorg, their first-base coach now, I've known him all my life. It just seemed like a really good fit at the time and it's been awesome."

A: "Obviously, I love my ring I got in Helena. Just because not a lot of people get to come in their first year and win a championship, and just everything about that experience was awesome. We had a good group of guys and I felt like we clicked from day one and I just felt like it was so much fun. We got hot at the right time. It's almost kind of hard to describe because it just seemed everything went our way there at the end and it's just something you'll never forget for the rest of your life."

Q: Who is the person you admire most?

A: "Definitely my parents, without a doubt. They've been there through everything growing up. They've taught me everything I know pretty much about baseball, from all the small things. And just the person they've helped me become. I really appreciate that. They follow me (now) almost every night, watch my games, always checking up on me. They're always there for me."

Q: Your given first name is William. Why do you go by your middle name, Cody?

A: "Actually I didn't choose it. My parents chose it for me. They actually named me after Buffalo Bill Cody, which is kind of crazy. I really don't know the full story to that. It just apparently sounded good to them and then I guess they just decided Cody was better than William. So that's what they went with."

Q: What is the best advice you've received?

A: "My dad used to say this, and this has probably stuck with me the most: He always told me to show no face. And what he meant by that was no matter how bad things were going or how good they're going, you've got to keep kind of a plain mentality. You can't get too high, too low or too down because baseball is such a tough sport. Try not to get frustrated and just try and go out and do your job everyday."

Q: There've been a lot of roving instructors here of late. What do you gain from that?

A: "Just a plethora of knowledge coming through those guys. Darnell Coles is in town right now and I love him being here because I feel like he knows my swing better than I do. It's kind of funny to say, but he picks up on such little things so quick and it just seems like the light clicks on when he's around and you realize 'Wow, I didn't even realize I was doing that.'

"They do such a good job, not only him but Reggie Williams our outfield and base-running coach, and Bob Miscik, our infield guy. Just the small things they teach you. Things you kind of overlook and they tell you this thing and it ends up helping out so much. That's the big thing with it is you just learn how to play the game."

The Tool Box

Timber Rattlers manager Matt Erickson breaks down Cody Hawn:

"He's probably our best all-around hitter, I would say, as far as contact, gap-to-gap, knowing the strike zone. He's been in our three hole every day. In my mind, that's what you want in your three hole — a guy who makes consistent contact, can hit righties, can hit lefties. He's always upbeat when he comes to the yard.

"What has been surprising to me is he, obviously, is not tremendously fleet of foot, but he runs the bases well. He's a decent base runner. He gets dirt-ball leads. He goes from first to third when he can. He's a pretty good student of the game.

"Also, defensively, his footwork around the base … we've turned more 3-6-3's or 3-6-1's (double plays) this year than I think we've turned in the past two years and it's strictly because of him and his footwork and how he delivers the ball. He's probably surprised me more defensively, how solid he has been at first base, than with the bat."

Timber Rattlers first baseman Cody Hawn has modeled his game after Todd Helton of the Rockies. / Post-Crescent photo by Wm. Glasheen

http://cmsimg.postcrescent.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=U0&Date=20110515&Category=APC020602&ArtNo=105150585&Ref=AR&MaxW=640&Border=0

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Both Chris (and we) wished this had happened in the Florida State League, but congratulations nonetheless --

Midwest League Player of the Week

Chris Dennis, Wisconsin

.421/.500/.895, 6 G, 8-for-19, 2 2B, 2 3B, HR, 9 RBI, 4 RS, 1 BB, 5 K, 0 SB, 1 CS

After struggling in the Florida State League for the start of the season, Brewers farmhand Chris Dennis has regained his confidence back in the Midwest League, where he hit .270 with 18 homers in 2010. Dennis banged out two hits on Monday, Tuesday and Thursday, and he knocked his way aboard in every game of the week until Saturday's 0-for-4 cool-off. He tripled and plated two runs Tuesday and delivered a grand slam on Wednesday. On Thursday, he doubled and tripled, and called upon to pinch hit on Friday, he came through with a double.

Curt Rallo/Special to MLB.com

As far as Wisconsin Timber Rattlers pitcher Austin Ross is concerned, a roiling sea of purple and gold in steamy Baton Rouge is perfect preparation for the pressure cooker of pro baseball.

Ross, a 6-foot-2, 200-pound right-hander, endured the intensity of SEC baseball and is thriving for the Timber Rattlers. The 22-year-old eighth-round Draft pick of the Milwaukee Brewers in 2010 is a sizzling 5-1 with a 1.64 ERA. Midwest League opponents are only hitting .176 against Ross.

Helping LSU win the College World Series in 2009 and standing up to the heat of Tiger Nation helped forge Ross' precious mettle on the mound.

"It's a huge help in pro ball to have played at LSU," Ross said. "There's no place like it. There's a lot of pressure to perform. You play in front of 10,000 fans every night. There's tons of press coverage. You're under the microscope."

"If you're throwing bad and the team is not doing well, everybody calling for your head," said Ross, a native of Shreveport. "If you're throwing well, you're on the front page of the paper and everybody loves you. You learn to get a thick skin pretty quick. LSU prepares you for a lot of things in baseball. With LSU fans, it's College World Series or bust. They expect the best from you."

Another tremendous asset for Ross is growing up as a pitcher under the tutelage of former San Francisco Giants pitcher Scott Garrelts, who also makes Shreveport home. Ross' father golfed with Garrelts one day and asked the former big leaguer if he would give his then-10-year old son a few tips. Garrelts went beyond a few tips. He mentored Ross through high school, and still stays in touch.

"Even in college, we'd talk every few weeks," Ross said. "He'd watch games at LSU on the internet. He knows my tendencies and knows if I'm getting out of sync. Now, we talk about the experience, because he's been through this. In the offseason, I threw three or four bullpens with him watching. He knows me better than anybody. It's a huge advantage. I'm thankful to have somebody like him help me."

Transitioning from college to pro ball has been exceptional for Ross.

"Pitching every fifth day has helped," Ross said. "In the college game, you had metal bats, hot weather, small parks. ... I gave up a lot of hits. The entire pro ball thing has helped me. I'm real confident right now."

"I'm throwing a lot more changeups," Ross said. "Teams know that I have it and have to respect it. I'm not just a fastball-slider guy."

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/images/2011/05/19/r4b6xL8H.jpg
Ross is tied for third in the Midwest League with 48 strikeouts. (Paul R. Gierhart/MiLB.com)

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Timber Rattlers profile: No. 19 Tony Pechek, catchercompiled by Mike Woods, Appleton Post-Crescent

Quick hits

- Height, Weight: 6-2 / 201.

- Position: Catcher.

- Bats/throws: Switch/right.

- Residence: Pueblo, Colo.

- Notes: Signed by the Brewers as a non-drafted free agent in 2009. … Was drafted by the Tigers in 2005 but opted for college instead. … Attended Wichita State, Central Arizona, Creighton and Colorado State University. … His father, Wayne, played one year in the Midwest League with Cedar Rapids in 1976 and reached as high as Triple-A with the Giants and Angels organizations.

Favorites

- Major league team growing up: "I love the Rockies. I was there when they started up in Denver and have been following them ever since."

- Major league player growing up: "I've got to go along the same lines. I've got to go Todd Helton. He's a childhood icon. He was there from the start and stayed faithful."

- Sport other than baseball: "I loved playing football and basketball growing up as a kid. Now, I like watching college football and I'd rather shoot hoops more than anything. Lord knows I'm not good at either one."

- Food: "I'm an ethnic boy so, anything ethnic my mom makes or my grandma makes, I've got to eat that."

- Thing about Pueblo: "Everything. Friends. Family. It's home. There's no other word to say than home."

- TV show: "I'm kind of stuck on 'House' right now."

- Musical artist: "Anything country. I'm a country boy for the most part. So any kind of country music or Texas country music I'm in love with."

- NFL team: "Packers, by far. My dad was a Packers fan and it rubbed off on me. I was pretty much a Brett Favre fan forever … better not say that, though."

Q&A

Q: You ended up on this odyssey of attending four colleges. What was that journey like?

A: "It was rough. I turned down the (Tigers') offer because I didn't think I was mature enough or ready to play pro ball and, you know what, I wasn't. So I chose Wichita State out of high school. A top-25 school. Actually have a history there. My brother went to school there. He was their equipment manager. My dad played for (coach) Gene Stephenson when Gene was the assistant at OU (Oklahoma). I went there and kind of got lost in the mix — wasn't quite good enough for that level. I was a third-string catcher. I should have red-shirted but didn't and wasted a year with only 23 at-bats.

"They moved a red-shirt senior first baseman to catcher that next fall. So I left there and went to a junior college. I loved my junior college. Central Arizona was a great place for me. From there I only had two offers: Creighton or Northern Colorado. I'm a stubborn person, a competitive person, so I wanted to take (the Creighton offer) and go back in the Missouri Valley and show Gene I could play. Made probably the worst decision of my baseball career going to Creighton sight unseen. Didn't fit in with the coaches. Didn't really fit in with the players. We kind of butted heads a little. From there, I didn't want to go back and, financially, I couldn't get a loan to go back. So I finished up back at home, in Division II at Pueblo."

Q: You ended up signing with the Brewers as a non-drafted free agent. Did you feel lucky, thankful or what?

A: "It was a bit of everything. The draft came and went. I wasn't a big profile person and I really wasn't upset. I was playing in a men's summer league, just kind of screwing around playing everywhere but catcher. I got a phone call at my sister's rehearsal dinner. And they said, 'Can you be out here Saturday?' I said, 'I can't. My sister's getting married Saturday.' They said, 'OK, first thing Sunday morning, you're here.' Then I asked, 'What position am I playing.' I had no idea where they saw me play. I'm very appreciative of (Brewers scout) Chris Bourjos, who put my name out there. I love this opportunity."

Q: How do you prepare with your starting pitcher before the game?

A: "Whatever he wants, I will do. I usually try to beat him out there for a stretch so I get loose first, so when he gets out there, whatever he needs, I'm there for him. The game's about him. We can't do anything without him throwing that ball to me."

Q: So do you go over hitters and the like?

A: "We do. We'll have a pregame meeting before we even step foot on the field. We'll sit there and talk about hitters. We'll see their lineup and write everything down. We'll communicate the rest of the game according to what we see and make adjustments from there."

Q: How soon do you know if your starting pitcher is on top of his game?

A: "Recently, it's been pretty easy because I go with Austin Ross (5-1, 1.64 ERA) every game."

Q: Do you try to work the ump to get favorable calls as the game goes on?

A: "Who threw me under the bus? No, you know what? A lot of (umpires), we've had in previous years — the Pioneer League and the Arizona League — and you get to know them pretty well. You get to know them as people. You actually end up hanging out with them when you go on the road. You see them out for dinner and stuff. And when you're talking to them, they're like anyone else. They're trying to have a good performance so they move up. But you really are trying to work them."

Q: Do you like to talk during the game or no?

A: "I'm always talking. They're laughing. They should mic me up for a game. I'm always saying something."

Q: What's the most memorable collision you've had at the plate?

A: "Probably my first two weeks of pro ball. I got blown up at home plate against the Angels in the 14th inning. The infield was in, guy came and I just remember falling back on my heels and him hitting me. But I hung onto the ball. I got the out."

Q: What's the worst part about being a catcher?

A: "Day in and day out, just the wear and tear on your body. It's not an easy position. Mentally it's not easy. You want your pitcher to do so well you're constantly thinking and, if he has a bad outing, it falls back on you because you take it so personally. Your knees don't feel good — in most cases, you're throwing twice as much as most any pitcher. Other than that, it's a great position. I love it."

Q: What is the best part about being a catcher?

A: "You get to handle the ball every pitch and you're always dictating the entire game — outside once the ball leaves the pitcher's hand. You get to tell the position players where to go. You get to put on some plays. You get to call the pitches. I wouldn't trade it for the world."

Q: Do you and the pitcher more often than not agree on what pitches to call?

A: "It comes with trust. Also it's ultimately on them what pitch they have the most faith in at that time. I give them what I think would be the best pitch and then it's their job to execute, and if they don't like that, it's my job to know what I think they're thinking. So we move on to the next page until we come to an agreement."

A: "My mitt. Oh God, yes, it's my baby. It doesn't go in my bag. I carry it with me wherever I go. It sits with me on my seat on bus trips."

Q: Your father Wayne also played pro baseball. How important has he been to you in your development?

A: "More than he knows and more than I let him know. My dad was an outfielder. He actually was blessed with speed, unlike me. I have my mom's cheerleading speed. Thanks, mom."

Q: Favorite sports moment you've ever been a part of or watched?

A: "Being a part of last year's team and winning a ring at Helena. We had a great group of guys and most those guys are on this team. We were a close group. We all get along, even to this day. Guys who were released, I still talk to regularly."

Q: Whom do you admire most?

A: "It has to be my dad. He went through the same thing. He understands. But pretty much any family member. My family is an extraordinary group of people and I look up to each and every one of them."

Q: How did you end up with the middle name of August?

A: "My Mom's maiden name. All boys on her side are all August and that's how I got stuck."

Q: How great is your last name, which is pronounced "pay-check?"

A: "It has its perks. Most people really can't say it if you say it ethnically. So that's why we tried to Americanize it and make it 'Paycheck.' But it's awesome. I get made fun of quite a bit for that one."

The Tool Box

Timber Rattlers manager Matt Erickson breaks down catcher Tony Pechek:

"He's been probably our most pleasant surprise on our team so far. He's kind of got that warrior complex to him. He's kind of a guy where he's always sick, or something is bugging him, but he's going to get through it kind of thing. I think he kind of gets himself up on that. But our pitchers love throwing to him. He calls a good game. He brings energy to the game from the catching position, which is huge. I think he controls the game pretty good. He's kind of a jack-of-all-trades. Defensively, he does everything OK. But I think his energy and personality make him pretty good at what he does.

"He's a switch-hitter offensively. He puts the ball in play. He doesn't get cheated with his hacks. I know he hasn't had a ton of at-bats or a ton of opportunities but he's the guy in the clubhouse that, no matter what, he's always upbeat. A good character guy."

The Rattlers' Tony Pechek loves being a catcher despite the physical toll. / Post-Crescent photo by Sharon Cekada

http://cmsimg.postcrescent.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=U0&Date=20110522&Category=APC020602&ArtNo=105220606&Ref=AR&MaxW=300&Border=0

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Timber Rattlers Profile: No. 21 Franklin Romero, outfielder

Quick hits

- Position: Right field.

- Height, weight: 5-foot-8, 180.

- Hometown: New York City.

- Notes: Selected by the Brewers in the 20th round of the 2009 First-Year Player Draft. … Last year split time between Helena (rookie), Wisconsin (low A) and Brevard County (high A). … His godfather is Tony Pena, an 18-year major league veteran and current New York Yankees bench coach.

Favorites

- MLB team growing up: "New York Yankees. I was born and raised in New York City and, as a kid, it was one of the best things for me, going to a game at Yankee Stadium. My dad would say we're going to a Yankees game and I'd be pumped for two days before the game. It was a big thing for me."

- MLB player growing up: "Roberto Clemente. He has always been one of my all-time favorite players."

- Sport other than baseball: "Formula One Racing. My dad and me have actually gone to Barcelona for a race. We're really into it."

- Favorite thing about New York: "Summer. We'd play baseball all day in the middle of the streets."

- TV show: "That 70's Show."

- Musical artist. "Don Omar. He's a Spanish reggaeton singer, but he's just not reggaeton. He'll do any kind of music."

- NFL team: "Not really. I'm not really into the NFL. I'm more into basketball and I like the Miami Heat."

Q&A

Q: How big an influence has Tony Pena been on you?

A: "He's taught me a lot about the game, not just physically but mentally. The experience that he has. He's been with so many teams and knows so much about the game it's incredible. To me, he's taught me what I need to do when I have a rough time or when I'm going good. Any time I need something, I just give him a call. He's always there to tell me the words I need to hear."

Q: So growing up in New York, did you play stickball?

A: "Oh yeah. Nothing has changed there. You've got a square box and then you've got the blue ball and the broomstick. That's big time. We still actually play when I go back to New York."

Q: How did you end up at Cerro Coso Community College in California?

A: "I went to high school in the Dominican Republic and there was a program called the RBI (Reviving Baseball in the Inner Cities). I played for the RBI in the Dominican for three years and, my senior year, our RBI team won the Caribbean series. So we went out to California for the RBI World Series. I was recruited by the Cerro Coso coach, and soon as I got done with high school, I went out to California."

Q: How do you rate your experience there?

A: "For me is was different. The West (Coast) is really different. It's not the same as Florida (where he lives in Miami) or New York but I had a good experience. I learned a lot from the coach, I learned a lot from the league. I had fun."

Q: I think I know, but what is the significance to No. 21?

A: "That's for Roberto Clemente. I always really try to get that number. It means a lot to me, carrying his number. For the player he was, and not only the player but the person he was. Helping the needy and everything. To me, it's not just because I like the number 21. It means a lot to me."

Q: Who has been your biggest influence?

A: "I would say my father, Franklin Romero. My father came from a very poor family and, at the age of 16, he came here to the United States and started working. He's taught me that from having nothing you can have a lot. He's now a record producer. He's accomplished so much and I'm so proud of him. I look at him as my hero, my idol, everything. He's taught me all that I need to know."

Q: How did you end up playing high school ball in the Dominican?

A: "I would say it was actually a plan between my mom and my dad. When I was in middle school, I used to live in Florida and, when I was done, my parents saw my talent as a baseball player. So they decided for us to move to the Dominican. My dad wanted me to experience Dominican baseball."

Q: So what was that experience like?

A: "Dominican baseball is way harder. Over there, it's not by age, like Little League. If you fit in the category and you're able to be at the same level as other players, you're staying in that league. It's based on skill level. I was always the youngest one (on the team) when I went to the Dominican to play. It was a good experience and I think that is one of the best things (my parents) have done, take me out there to have that experience. I learned so much."

A: "I actually have my first baseball cleats. My mom saved those for me and I have them hanging up in my room."

Q: What is your favorite sports moment?

A: "I would say, last year, our Helena team won the championship. There've been guys who've been playing professionally who played in the minor league and got to the major leagues and never won a ring. To me that was something special, and something I'll always have the rest of my life. Having that championship ring and being a part of that."

Q: Was being assigned again to Appleton to start this season a disappointment to you?

A: "Not really. As long as I'm playing baseball I'll be fine. The most important thing is just learning and I have much to learn still. This game is about learning and getting better each day."

The Tool Box

Timber Rattlers manager Matt Erickson breaks down right fielder Franklin Romero:

"Frankie has some physical tools. He's lightning in a bottle. He's a weapon on the bases. He can really run. He's got a great arm. Those are, I guess, his plus tools. Offensively, the more contact he can make, the more pressure he can put on the defense, the better he's going to become.

He's struggled over the past couple of years with recognition of breaking balls and off-speed pitches and going out of the zone. So if we can get his plate discipline better to where he's putting more balls in play, he's just going to continue to improve. But he has got to buy into that and I think he understands that. It's just a matter of taking the information from up here (the indoor batting cage) and what we work on down there during competition. Our outfield, in general, throws the baseball pretty good. They have a number of assists and he probably has the best arm out there of the group."

Timber Rattlers right fielder Franklin Romero wears the number (21) of his boyhood baseball hero, Roberto Clemente. / Post-Crescent photo by Ron Page

http://cmsimg.postcrescent.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=U0&Date=20110529&Category=APC020602&ArtNo=105290566&Ref=AR&MaxW=640&Border=0

Yea well that's my ceiling too.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Its amazing, everyone and there mom realizes guys like Ross and Thornburg are to old to be left dominating in the Midwest League and should be challenged except Nichols.... Also thecrew07 hit it on the end, everyone's ceiling is a reliever to some of these guys. Thornburg develops a good change-up they is no reason he can't be a #3 ot #4 guy. Also I think Law needs to check out the rosters, a 22 year old isn't "WAY" to old for the Midwest league 21 is about the average. Funny, guys 20 are young and 22 way to old... amazing.

Archived